The New Raith Rovers Thread

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 20:54, Ro Sham Bo said:

This is brutal. Running a squad of 16 and trying to win promotion.

We're going to be in this division for a very long time.

Decent then we are running a squad of 21!

Thompson, Wright, McGuff

Watson, Davo, McKay, Bene, Murray, Valentine

Wedderburn, Gillespie, Matthews, Milne, Flanagan, Berry, Stevenson

Vaughan, Nesbit, Buchanan, Duggan, Smith

33 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

Decent then we are running a squad of 21!

Thompson, Wright, McGuff

Watson, Davo, McKay, Bene, Murray, Valentine

Wedderburn, Gillespie, Matthews, Milne, Flanagan, Berry, Stevenson

Vaughan, Nesbit, Buchanan, Duggan, Smith

Some of these players are only there to make up the numbers.

We're running with a squad of 16.

23 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

Some of these players are only there to make up the numbers.

We're running with a squad of 16.

So squad players then? They wouldn't have been resigned if they didn't have potential. Valentine looks decent - played a few games this season already.

Edited by GhostZapper

But they're not ready yet in the way that McKay is for example. Like everyone else I'm hoping that we do what we did to Forfar more often and allow players like Valentine 10-15 minutes towards the end of a game that we've already seen out. But these players will not start games or be brought on as tactical subs. They're there to make up the numbers for now - like McKay used to be.

24 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

But they're not ready yet in the way that McKay is for example. Like everyone else I'm hoping that we do what we did to Forfar more often and allow players like Valentine 10-15 minutes towards the end of a game that we've already seen out. But these players will not start games or be brought on as tactical subs. They're there to make up the numbers for now - like McKay used to be.

So we have what you are describing as a first team of 16, and a squad of 21.....

Irrespective of whether or not they are ready, they are still squad players. They'll be used when and if we need them to play.

Fascinating that this team can win a game 4-0, dominating a game, keeping a clean sheet, playing a style of attractive football the week after an incredible show of character and spirit by winning a game 4-3, having a striker who is second top goal scorer in all of the Scottish leagues, Lewis Vaughan coming back and scoring, Duggan getting off the mark and grabbing a goal and yet there are still people out there that will find something to moan about.

I genuinely wonder sometimes if there are Raith fans who hate it when we win as it gives them nothing to be unhappy about. It's embarrassing how reluctant people are to get behind this team and how quick they are to criticise.

Smith's comments in his post match interview against Airdrie were to the effect of 'it would be unfair to ask these youngsters to come on and do a mans job'. He obviously feels a lot of them aren't ready yet and if he has other options available he'll go down that route. As we saw on Saturday if we're cruising they might get a chance i.e. Valentine coming on. 

8 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Fascinating that this team can win a game 4-0, dominating a game, keeping a clean sheet, playing a style of attractive football the week after an incredible show of character and spirit by winning a game 4-3, having a striker who is second top goal scorer in all of the Scottish leagues, Lewis Vaughan coming back and scoring, Duggan getting off the mark and grabbing a goal and yet there are still people out there that will find something to moan about.

I genuinely wonder sometimes if there are Raith fans who hate it when we win as it gives them nothing to be unhappy about. It's embarrassing how reluctant people are to get behind this team and how quick they are to criticise.

Please point out the unfair criticism in the post you quoted. 

He said Smith won't use some of the young players yet as they aren't ready.  This was pretty much confirmed by Smith in his post much interview vs Airdrie. There is absolutely nothing incorrect there at all. 

He said Smith won't use some of the young players yet as they aren't ready.  This was pretty much confirmed by Smith in his post much interview vs Airdrie. There is absolutely nothing incorrect there at all. 

Apologies, the quoted post was directed at Ro Sham Bos post regarding his negative attitude towards the squad size. I couldn't find his post and quoted the wrong one.

On the point of players being there to 'make up the numbers', I would agree just now. But now that the reserve league has stared I would be expecting these guys on the bench to be at least playing regularly in that and hopefully getting some more experience under their belt. The issue we have os that it won't be a reserve league at our level as the the majority of the teams in the league won't have squads big enough to be playing senior players with the younger players and it will effectively continue to be an under 20s league.

I'll stand by that post. Stevenson, McGuff, Berry and Smith aren't going to get a look in so we've a squad of 17 players who are likely to get on the pitch. Look at us against Airdrie, Smith even admitted that he couldn't bring anyone off the bench for that match other than Duggan. 

Unless we steer clear of injuries and suspension this season then the reality is that Smith is rarely going to have the option of 3 viable substitutes on a week to week basis. That's very poor if you ask me.

Can I also point out it was made prior to the match on Saturday and not afterwards.

Also in his interview Barry was ecstatic with the character of the team. That’s the Barry Smith we’ve been waiting for. If the manager thinks the kids aren’t ready then who are we to criticise. League 1 is a lot more robust than say the championship and above.

Also in his interview Barry was ecstatic with the character of the team. That’s the Barry Smith we’ve been waiting for. If the manager thinks the kids aren’t ready then who are we to criticise. League 1 is a lot more robust than say the championship and above.
Barry Smith didn't think hendry was ready last season and he was one of our better players in the run in. He also at every opertunity drops mckay despite him being our best option at cb. I'd say we have every right to criticise his poor judgement the same as he should get the plaudits when he does something right.

Barry Smith didn't think hendry was ready last season and he was one of our better players in the run in. He also at every opertunity drops mckay despite him being our best option at cb. I'd say we have every right to criticise his poor judgement the same as he should get the plaudits when he does something right.

“Poor judgement” - yet top equal and recently free scoring?