The New Raith Rovers Thread

I’m certainly not advocating we start, sorry, continue to shell it towards our forwards, but if it’s a means to a positive end then it’s hunky-dory.

John McGlynn’s side was a difficult watch at times, but did I enjoy winning the third tier, challenging for the second and getting to the Scottish Cup semi finals? Of course I did.

Playing that way while achieving your goals or punching above your weight is fair enough.

Playing that way and being tripe isn’t.

Because that's been his tactics his whole managerial career. He's not suddenly going to change and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Excluding the cup game in Dingwall, there's been some great displays of passing and moving this season with the occasional long ball thrown in. You can definitely see that the players are a bit more creative this season than last.

Everyone seems to think that Smiths tactics were 'punt it long'. They weren't at all. If you remember that day at home against Alloa (the 0-0) and several other very underwhelming games, the players were moving the ball about and 10 Alloa players were camped in their own half watching. It wasn't until we started going a bit more direct that chances started being created because we were putting them under a bit more pressure. Last season we didn't have the creative spark for passing and moving and breaking teams down so it seemed the 'Plan B' was to go long and direct. A lot of the time it didn't work and wasn't pretty but with Smiths win record last season it must have served some kind of purpose.

According to the FFP there is a final shortlist of 5 or 6. No new candidates mentioned but it does say that Robson hasn't made the shortlist.

Interviews to commence next week with a view to having someone in place by the end of the week.

Money is available to bring in loan players before the end of the month according to Clark. Doesn't exactly give the new manager much time to assess the squad first though.

I know the board want to get this right but didn't they say they were doing the interviews this week.  Clark says they need to approach the clubs for speaking to certain candidates but surely that doesn't take over a week to do.  It feels like they aren't sure what they need or want so hoping Cuthbert works out.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

According to the FFP there is a final shortlist of 5 or 6. No new candidates mentioned but it does say that Robson hasn't made the shortlist.

Interviews to commence next week with a view to having someone in place by the end of the week.

Money is available to bring in loan players before the end of the month according to Clark. Doesn't exactly give the new manager much time to assess the squad first though.

It will be Cuthbert. It’s typical Rovers. Waste a couple of weeks of everyone’s time and appoint someone they could have appointed immediately. 

Edited to say I’m not actually opposed to it being Cuthbert. He’s as much chance as anyone else linked with the job to get us up. 

Edited by roverthemoon

7 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

It will be Cuthbert. It’s typical Rovers. Waste a couple of weeks of everyone’s time and appoint someone they could have appointed immediately. 

Edited to say I’m not actually opposed to it being Cuthbert. He’s as much chance as anyone else linked with the job to get us up. 

no offence to cat but a big no for me, too much too soon for him, oh Danny boy the pipes are calling

Might be wrong, but suspect the length of time to appoint a new manager is as much about cash flow as making sure they find the right person 

There’s clearly a reason we’ve waited so long - three weeks before even interviewing seems ridiculous on the face of it - but not sure how cash flow would be involved. In theory Smith’s wage is currently being saved.

My conspiracy theory would be the board like Cuthbert and are giving him every chance to ‘win’ the job. Would be more palatable to appoint him after a win than a 5-0 dicking.

3 minutes ago, Paco said:

There’s clearly a reason we’ve waited so long - three weeks before even interviewing seems ridiculous on the face of it - but not sure how cash flow would be involved. In theory Smith’s wage is currently being saved.

My conspiracy theory would be the board like Cuthbert and are giving him every chance to ‘win’ the job. Would be more palatable to appoint him after a win than a 5-0 dicking.

I think thats the case.  If it is Cuthbert I'd rather they just announced it and sort out an experience assistant to help him out.

14 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

I think thats the case.  If it is Cuthbert I'd rather they just announced it and sort out an experience assistant to help him out.

I'd rather do it the other way around ie appoint the likes of Danny Lennon and have Cuthbert as his assistant, learning along the way.

That way Cuthbert will be given time to develop and we'll avoid appointing yet another long ball manager. Personally, I'm utterly sick to death of  that brand of football.

If we do go for the likes of Duffy and his ilk it will prove that the new board has learned absolutely nothing from the mistakes of previous boards.