The New Raith Rovers Thread

On the face of it, the first 60-70 minutes give us a lot to be optimistic about. The front four were absolutely superb. 

However, I do worry what sort of psychological damage that capitulation will do to us. Any time we are a couple of goals up and a team pull one back, it's always going to be in the back of our minds. 

Next week is huge. A win and it's all forgotten about. Shame it's ICT.... 

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

On the face of it, the first 60-70 minutes give us a lot to be optimistic about. The front four were absolutely superb. 

However, I do worry what sort of psychological damage that capitulation will do to us. Any time we are a couple of goals up and a team pull one back, it's always going to be in the back of our minds. 

Next week is huge. A win and it's all forgotten about. Shame it's ICT.... 

This will make us or deflate us.  Think where gonna take it on the chin, a kick up the butt, at the start o the season 

When we are winning and have a clean sheet, we are a joy to watch. Some lovely play from the midfield, little balls through to each other, it’s lovely.
As soon as we concede even 1 goal, a nervousness seems to set in and we don’t look confident at all.

There was a real naivety as the 2nd half went on.  Fair fucks to Hamilton, who went for it even at 4-0 down, but putting 2 untested teenagers on, even at 4-1, is not the way to see a game out.  I think Mcglynn tried to stretch the game out, but Hamilton were already giving us a bit of bother - shoring it up at that point would have been wiser.  That said, both lads spurned glorious chances to wrap things up.

To have 2 centre backs on the bench, and not utilise either of them given the situation we were facing, was wild.

Riley-Snow looked absolutely lost - looked like he got totally done for the 3rd goal, but I'd need to see it again.  

As much as there was a lot to be positive about today, the way in which the side totally fell apart in those 20 minutes is deeply concerning.  Defending cross balls is probably the one thing you would hang your hat on an experienced defence doing.  I'm also concerned about the potential psychological impact as the season goes on.  No lead will feel safe.

Minor gripe in the grand scheme of things, but there is very little point in having a scoreboard and timer if both are routinely wrong. 

Can’t even see it from the away end.
Obviously we want to favour the home end but surely both ends could see it if it was flat against the wall of the railway stand rather than angled towards the south stand?

Although if it’s usually wrong then it’s not that big a miss for the away fans.....

Just about ready to put some thoughts together from yesterday, a quite incredible and embarrassing collapse.

Unfortunately, I feel like something like that has been coming for a while. We never make it easy for ourselves. Since McGlynn came back we have seen a 3-2 defeat at home to Stranraer having led 2-0. Draws against Clyde, Arbroath and the Pars having led 2-0 and some near misses such as the 3-2 wins vs Elgin & Hearts as well as 4-3 vs Montrose and 5-3 vs East Fife where comfortable leads have ended in tense finishes. Even the 5-2 wins at Alloa and QOS had very nervy moments before late goals calmed things down.

I’m not going to be overly critical despite the above because that type of thing is what has made John McGlynn mk II so exciting to watch. We are always on the front foot looking for goals. We have scored 3 or more 27 times since he came back, that’s 3 or more goals in almost a quarter of the games. However, there comes a point where you just need to be sensible and close a game out but our game management was sorely lacking yesterday. A painful lesson for a young team.

In fairness, I thought Blaise for Vaughan was a sensible sub at 4-2. Strengthen the midfield to protect the back 4 and allow us to get our foot on the ball and control the game. However, BRS looked well off the pace. In hindsight, McKay should have come on and saw us go to 5-4-1. Easy in hindsight though, at 4-0 it looked a matter of how many, we were carving Hamilton open and they were offering very little.

Lessons will surely be learned from this. I’m sure McGlynn will make the team sit through the last 25 minutes in the video analysis this week to see where it went wrong. The defence has looked very solid in the league cup so hopefully that was the sign of things to come rather than yesterday. However, if not, we still have Musonda and Matthews to comeback who will strengthen us defensively and McKay and Lang are options too.

The positives are how good we were for 65 minutes. We all had concerns about our attack and where the goals would come from but that first 65 minutes was as good as anything we produced last season (and we still created good chances after that too). The movement of the front 4 was excellent, Zanatta and Connolly were brilliant. Poplatnik doesn’t look like he’ll score many goals but his hold up and link up play was very good. Early signs of a decent partnership between him and Vaughan who is just a class above.

The type of result that either obliterates confidence or galvanises the squad. Let’s hope it’s the latter, looking at our next few fixtures, we’ll really need to be at our best to get anything.

We were inspired In the first half, and somewhat in the second. Effectual substitutions by Hamilton and game gets turned on it’s head. How did we counter that. We put 2 untested  teenagers on and the defence was wide open. You don’t stay in the Premier league for so long without an ace up your sleeve and Hamilton had those in abundance. That capitulation was disgusting. A bit strong I know. But it felt like a defeat. 

The whole team needs to become fitter. The great pressing & closing down vanished after an hour or so letting Accies have much more freedom. we need to learn how to play for 90 minutes.

Still raging about yesterday’s result and disappointed in Mcglynn with his philosophical interview afterwards, he should have been angry and guaranteed the players would have watched it and got the message. Tumility at fault for at least 1 and we need to stop crosses coming into our box .  I hope they are in for training today can’t reward that kind of collapse 

18 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Still raging about yesterday’s result and disappointed in Mcglynn with his philosophical interview afterwards, he should have been angry and guaranteed the players would have watched it and got the message. Tumility at fault for at least 1 and we need to stop crosses coming into our box .  I hope they are in for training today can’t reward that kind of collapse 

Don't see what good that would have done.  I'd imagine the players have been told that isn't good enough, but throwing the players under the bus on an interview won't help.  

Whilst McGlynn didn't come across as angry in his interview, I would have said shell-shocked would be a better description of his manner. 

He also made a point of saying that we had several opportunities to make it 5.