The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Leaving aside the wrongs and we'll, wrongs of the moral issue, you have to wonder about the decision-making of a board that didn't even think to run this past their main sponsor, who might not want to have their personal brand associated with a fucking rapist. 

I suspect the reason they didn't consult is that they wouldn't have liked the answer, which tells you everything you need to know. 

This is a massive point.  If the club didn't think the reaction was going to be like this, they are mad.  If they did and did it anyway, then that's even worse.

Just now, virginton said:

Leaving aside the wrongs and we'll, wrongs of the moral issue, you have to wonder about the decision-making of a board that didn't even think to run this past their main sponsor, who might not want to have their personal brand associated with a fucking rapist. 

I suspect the reason they didn't consult is that they wouldn't have liked the answer, which tells you everything you need to know. 

Val released a statement in December on this very subject. She said she had previously lobbied against any such move as a board member, and as main sponsor she would absolutely not want to have him running about with her name on his chest. 

8 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

I'll be there to cheer him onto the pitch tomorrow.

Even better, we'll see if the woke brigade on here quit as promised :)

Absolutely no surprise that one of the posters who defended that racist Davidson sticks up for a *checks notes* rapist.

Says a lot about you as a person.

Edited by RiG

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

They knew her stance. She made it clear when the rumours came out a few weeks ago. So they either didn’t care, or banked on her backing down. 

So yous guys have probably paid a fee for Goodwillie and he’d now signed up to a long deal.

Surely with all this stir he isn’t actually going to play for you? Sounds like the majority of the fan base will just be offski.

Also I don’t really remember much fuss from Clyde fans about him and not even opposition fans. Is Raith a particularly strong community club?

Rape is clearly one of the most atrocious crimes out there, but remember it was a civil court. Just out of interest how can someone earn forgiveness from something like that? Seems to me like a murderer has more chance of earning that long-term.

To be fair, I've not been going regularly the last two or three years anyway, and my dad is no longer able to go, so the decision isn't such a wrench as it would have been a few years back.

But I'm shitting the bed. That's me done.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

McDermid publicly stated earlier in January that she would remove her sponsorship and never be back if this deal happened. It’s not that they didn’t consult, it’s that they just don’t care. For what it’s worth, a lot of fans seemed to be very vocal and talking about messages they had sent to their SLO expressing concerns and disapproval as well. The board have sacrificed morals, fans and financial support, to try and score more goals.

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

Is there a moral dilemma? 

I don’t think ‘moral dilemma’ is the right wording, but I do think it’d be a difficult decision. If it were Thistle, I don’t think I could go while he was there, but I’d be giving up a huge part of my life and something that matters a lot to me. Regardless of the morality, that’s tough.

It’s still the right thing to do though. 

With all the good vibes the club have been trying to put out recently I just cannot believe they have done this.

The club I've supported and loved for nearly 50 years have just kicked me in the balls and it fucking hurts, they obviously don't understand or trust the feelings of their fans.

Honestly they could terminate this c***s contract today and it wouldn't repair the damage they have done. Can't express how angry I am.

Who are Kelty Hearts playing this weekend ?

You’ll have people attending the Queens match tonight despite this signing, who wouldn’t bother if the club weren’t challenging at the top end of the table.
Poor form puts them off more than rapist players. 

I mean you can’t criticise fans for going to support their club

3 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Rape is clearly one of the most atrocious crimes out there, but remember it was a civil court. Just out of interest how can someone earn forgiveness from something like that? Seems to me like a murderer has more chance of earning that long-term.

It being a civil court doesn’t diminish what he done.

He raped a women 

He’s never shown any remorse for what he did, so why should he be shown forgiveness for something he isn’t sorry for?

15 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I just don't understand what McGlynn and the board are thinking here. Even from a solely football perspective there are question marks over this deal given his age, but when you consider the baggage that comes with it, it's just utter, utter madness. Especially given the backlash a few weeks ago.

Then you read posts from lifelong supporters saying they won't be back, and see sponsors withdrawing from the club. How can we press the self destruct button like this? I can't say enough how sad it is that people have been put in this position.

I've no intention of stopping going, but the whole situation is deeply uncomfortable. Going to the football is supposed to be a release, not some horrible moral dilemma.

Lastly, there's the announcement last night, with no acknowledgement at all of the issues this would cause. Utterly pathetic.

Totally scunnered by us doing this.

100% agree with all of this, pretty much word for word my thoughts.