The New Raith Rovers Thread

30 minutes ago, RavyDavy said:

How does everyone feel about Kyle Benedictus' criminal record of serious assault and restraining order? Just putting out there... Interested to hear how it's justified that our club captain is celebrated despite a conviction for a serious and violent crime?

Football is the least moral sport out there. The game is littered with players found guilty of this that and the other and noone gives a feck. Declan Gallagher, Alan Lithgow, benedictus, McGowan at Dundee for example. Any individual out with football found guilty of some of those offences would be sacked straight away and would find it almost impossible just to pick up where they left off before the incident  If the player is good at playing football some clubs and fans seem willing to put up with all sorts of dodgy characters . Feck sake benzema has been found guilty of blackmailing a teammate but is still playing for real every week with little fuss. The goodwillie case I think due to it being rape and the lack of any remorse is probably a step too far but you are right other clubs need to look at some of the folk they've happily signed without a fuss over the years.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

I'm obviously staggered that a (from outward appearance) good community club would sign a rapist in the first place because even in Football's skewed value system, it's a huge step too far and is indefensible. Almost every club is looking for a striker in January - but uniquely, Rovers board thought this was the solution.

But leaving the obvious aside, I can't even see how this works as a short-term cynical, calculating decision. At it's most base, you would assume that their thinking is "whatever it takes to get promotion is worth it" - but if you lose sponsors/money, divide the support (and also the dressing room I'd imagine) and get heaps of bad press that would make folk think twice about taking their kids along - then it's massively unlikely that you'll enhance your position. 

It'll be interesting/depressing to see how this plays out. Ross County have successfully assimilated a known racist into their club as manager with no damage to the bottom line - maybe Rovers supporters will be the same as County's.

5 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

You’re literally more upset at getting red dots on an Internet forum than by your club signing a rapist.

What a creep you are.

No, I’m more concerned about signing the rapist.

Crack on with the red dots. I’m a collector.

I was worried at the start of December when all these rumours of a Goodwillie move came about to Falkirk/ Raith. I could see that Val McDermid was kicking up a fuss in the press rightly saying she was completely against the move, like any normal person would be. Falkirk don't really have a 'celebrity' fan that could make an issue about it in the media and it scared me that my club were being eerily quiet about the whole thing and looked like we were trying to get DG in. 

I don't know the ins or outs but I'm glad that myself and numerous other fans made the board aware through letters/emails that we wouldn't be back if the signing was made and thankfully the message was passed onto the board by Jamie Swinney. I don't know if it did anything but I'm glad we made a bit of noise about it. 

My mate text me last night and I was actually shocked to hear RR have signed him. I know Falkirk are desperate and the idiots of our supports argument was that we need to get out of league 1 by any means necessary. Raith are in a good place in the championship and I'm assuming financially so I can't really get how some are arguing the pros outweigh the cons. 

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Normally in situations where a club makes a massive arse of something, fans of other clubs pile in with slaggings

As an Ayr fan, we have been linked with him a few times and Rovers fans have my sympathy. 

The thought of going along to pay to not only watch him, but contribute to his wage. The abuse that will be heard at every ground he plays at, the fact you will have to wear the same replica kit as he wears on the pitch. None of it fans fault but they have to carry it with them.

This isn’t a time for slagging or “banter” Anyone trying to points score here needs to think what it would be like if he was pictured yesterday wearing your teams kit, scarf above head. 
If you think it wouldn’t bother you then you have no morals. 

Even if He scores the goal that wins the league for Rovers, the moral turmoil of being happy about it plus not wanting to celebrate it or looking like you have abandoned a moral stance because your club has done well.

If there is a cooling off period on his employment contract, Rovers may want to look in to damage limitation. 

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

Even if He scores the goal that wins the league for Rovers, the moral turmoil of being happy about it plus not wanting to celebrate it or looking like you have abandoned a moral stance because your club has done well.

If there is a cooling off period on his employment contract, Rovers may want to look in to damage limitation. 

Far too late for that, the damage was done as soon as he signed.

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

There won't be a cooling off period or you'd get clubs sending players back after a couple of shit games.Your best bet would have to be loaning him out to another club if you can find one.  Maybe Clyde?If you released him it would cost a fortune and he'd be unable to play for anyone else till the summer.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Raith are in a good place in the championship and I'm assuming financially so I can't really get how some are arguing the pros outweigh the cons.

The irony is, with the fans not wanting to return because of this, stopping their donations etc, plus the loss of their main sponsor (and potentially more sponsors), Raith Rovers may need promotion in order to remain in a good place financially.

2 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

The irony is, with the fans not wanting to return because of this, stopping their donations etc, plus the loss of their main sponsor (and potentially more sponsors), Raith Rovers may need promotion in order to remain in a good place financially.

Raith Rovers, sponsored by Clyde FC.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

😂 there’s hysterical outrage for you.  P&B style. Red dots. That’ll show me. I should just give up supporting Rovers, force the club to shut down and take up bowls. Not resigning from all things Rovers equals being pro-Goodwillie.

Wonder how long the hysterical shrieks and resignation letters will go on for?

46EC9771-5883-4107-8643-5F25671293B2.png

Red dots from the resident mob are a badge of honour. If you upset these b*****ds your'e saying something right :)

14 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Baffling signing not withstanding the supporter and financial impacts this signing has already had

And I think worth bearing in mind that Raith fans seemed at the time at least to raise the most money and effectively save their club from financial ruin in March 2020. For the same board to not 2 years down the line stick two fingers up at them seems incredible.

Not sure it's been reported on here but hearing Andy Mill has resigned from the board. No idea if true or related to this though

He’s gone and it’s explicitly in reference to the signing of Goodwillie.

For reference to other teams fans, Andy Mill was the fans director on the board. Would hope he isn’t the last to walk to be honest.

Just now, Paco said:

He’s gone and it’s explicitly in reference to the signing of Goodwillie.

For reference to other teams fans, Andy Mill was the fan’s director on the board. Would hope he isn’t the last to walk to be honest.

Good for him.