The New Raith Rovers Thread

14 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

f**k, where to start.

1) I think most people believe in rehabilitation and yes, Goodwillie should be given an opportunity to get on with his life. However, actions have consequences and his previous actions should have the consequences that he doesnt play football at a high level ever again. Football clubs are more than just winning and losing, they are a vital source of local engagement and togetherness, particularly outside the top flight. So yes, I can take the view that Goodwillie should be allowed a life, but not in the sport that means so much to so many within local communities. Like it or not, football isnt a normal job and footballers/managers/coaches have an inherent responsibility to their club and wider community that isnt present in other jobs. The mere presence of Goodwillie compromises everything a community club is meant to stand for and sends an awful message to young supports, both male and female. A footballer's role is more akin to a politician than any other job in terms of public scrutiny. 

2) Yes, players, coaches and managers have been convicted of criminal activity in the past and been allowed to continue playing or coaching without much fuss, but it is entirely dependent on the nature of the crime. There are absolutely difference levels to crime and rape is up there with child abuse and murder as things the average person (see: fan) cannot fathom. I would guess we can all imagine a scenario where we get caught up in something and end up assaulting someone or stealing something, but I for one cant imagine why anyone would force themselves sexually onto someone else. So yes, a red line gets drawn at vile acts we cant comprehend.

3) Martindale has repeatedly shown remorse for his past and works on schemes to prevent others getting caught up as he did. 

Should Martindale be allowed to manage at such a high level though given his conviction is for drug dealing? At least he's worked his way up from the bottom of the pile at Livingston I suppose. My main point is that people in football should be treated exactly the same way as anyone else who commits offences. It's far too easy just to pick up where you left off when it comes to football whilst others in employment outside have to confront a very different situation.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

3 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

So just to summarise we've now seen the resignations from a key sponsor, a fan director, our SLO as well as the Captain of our women's team. That's not covering the ones who haven't said anything publicly like volunteers, as well as fans who are choosing not to go back. A real 200 iq move from the board.

Seen a couple of volunteers on twitter saying they had jacked it.

33 minutes ago, Piehutt said:

Think it's fair to say this decision has backfired massively on Raith and they have lost all control of the story. 

I also think they are legally hamstrung from saying very much. As the players employers, they have a duty to act in his interests, so I'm sure couldn't release a statement referring to the civil case found against him. 

I personally believe in rehabilitation and if you do, you can't really take the view that 'as long as it's not in my club, my sport, my league, something I care about' etc. 

Without speaking with the player it is tricky to know if he is remorseful or if he is worthy of rehabilitation. I'm not aware of any statement he has made to that end. 

My guess is Raith may well have to place the player on garden leave. 

Other point - I'm sure plenty of clubs have hired people with criminal convictions, burglary, assault etc. Be they players or staff. But suddenly there is a huge red line drawn at this?

There seemed to be a fair bit of support for David Martindale, for example, who did jail time for organised crime and money laundering. Who knows what impact his actions would have had on people's lives, and what else may have happened that he wasn't convicted of. 

Don't disagree with all of this but yes absolutely a line is being drawn at Rape.  Different crimes are considered differently by society and justice.  I don't understand the point.  It's not assault.  It's not burglary or breach of the peace.  It's rape.

Although I wish him well, personally I don't think Martindale should have been given his prominent role either.  Rehabilitation yes, as a front line premiership manager, no.  

17 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

You've been a shining light in a sea of shithousing for years Yoss. A thoroughly brilliant poster.

Well I can't really greenie that now can I? But thank you.

How the board and manager could have thought there would be any other reaction that what's happened is absolutely crazy. It's beyond belief.

The club is imploding in front of our eyes and still there's no statement.

Sad to say but I can only see one outcome here and that's McGlynn leaving and SIM having to meet the cost of ripping up a huge contract. If that doesn't happen I can't see any way back for the club.

15 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

3) Martindale has repeatedly shown remorse for his past and works on schemes to prevent others getting caught up as he did. 

With you up to point 3. He may well have voiced remorse, and claimed to be on the straight and narrow, yet in 2017, he had to hand over £35k having hidden assets bought with his drug money which he then tried to sell. 

Not quite the reformed character he claims himself to be. Just as that “club” are not what they claim themselves to be.

1 minute ago, RavyDavy said:

Anyone want to pass comment on Alan Lithgow's past convictions? 

Alan Lithgow did not rape anyone. Try again. (Actually, just stop).

And for the record, plenty of Morton fans are still slamming the club at every opportunity for the decision to sign him, 6 months on.

10 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

Here is a link to the judgment. The vast majority of the judgment involves setting out the facts, which can be difficult for some to read.

The actual decision begins at paragraph 329 right toward the bottom of the page. It doesn't include any description of the sexual activity, so may be easier reading, and clearly sets out the Court's findings.

DC AGAINST (FIRST) DG AND (SECOND) DR (scotcourts.gov.uk)

No! No!

Please do not suggest that it may be easier reading. It should make any one reading it uncomfortable. It's a rape case. 

Sexual activity may have been missionary with lights out, the fact it was non consensual is the issue, any bon consensual sexual activity it rape.

1 minute ago, Jamie_M said:

Alan Lithgow did not rape anyone. Try again. (Actually, just stop).

And for the record, plenty of Morton fans are still slamming the club at every opportunity for the decision to sign him, 6 months on.

Lithgow wanking at young mothers pushing their kids in prams down the street is fecking horrendous mind you. God knows how it affected those poor women involved.  That's over the line when it comes to it too just not as far over as rape.

My last word on this. It’s uplifting to see so many Raith fans appalled by this. Thing is, the horrible new nickname of Rape Rovers is going to stick.

Those who are so screwed up as to think this is fine and dandy are indeed a small minority. Sad then that such a minority has the entire Rovers BoD and their football manager as key members.

10 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

After digesting last nights news and much soul searching I will be adding my name to the list of fans who won’t be going while David Goodwillie is on our books. 

I tried to think maybe I could still support my team despite him(I understand why some want to) but I can’t in good conscience endorse this signing no matter my love for my local club.

I’m heartbroken that some of our board feel it’s acceptable to sign this player and the message it sends out to the community and our families. I urge the board to see sense and terminate his contract with immediate effect. 

From being the club that stood tall against The Rangers fiasco in 2012 to this. I’m absolutely devastated. 

I’m devastated for you. We’ve been linked with him over the last couple of years so I have already had to ponder what my reaction would be and came to the same conclusion as you have. I’ve been an Ayr fan for 35 years and can’t bear the thought of having to walk away but it would just have to be. I hope this mess can be rectified sufficiently for you and the other decent Raith fans to get your club back. From the outside looking in this would have to be the terminating of his contract and the people who sanctioned his signing leaving the club too.

8 minutes ago, RavyDavy said:

Anyone want to pass comment on Alan Lithgow's past convictions? 

Your scrambling attempts at whataboutery are absolutely pathetic.

Edited by RiG