The New Raith Rovers Thread

52 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Are these brand new edgelord accounts all the same guy?

No idea what an edgelord account is .. but long time reader never contributor..however on monday that changed when i was so disgusted by the signing i made a post about it, also stating i was withdrawing my contribution to the player development fund, which will still be witheld.

Now returning to reader and non contributor. 

Thanks for your interest.

13 minutes ago, renton said:

So I can kind of see how, a blinkered manager under pressure to get the result would offer up the name to the chairman who would see it in the same narrow footballing/finances from promotion terms and ram it down the throats of a compliant board. The CEO who could have offered an independent and critical analysis was in fact not independent probably backing her husband's position which in turn was simply McGlynns.

An uninterrupted, positive feedback loop.

Nope, I really don't see it. 

For one they had the prior warning from the start of the month that the fans would react awfully, they couldn't have had a clearer reality check. Even after they decided they were to to pursue him they had a board meeting, they knew it'd be bad, really bad. How many signings do you think require a board meeting to go through? How many signings have directors threatening to resign? Despite this they still battered on with it. 

No, I really can't understand it at all, McGlynn is a rape apologist and I hope he gets reminded of that en masses at every game he has the audacity to manage. 

Good things in the world of Graham Spiers - 

• Defending a racist
  • Defending a rapist

Bad things in the world of Graham Spiers - 

• Fans banding together to demand their club not sign a rapist
  • Eating lunch in the BBC canteen with a woman who isn't his wife
Edited by Highland Capital

I have only been dipping in and out of this thread, but I am pleased for all decent Raith fans - and the last few days have shown that there are so many. It is so easy to be tribal in football, and I suppose that is one of the things that makes it so compelling, but it can too often lead to some defending the frankly indefensible. It should never have come to this, of course, and hopefully there is more to come for those responsible for the signing, but credit to all those who stood against it. 

Spiers previous for backing McKay means he's at best a weirdo.

But, I'm genuinely incredulous at the sentence 'there is a key issue now facing the Scottish football community... How to help David Goodwillie.'

You mean the unrepentant rapist who is about to pocket a six figure payoff for doing f**k all ?

I'll set up the GoFundMe page Graham.

Jesus wept.

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

Nope, I really don't see it. 

For one they had the prior warning from the start of the month that the fans would react awfully, they couldn't have had a clearer reality check. Even after they decided they were to to pursue him they had a board meeting, they knew it'd be bad, really bad. How many signings do you think require a board meeting to go through? How many signings have directors threatening to resign? Despite this they still battered on with it. 

No, I really can't understand it at all, McGlynn is a rape apologist and I hope he gets reminded of that en masses at every game he has the audacity to manage. 

I had so much respect for John McGlynn until this transfer, he’d done a great job for us in 2 spells with the club. However bringing Goodwillie in which must have been his decision is unforgivable and I expect him to tender his resignation if he’s any shred of decency left.  He’s every bit as culpable as the board members for this. 

I keep seeing people on Twitter saying - if he shows remorse then he admits it and he might be liable for prosecution.

Yes he might. That's part of owning what you did if you are genuinely contrite 

It's not contrition to say - I'll hold my hands up but only if there is no consequences 

I think McCartney will be thrown under the bus for this by the board. They will say thay she was hired to do the day to day running of the club. She did not do enough due diligence in regards to this transfer and did fully understand/disclose to the board the potential ramifications of this move. Being married to Smith she has not been impartial in this which in itself was ridiculous when appointing her really. 

McGlynn and Smith will go at the end of the season unless we do by some miracle go up.  Smith might go before hand if his Mrs is emptied. 

Allan Temple wrote that Benedictus was the only person from the club to speak to the press and has probably tried to make the best of a bad situation using only football clichés. 

As a side note it would have been interesting to see which players left the club in June as a result of this. 

Spiers previous for backing McKay means he's at best a weirdo.
But, I'm genuinely incredulous at the sentence 'there is a key issue now facing the Scottish football community... How to help David Goodwillie.'
You mean the unrepentant rapist who is about to pocket a six figure payoff for doing f**k all ?
I'll set up the GoFundMe page Graham.
Jesus wept.

Why the f**k would it be the job of the Scottish Football community to help this scumbag? As far as I can see, the Scottish Football community have this week fulfilled a long overdue obligation to mete out a punishment in lieu of the courts doing it for his victim and for society.

If anything, our community only failed in taking to long to hound him out and show him the consequences of being a horrible rapist.

1 minute ago, pub car king said:

Allan Temple wrote that Benedictus was the only person from the club to speak to the press and has probably tried to make the best of a bad situation using only football clichés. 

That they allowed Benedictus to hang himself out to dry was kind of the final indignity in the whole mishandling. I don't particularly blame Benedictus for that, myself. The players were put in a difficult position.

3 minutes ago, smpar said:

Paul Paton joins Graham Spiers in today’s “f**k me that’s a bad take.”

IMG_1643895094.434128.jpg

I wondered how long it was until the mental health klaxon was sounded here. 

Perhaps, maybe just perhaps, Goodwillie's victim might feel a little bit better now. Presumably her mental health can take a nearly 3-year long bath in Paton's eyes. 

Being at the centre of the storm, there was a chance for Goodwillie to engage with the debate. To open up to young people about respect, how getting drunk impaired his judgement, resulting in his criminal convictions for assault (whilst drunk) and the civil court ruling against him for rape. He could have said how much the victim’s story really opened his eyes to the hurt he has caused. 

Instead it’s silence and somehow he is a victim?