The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

My view may or may not be prejudiced by the two utterly useless CEOs we have had in recent memory. 

He also indicated McGlynn was bad for building in increases to contracts. Robbing the future budget to pay for today, which of course is no longer John McGlynn's problem. 

When he said that it sounded like it related mainly to the long term contracts handed to the new signings in McGlynn's final season, so that would be Gullan, Ross and Stanton. 

2 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Not at all, can't thank Dean enough for what he's done for Kelty but he can only take us so far and hopefully he gets the resources together so you guys get back up the table pushing for promotion , Austin and Potter how ever,  Austin has been a sick note for last couple of seasons and not been at the races when actually playing , Potters idea of football is boring , bland pish 

I was joking mate, I just wish Kelty had the locals behind you. It was just a little late in the day to convince dyed in the wool old firm scum to get behind the Town and Club. You deserve better. 

Edited by baillieinleeds

2 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Austin will be out of contract but hardly kicked a ball this season for us so wouldn't be too fussed to lose him if being honest , rumours amongst us fans at Kelty that Potter will be your manager next season if Dean and Barrowman get on board , welcome to him as well 👍

There are sightless, anaerobic organisms living in pools at the bottom of caves in Antarctica that have not been disturbed for the better part of 20,000 years I'd rather see at Starks in any capacity than Potter, let alone manager.

1 minute ago, renton said:

There are sightless, anaerobic organisms living in pools at the bottom of caves in Antarctica that have not been disturbed for the better part of 20,000 years I'd rather see at Starks in any capacity than Potter, let alone manager.

True as f**k by the way. 

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Sim’s recent interview makes note of us recently getting the contracts wrong. I think his actual words were “one sided”. If I was guessing our high earners, I’d think it’s very likely that we are paying a fortune for Stanton, Gullan, Ethan Ross, Vaughan, Jamie MacDonald and probably Spencer. 

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

My view may or may not be prejudiced by the two utterly useless CEOs we have had in recent memory. 

He also indicated McGlynn was bad for building in increases to contracts. Robbing the future budget to pay for today, which of course is no longer John McGlynn's problem. 

Think that’s been the real issue our already limited  budget gobbled up by certain players within the playing squad Who are continually injured excluding Vaughan , John Sim has had to appoint individuals to run the footballing contract side of things in his absence which he acknowledges in his latest interview hasn’t worked out , Would this have happened during Turnbull and Mario”s stewardship I think not , However Sim now knows he has to get football minded people on board to rectify previous mistakes made by the board so hopefully going forward we get value for money , I’m not singling Gullan out but during his loan spells and in his latest 2 1/2 year deal but how many games has he missed ? For a young guy questions have to be asked regarding his fitness is it due to the Mcglynn factor and players not being looked after correctly with short term injuries or more long term injuries which adds to more medical bills 

Edited by basher brash

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

You cannot look at the way we have conceded goals this season without thinking the defence needs some attention.  Even just in the past 2 weeks, 3 goals have been pissed away from set pieces against a terrible Accies side.

Not saying they aren't individually decent players or not worth keeping, but we can't be planning to go into next season with that defence as our first choice.

Absolutely it needs looked at, but after the scramble at the start of the year, to not try to retain Nolan and Lang, who are at least middle Championship level defenders, would be shortsighted. As I’ve noted, Nolan now has the equivalent of about a year under his belt, which is very suggestive of a pretty decent player…and Lang has all the tools, if he can fix his slips (but wasn’t Bene that way for years, and quite successful for us). Two new CB’s next year would take time to bed in, just saying…that’s if we can find two decent ones and afford them. Lang might just be the only “large” contract we can afford, as he would be in demand…Nolan will be cheaper, but likely in demand too.

All this talk of new people, investors coming in to try and take the club forward and yet we still have negativity. If Potter does come in as a director of football then let's give him a chance. McKenzie had done well for Kelty and taken them to a new level. I remember some on here during the season being negative about the rumours that Stevie May was signing, a player who has played most of his career at a higher level and is still scoring goals for St Johnstone. Wait to see who comes in, give them our backing and let's hops they can take us up a level.

8 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

All this talk of new people, investors coming in to try and take the club forward and yet we still have negativity. If Potter does come in as a director of football then let's give him a chance. McKenzie had done well for Kelty and taken them to a new level. I remember some on here during the season being negative about the rumours that Stevie May was signing, a player who has played most of his career at a higher level and is still scoring goals for St Johnstone. Wait to see who comes in, give them our backing and let's hops they can take us up a level.

If we are looking to Kelty to help us get to the next level then we might as well shut down the club. 

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

A fast paced passing game for a start, not a lethargic sideways backwards passing game with the punt forward to a 5ft 8in striker who has no chance. 

I agree that we are really quite slow in passing the ball around the park, but a fast paced passing game isn't an easy thing to achieve either, especially when professional footballers at this level have pretty poor first touches in general, something that is absolutely required for a faster game to be successful. There is nothing wrong with sideways or backwards passes, especially if your goal is to keep the ball and create space by moving the opposition around the pitch, but we are too slow in achieving that. 

I also agree that the punt forward to a 5ft 8 striker is a poor choice, though the same can be said regardless of height as its just a percentages game with diminishing returns. 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Absolutely it needs looked at, but after the scramble at the start of the year, to not try to retain Nolan and Lang, who are at least middle Championship level defenders, would be shortsighted. As I’ve noted, Nolan now has the equivalent of about a year under his belt, which is very suggestive of a pretty decent player…and Lang has all the tools, if he can fix his slips (but wasn’t Bene that way for years, and quite successful for us). Two new CB’s next year would take time to bed in, just saying…that’s if we can find two decent ones and afford them. Lang might just be the only “large” contract we can afford, as he would be in demand…Nolan will be cheaper, but likely in demand too.

Our league position and lack of clean sheets would tend to suggest that "at least middle Championship level" is being a bit generous here. If we do retain both, we need at least one more CB brought in so we can change up the defence if it's leaking goals or continuing to concede an irritating amount of goals from set pieces. They aren't bad players but the defence needs improvement next season and I don't think changing the LB is going to really achieve that. 

16 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

If we are looking to Kelty to help us get to the next level then we might as well shut down the club. 

Can someone sit down and talk this nugget through topics like infrastructure, economies of scale, the benefits of hindsight and experience and the synergy achievable when a diverse group of people and resources come together?

I don't have the patience.

Just now, Brashy's Boots said:

Can someone sit down and talk this nugget through topics like infrastructure, economies of scale, the benefits of hindsight and experience and the synergy achievable when a diverse group of people and resources come together?

I don't have the patience.

Kelty are a joke outfit. I cannot see how buying your way through the Lowland league/league 2 has any bearing on the challenges we face.  We can also do without another shady character being involved with us. 

And that's before I even get started on Potter. 

Can’t believe looking through this the backing that fans are giving Murray it’s an absolute joke how you can think that he  should be in charge next season. This is one of the worst season we have had in the past few years No playoffs, No silverware I’m not saying mcglynn was better because he wasn’t at all but least we won things I know winning the challenge cup isn’t the biggest thing in the world but we still won something rather than going to a final against the worst ranked side in the Championship and getting are arse handed to us. Murray has made some god awful signings I’m not believing for a second that Goncalves was one of the best strikers we could have got for the small amount of money we had , Fredriksson got him and barely ever played him and we’ll Akio he’s not any better 3 different Strikers Murray has brought in and how many goals do we score ?
3 poor mistakes that has cost us the league and a Final how many more chances do we need to give him.

7 minutes ago, Rover1883 said:

Can’t believe looking through this the backing that fans are giving Murray it’s an absolute joke how you can think that he  should be in charge next season. This is one of the worst season we have had in the past few years No playoffs, No silverware I’m not saying mcglynn was better because he wasn’t at all but least we won things I know winning the challenge cup isn’t the biggest thing in the world but we still won something rather than going to a final against the worst ranked side in the Championship and getting are arse handed to us. Murray has made some god awful signings I’m not believing for a second that Goncalves was one of the best strikers we could have got for the small amount of money we had , Fredriksson got him and barely ever played him and we’ll Akio he’s not any better 3 different Strikers Murray has brought in and how many goals do we score ?
3 poor mistakes that has cost us the league and a Final how many more chances do we need to give him.

Er, wow......