The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Well, ladies and gentlemen, here it is. The definitive* list of all the strikers we've used since Kevin Nisbet left at the end of season 2018/19... 

• Jamie Gullan - 21 goals in 71 appearances (3.38 games per goal)
  • Lewis Vaughan - 12 goals in 30 appearances (2.5)
  • Matej Poplatnik - 11 goals in 44 appearances (4)
  • Manny Duku - 10 goals in 28 appearances (2.8)
  • Kieron Bowie - 10 goals in 35 appearances (3.5)
  • John Baird - 5 goals in 24 appearances (4.8)
  • Gozie Ugwu - 4 goals in 19 appearances (4.75)
  • Lewis Allan - 4 goals in 22 appearances (5.5)
  • Ethon Varian - 3 goals in 43 appearances (14.33)
  • Steven MacLean - 2 goals in 7 appearances (3.5)
  • Isma Goncalves - 2 goals in 8 appearances(4)
  • William Akio - 2 goals in 10 appearances (5)
  • Kyle Connell - 2 goals in 23 appearances (11.5)
  • Lars Lokotsch - 1 goal in 7 appearances (7)
  • Jack Smith - 1 goal in 8 appearances (8)
  • John Frederiksen - 1 goal in 11 appearances (11) 
  • Joao Vitoria - 1 goal in 12 appearances (12)
  • Luke Mahady - 0 goals in 2 appearances (0)
  • James Keatings - 0 goals in 7 appearances (0) 
  • Timmy Abraham - 0 goals in 8 appearances (0)
  • Kieran Mitchell - 0 goals in 18 appearances (0)

Those 21 strikers have combined to score 92 goals in our last 170 games. Pin that list on the mantel to keep the bairns away from the fire. Absolutely pitiful, abysmal stuff. It's miraculous that we've actually been reasonably successful over those four seasons! 

*not definitive at all. I've scribbled it down when I should be working, so there's every chance there's a couple of errors in there. I forgot Ethon Varian entirely on the first run through, if you can believe such a thing. I've combined starts and sub appearances in all competitions because, frankly, I can't be bothered doing otherwise. 

I've added in a games per goal figure for each (which makes the incorrect assumption that they played 90 minutes in each game). Suggests that Vaughan and Duku were the most prolific during that spell (if you can call a goal nearly every 3 games prolific).

26 minutes ago, piebob said:

I've added in a games per goal figure for each (which makes the incorrect assumption that they played 90 minutes in each game). Suggests that Vaughan and Duku were the most prolific during that spell (if you can call a goal nearly every 3 games prolific).

The thing with Duku is that all ten of his goals came in his first twelve games, including seven in his first six. Purple patch aside, he's as bad as the worst of them. 

And for Vaughan, he's really the only one there who isn't an out-and-out striker. 99% of the appearances by the others were as a proper number 9. I can only think of Bowie playing off the right (but very much as a forward) and Mitchell being asked to come onto the wing a couple of times. Not only is Vaughan putting 20 of those strikers to shame with his numbers, he's doing it predominantly one step back from the front line. 

11 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I should also say, and I appreciate that it's across two different managers, but when you've tried twenty one different strikers in broadly the same system without any success, it's maybe time to try something different. Or is it twenty second time lucky? 

Would agree with this. McGlynn had the system he wanted to play. I think he saw it as something quite agile, where a change in personnel or tactical instructions would allow it to be more defensive or more attacking. However, the number 9 position is a single point of failure.

I dont think Murray would want to play 4-2-3-1 if he could, or at least not as often as he does. Did he not even say something along those lines in an interview early in the season that he reverted to it because the players he had worked best in that system?

2 minutes ago, renton said:

I dont think Murray would want to play 4-2-3-1 if he could, or at least not as often as he does. Did he not even say something along those lines in an interview early in the season that he reverted to it because the players he had worked best in that system?

Yeah, he did, but given some of the fucking mental in-game decisions he's made, I'm terrified to find out what his ideal system is. 

1 hour ago, piebob said:

Just to clarify…a top level, prolific, striker will score once per two matches. That’s Mo Salah’s rate, 2.0 games per goal…an insane talent scores about every every 1.2 games, that’s Messi. Even discounting for less than 90 minutes played, we have a couple of decent for our level scorers there…and, yes, goals come in patches all too often.

12 minutes ago, renton said:

Would agree with this. McGlynn had the system he wanted to play. I think he saw it as something quite agile, where a change in personnel or tactical instructions would allow it to be more defensive or more attacking. However, the number 9 position is a single point of failure.

I quite liked Murray’s practicality there, given he was determined to play a 4-1-3-2 and we had a horrible start to the season with it. Went with a system that suited the players he largely inherited  

But since making that change I think we’ve started every single match with it, aside from an admittedly terrible first half hour at Dens in the Challenge Cup. Auchinleck at home or Rangers away, it doesn’t matter. Play the same way, unless we’re losing in which case play two at the back and seven attacking midfielders. 

Thanks for taking the time to pull that list together. What I take from it is that we are operating in a narrow market made smaller by the budget.

Murray has had less than JM which has then been further diminished by the fact the JM spend has been on guys unable to play due to injury.

The new blood must come with some new investment surely its not just expertise. If so IM will have capacity to get who he actually wants.

No one is convincing me that Big John, Isma, Akio etc were even close to first choice.

Look at Queens to show the financial gap, as with Shields/Henderson 1 of them is generally going to be benched yet they can pay more for their back up option.  

I think who IM let's go will tell us what we need to know. I remember him saying he wouldn't raid Airdrie. I hope the sell by dates gone on that. Get Gallagher in and show some intent. 

6 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Well, ladies and gentlemen, here it is. The definitive* list of all the strikers we've used since Kevin Nisbet left at the end of season 2018/19... 

• Jamie Gullan - 21 goals in 71 appearances
  • Lewis Vaughan - 12 goals in 30 appearances 
  • Matej Poplatnik - 11 goals in 44 appearances 
  • Manny Duku - 10 goals in 28 appearances 
  • Kieron Bowie - 10 goals in 35 appearances 
  • John Baird - 5 goals in 24 appearances 
  • Gozie Ugwu - 4 goals in 19 appearances 
  • Lewis Allan - 4 goals in 22 appearances 
  • Ethon Varian - 3 goals in 43 appearances 
  • Steven MacLean - 2 goals in 7 appearances 
  • Isma Goncalves - 2 goals in 8 appearances
  • William Akio - 2 goals in 10 appearances 
  • Kyle Connell - 2 goals in 23 appearances 
  • Lars Lokotsch - 1 goal in 7 appearances 
  • Jack Smith - 1 goal in 8 appearances 
  • John Frederiksen - 1 goal in 11 appearances 
  • Joao Vitoria - 1 goal in 12 appearances 
  • Luke Mahady - 0 goals in 2 appearances 
  • James Keatings - 0 goals in 7 appearances 
  • Timmy Abraham - 0 goals in 8 appearances 
  • Kieran Mitchell - 0 goals in 18 appearances 

Those 21 strikers have combined to score 92 goals in our last 170 games. Pin that list on the mantel to keep the bairns away from the fire. Absolutely pitiful, abysmal stuff. It's miraculous that we've actually been reasonably successful over those four seasons! 

*not definitive at all. I've scribbled it down when I should be working, so there's every chance there's a couple of errors in there. I forgot Ethon Varian entirely on the first run through, if you can believe such a thing. I've combined starts and sub appearances in all competitions because, frankly, I can't be bothered doing otherwise. 

Gary Glen would have definitely been a goal-a-game striker.

20 hours ago, Rover1883 said:

Can’t believe looking through this the backing that fans are giving Murray it’s an absolute joke how you can think that he  should be in charge next season. This is one of the worst season we have had in the past few years No playoffs, No silverware I’m not saying mcglynn was better because he wasn’t at all but least we won things I know winning the challenge cup isn’t the biggest thing in the world but we still won something rather than going to a final against the worst ranked side in the Championship and getting are arse handed to us. Murray has made some god awful signings I’m not believing for a second that Goncalves was one of the best strikers we could have got for the small amount of money we had , Fredriksson got him and barely ever played him and we’ll Akio he’s not any better 3 different Strikers Murray has brought in and how many goals do we score ?
3 poor mistakes that has cost us the league and a Final how many more chances do we need to give him.

The tears on the dotters🤣🤣

Billy Crystal Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

OK, so I took @Raith Against The Machine and @piebob's work a wee bit further (waiting for a car to get fixed). I added in a few more players and calculated goals per 90 minutes. Totals are, as RATM specified, starting 19-20 season, any minutes played for Raith:

Player                             Games/Goals/Minutes     Minutes per goal   Goals per 90 minutes

Manny Duku                       28/10/1,526                      152.6                        0.59

Isma Goncalves                8/2/331                             165.5                       0.54

Matej Poplatnik                 44/11/1,941                        176.45                      0.51

Lewis Vaughan                 47/17/3,098                      182.24                      0.49

Gozie Ugwu                        19/5/983                          196.6                        0.46

Jack Smith                          9/1/205                            205                          0.44

Kieron Bowie                      35/10/2,127                       212.7                         0.42

Willie Akio                            10/2/429                          214.5                         0.42

Jamie Gullan                    73/21/4,949                      235.67                      0.38

Lewis Allan                          22/6/1,474                       245.67                      0.37

John Frederiksen               11/1/264                            264                           0.34

Aiden Connolly                  89/25/6,935                   277.4                         0.32

Steve MacLean                  7/2/566                           283                            0.32

Joao Vitoria                        12/1/282                           282                            0.32

John Baird                          24/5/1,517                        303.4                         0.30

Lars Lokotsch                     7/1/307                             307                            0.29

Dario Zanatta                     50/10/3,292                    329.2                         0.27

Danny Armstrong              53/9/3,464                    384.9                         0.23

Dylan Easton                      42/7/3,162                       451.7                          0.20

Kyle Connell                        23/2/1,164                        582                           0.15

Sam Stanton                       60/7/5,159                      737                            0.12

Ethon Varian                       43/3/2,562                     854                            0.11

Luke Mahady                      2/0/43                             N/A                            N/A

James Keatings                 7/0/103                            N/A                            N/A                 

Timmy Abraham               8/0/211                             N/A                            N/A 

Keiran Mitchell                    18/0/454                         N/A                            N/A

It's a motly crew alright...conclusion, f**k if I know...

Edited by TxRover

Looks like a 7th place finish then. 

Which at the start of the season more than a few would have been happy with. 

Let the months of speculation begin about who's coming into the board and under what role. Which players are leaving and who we might get in their place and let's all laugh at Falkirk as they shite the bed in the play offs. 

24 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Don't think we can be going into next season with Nolan as a starting centre half, to be honest.

He’s improved all season, but if there is a better one available, I’d still like him at least as our third choice.