The New Raith Rovers Thread

8 hours ago, CALDERON said:

That's vastly overstating how well Nolan has played.  Hes come in for alot of unfair stick, because some were absolutely desperate for "experience" and he doesn't fall into that bracket.  He's been perfectly fine, especially considering his lack of previous game time,  but no more than that - letting him go would be far from a terrible mistake.  He's a decent enough Championship centre half, but hasn't looked much more than that.

I’d like you to reread that post of yours. A “decent enough Championship centre half” that you don’t think letting go would be terrible…then remember the beginning of the season. Raith Rovers is NOT a consistent Premiership side, we simply don’t have the fan base at this time. We CAN be a consistent Championship team, IF we build carefully and use our limited resources well. Poo-pooing the importance of retaining a decent enough Championship centre half is the province of either a yo-yo side like Dundee/DU or a team with a replacement signed and healthy. After a time as a consistent Championship we might have the luxury, for now we don’t.

37 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

There’s no way we have the lowest budget in the league.

Probably correct, but we’re not very far from it. I’d guess:

Certainly higher budgets: Accies, Dundee, Partick, Queen’s Park

Probably higher budgets: Ayr, ICT

Similar budget: Arbroath, Morton

Perhaps lower budget: Cove

57 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

There’s no way we have the lowest budget in the league. Also John Mcgylnn will have done more for the club and than Murray ever will and deserves more respect than a foolish comment like that. A budget is set by the board, not a manager. If the previous administration was given funds to spend then what’s he supposed to do? Say no can you just save it for next season to give my successor?

Second lowest then, the board got it decidedly wrong last season and signed a fuckin rapist to add to the woes. The b*****ds in charge should feel the pain as we do. 

17 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Absolutely no way Accies have a higher budget than us. Not a chance. 

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Absolutely no way Accies have a higher budget than us. Not a chance. 

More players overall, no modern apprentices, twice as many international players, I’d say they’re paying more.

23 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Ayr could afford Musonda, which you could argue we couldn’t, and our centre backs had to be a 19 year old loanee and a free agent who has had significant injury problems. ICT have a much more experienced squad. As for Morton and Arbroath, just look at who they were able to bring in during January and that answers the question for their budget comparison.

We are in the bottom two at least for sure.

Edited by Raithfan2711

23 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Yawn what?? He’s absolutely correct. 

Yeah, you can talk all you like about what McGlynn did for the club but his ultimate legacy is the club’s name being dragged though the mud, our main sponsor and many volunteers departing and the current financial mess we find ourselves in. Some things are more important than a couple of promotions.

McGlynn was trusted with as big a budget as we’ll have had in many a year last season and he blew the lot on a 5th place finish.

Edited by Enigma

It's rare you end up with a manager setting fire to his legacy the way McGlynn did. You can't argue with his achievements at the club during his spells, but he squandered the big opportunity given to him and, after the way it all ended, my opinion of him is somewhere that I never thought it would end up. I still can't get my head around how that all ended up happening, but it did. f**k him. 

32 minutes ago, TxRover said:

More players overall, no modern apprentices, twice as many international players, I’d say they’re paying more.

Half their squad are about 13 years old, I’d say they’d be a fair bet for being the full time team with the lowest budget in Scotland. 

44 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

I think Dalziel thought I was point scoring, it wasn't meant in that way. More in that the Goodwillie fiasco cost an absolute shed load of cash. 

Maybe even a boatload. 

43 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Don’t think any of that counts for much. It’s well known that the investment there was stripped right back and half their squad are teenagers. 

46 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Yawn that it’s been done to death. Those in charge made a mistake, owned their mistake and have paid a hefty price. At what point do we stop going on about it and move on?

2 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Half their squad are about 13 years old, I’d say they’d be a fair bet for being the full time team with the lowest budget in Scotland. 

4 teenagers, 13 20-24, 7 25-30, plus 2 30+…hardly that young. I seriously doubt they’re even that close to lowest full time team.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Don’t think any of that counts for much. It’s well known that the investment there was stripped right back and half their squad are teenagers. 

Stripped back from Premiership levels…I’ll bet that at a minimum Fulton, Hamilton, Tumilty, Lawson, Martin and Smith are all in the upper levels of compensation in the Championship.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

Stripped back from Premiership levels…I’ll bet that at a minimum Fulton, Hamilton, Tumilty, Lawson, Martin and Smith are all in the upper levels of compensation in the Championship.

I doubt it. Even in the top flight they were most likely paying low wages. 

You could easily argue that MacDonald, Gullan, Spencer, Ross and Stanton will be on fairly decent wages. 

13 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I doubt it. Even in the top flight they were most likely paying low wages. 

You could easily argue that MacDonald, Gullan, Spencer, Ross and Stanton will be on fairly decent wages. 

Absolutely MacDonald is likely our top salary…Gullan and Ross, not so much, more reclamation projects, Spencer will be pretty decent and Stanton would be an unknown, but probably decent.

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I think Dalziel thought I was point scoring, it wasn't meant in that way. More in that the Goodwillie fiasco cost an absolute shed load of cash. 

Maybe even a boatload. 

You were just being honest, I appreciate that