The New Raith Rovers Thread

John Sim was bursting to say more on that interview. 

If what I’m hearing about the local group investing in the club, a mix of local successful businessmen and football men, then there’s exciting times on the way for The Rovers. Wish it was my club.

Edited by sinkorswim

Quite a positive interview tbh about as upbeat as John Sim gets I imagine 😂 hopefully things fall into place as he hopes. In terms of signing younger players there is different levels of young eg 19 yr old Kieran Mitchell or someone on the fringes of Motherwell/st mirren first team who want to stay ft and have played some games on loan or in there first team. Hopefully not a Gary Locke scenario of what he signed and more like big Connor.

50 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Who was the young lad that liked the cuisine at Valente's?

If you're thinking of the same guy I am, it's Willis Furtado. Last spotted firing a team to the Norwegian top flight and representing Cape Verde at the African Cup of Nations. Must have been the Valente's that powered him on to greater things.

Re. J Sim's interview, he highlights contracts and getting ripped off, this is either down to him or lack of governance over the previous manager.

The CEO requirement, this, again is down to J Sim due to a poor previous appointment.

Access to 200 Club, a bit of a stretch given the approach from outside the South Stand, this needs improvement to comply with full disabled access requirements.

There still remains a few jobs round the stadium to be resolved which all remain in the gift of Mr Sim.

I can't see why anyone would invest in the club when there is a mountain of jobs to be resolved.

4 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:

He never said that, that’s my assumption as he did say that the new folk don’t have a lot of money so by that logic we would still have a smaller budget NAH? 

Well, he didn’t say they were contributing nothing financially, just that the money wasn’t the main thing. Bear in mind, this money doesn’t sit in the Rovers accounts right now, so that straight away means we have more than what we would have without them. We don’t know how much the total investment would boost our playing budget against other teams, and you also have to consider their own financial position (if other clubs are getting even that level of financial investment in the next few months). Then he also went on to say he sees their expertise as a way of generating more income than we currently do. 

Is the investment the golden goose that some wanted? No. Someone who loves the Rovers or has an affinity for us above other clubs, is willing to risk crazy money on a business even the owner sees needs lots of work, all to maybe get us in the top flight with no structure in place for maintaining it, just doesn’t exist. What was discussed in the interview sounds way better than what we had going in to this season, and was always a more realistic option.

Ultimately its been reported in the media as though the club were waiting on some grand consortium sweeping in, and that doesn't look to be the case.  It will no doubt end up with social media and Facebook full of "we're gonna get relegated cos there is no money" posts as it was on 9.31pm on Tuesday.

The thing that concerns me about the sweeping statement around younger players is that they are hard to find.  For every Regan Hendry or Ryan Hardie we've had, there have been countless bang average to poor young players who were all classed as "promising" 

Considering how many players are still under contract for next season, I’m struggling to see how the squad can suddenly be crammed full of youngsters  

Presumably a few younger players will fill the gaps in the squad next term, but that just sounds very similar to this one. 

Edited by McGuigan1978

Could he be down playing any investment, that contract talks are about to start with existing players. He did touch on previous contracts not being in the clubs best interest.

Could he be doing the same with down playing next seasons recruitment, again to get best contract deals for the club.

Smart, Penman, Mckenzie, McGregor, Kilgour, Barrowman the group Iv heard. 

1 hour ago, sinkorswim said:

Could he be down playing any investment, that contract talks are about to start with existing players. He did touch on previous contracts not being in the clubs best interest.

Could he be doing the same with down playing next seasons recruitment, again to get best contract deals for the club.

Sim did say on more than one occasion younger men that would rule out Penman.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Including a grandson of someone he knew, who he assumed was a son.

I would be surprised if penman wasn’t involved in some capacity, he has always had a great deal of affection for the club and if it was his grandson getting on board that would make sense to be his eyes/ears

Revisited the interview to see if I was being over optimistic. Still happy with what I hear, completely understand the "heard it before" angle but if true that list of names is encouraging.

Sound business experience and Rovers connections. For me as good as we can hope for at this time. I like the new blood, new ideas, younger views angle to. 

Being honest our marketing is behind the curve. Tried to book hospitality for my work and it was way more work than I could be ersed with. 

I've not been slow at having a go at Sim particularly through last year. So fair play, he's clearly reaching out to the business community and fans. 

Something I do say quite a bit is that that we have a club TV that gives us more than any other club that I can see. 

Happy to be corrected but it's an area where we've been spoiled. Dating back to the old fanzine days Rovers fans have always had an eye for fan based communication.

Sim using RTV this week is light years away from his Courier outbursts. All keeps me hoping for the best.  

The backdrop of Murray showing his frustrations Tuesday about same mistakes is interesting. I wonder how involved he is, does this go on without his input or is he thinking he can now afford change for next season. 

11 hours ago, sinkorswim said:

If it’s the Kilgour I think it is Starks Park will be flowing with butchers aprons. That will save me a few bob on a season ticket.

35 minutes ago, kirkcaldybanjo111 said:

If it’s the Kilgour I think it is Starks Park will be flowing with butchers aprons. That will save me a few bob on a season ticket.

The only Kilgour’s I know of are dyed in the wool Rovers fans from Kirkcaldy.