The New Raith Rovers Thread

To provide some mitigation for John McGlynn, it's not like James Keatings left us and went to a rival who let him train once a week, which then meant he scored 35 goals. 

He went to Montrose, where presumably his training load was much reduced, and he barely kicked a ball. Then went to Forfar and did the same, and is now at Tranent. 

Edit: To be clear, some mitigation for McGlynn's attitude to Keatings' training, not for his signing policy. That remains an unmitigated disaster. 

Edited by Raith Against The Machine

1 minute ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

To provide some mitigation for John McGlynn, it's not like James Keatings left us and went to a rival who let him train once a week, which then meant he scored 35 goals. 

Keatings can't have been far off 35 career goals against us.

At least signing him put a stop to that.

10 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Keatings can't have been far off 35 career goals against us.

At least signing him put a stop to that.

Keatings goals v's Raith Rovers.

13/14  4

14/15  3

15/16  1

16/17  2

17/18  1

18/19  0

19/20  0

20/21  2

The problem we have this season is we fart around from back to midfield then nothing goes upfront, Halland would struggle to get a shot away,the strikers hardly get a sniff at goal. Or do I just have the mediocre middle of the table blues…….

5 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

It also seems to be that we've got a problem around accurate diagnoses. Both Jamie Gullan and Ethan Ross have had the same injury this season and both have ultimately required surgery to sort it, but both also had periods of this season where they clearly weren't fully fit but were playing anyway. I think Ross Matthews was similar, there's been various theories about his current issue going back at least 18 months. Is that a club thing, choosing to hope that it's a more optimistic outlook and then paying the price for not facing up to reality, or is that a medical issue? Is it the case that whoever the club rely on to make these assessments isn't doing the job well enough? 

Sim addressed that with a joke about legal action against the doctors, wait we don’t do it that way here. He was very clearly blaming misdiagnosis for a number of our problems.

3 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

More groundbreaking, insightful journalism from the offices of the Fife Free Press. 

I’d feel better if they’d get a new stock photo so Sim that doesn’t make him look like your dirty old uncle, that’s been done for flashing, photoshopped over the Main Stand.

Just now, TxRover said:

Sim addressed that with a joke about legal action against the doctors, wait we don’t do it that way here. He was very clearly blaming misdiagnosis for a number of our problems.

I'd actually forgotten all about that. You're absolutely right, Sim pointed directly to it. I wonder if that's what Murray was referring to, too. 

Now that the season has basically ended for us it would be interesting to see out of this current team who you would keep or release. Forget if they are under contract or not.

I'd keep

McDonald, Thomson and McNeil

Millen, Lang possibly Nolan as 3rd choice CH

Matthews, Brown, Connolly, Easton, Vaughan, Stanton, Mitchell, Young.

Spencer and Gullan are 50/50 as I  rate both but neither have found real form this season and both spend considerable time on thr treatment table.

Release the rest and all loan players to return to their parents clubs.

I've been fairly brutal as I don't see 7th in the league some some very bang average performances as any kind of success.

5 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Piss poor from the FFP which is pretty much standard from them. RTV volunteers interview Sim the FFP editor types it out and gets advertising, click bait and sales from the work of others. 

How it works now I guess but the guys stealing a living. 

24 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Now that the season has basically ended for us it would be interesting to see out of this current team who you would keep or release. Forget if they are under contract or not.

I'd keep

McDonald, Thomson and McNeil

Millen, Lang possibly Nolan as 3rd choice CH

Matthews, Brown, Connolly, Easton, Vaughan, Stanton, Mitchell, Young.

Spencer and Gullan are 50/50 as I  rate both but neither have found real form this season and both spend considerable time on thr treatment table.

Release the rest and all loan players to return to their parents clubs.

I've been fairly brutal as I don't see 7th in the league some some very bang average performances as any kind of success.

Again to add my tuppence-worth, you'll hopefully find Murray is not afraid to wield the axe. Proved it already with Fredriksen - which was clearly a gamble - but he's not stupid and knows who will cut it and who won't. Fair enough in his first season he's bedding himself in and was scrambling around a bit to sign you players for numbers if anything - but once he's established proper targets it's for the good of the team and system.

We went through a spell of a bit of dross/panic signings/Stuart Millar's random as f**k agent links untill Murray finally got full control and in came your Turners, McIlroys and Eastons and his actual vision started to play itself out on the pitch. I believe he went hell for leather to sign Brown for us too - so he knows a player. 

28 minutes ago, Right in the Stanchion said:

Again to add my tuppence-worth, you'll hopefully find Murray is not afraid to wield the axe. Proved it already with Fredriksen - which was clearly a gamble - but he's not stupid and knows who will cut it and who won't. Fair enough in his first season he's bedding himself in and was scrambling around a bit to sign you players for numbers if anything - but once he's established proper targets it's for the good of the team and system.

We went through a spell of a bit of dross/panic signings/Stuart Millar's random as f**k agent links untill Murray finally got full control and in came your Turners, McIlroys and Eastons and his actual vision started to play itself out on the pitch. I believe he went hell for leather to sign Brown for us too - so he knows a player. 

Murray also punted Zanatta mid-season, which does speak volumes for his judgement. 

3 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Murray also punted Zanatta mid-season, which does speak volumes for his judgement. 

One of the first things he did at Airdrie, much to the dismay of most of our support for some reason, was punt Joao Victoria. Fair play to him, the man is not keen on not very good wide players who can only cut inside and have one good patch of form every few years. 

Has he tried a back three at Raith yet? I realise that having a squad half made up of attacking midfielders doesn't exactly lend itself to that but Murray absolutely loved turning to a back three at random times and did so for prolonged spells in every season at Airdrie, with mixed success. The highlight was when he spent all summer in his last season clearly building a team to play 3-5-2, playing it throughout the League Cup and then completely abandoning it one game into the season after being pumped 3-0 at home by Montrose. I suppose that might have been enough to put him off the idea. 

12 minutes ago, Mr November said:

One of the first things he did at Airdrie, much to the dismay of most of our support for some reason, was punt Joao Victoria. Fair play to him, the man is not keen on not very good wide players who can only cut inside and have one good patch of form every few years. 

Has he tried a back three at Raith yet? I realise that having a squad half made up of attacking midfielders doesn't exactly lend itself to that but Murray absolutely loved turning to a back three at random times and did so for prolonged spells in every season at Airdrie, with mixed success. The highlight was when he spent all summer in his last season clearly building a team to play 3-5-2, playing it throughout the League Cup and then completely abandoning it one game into the season after being pumped 3-0 at home by Montrose. I suppose that might have been enough to put him off the idea. 

Only incredibly briefly in an injury hit (shock) trip to Dens Park, and he abandoned it after about 25 minutes. 

I'm not sure we've had three senior centre halfs available for more than about two and a half weeks of the season though, so he hasn't really had the chance. 

1 hour ago, Always next quarter said:

Piss poor from the FFP which is pretty much standard from them. RTV volunteers interview Sim the FFP editor types it out and gets advertising, click bait and sales from the work of others. 

How it works now I guess but the guys stealing a living. 

The thing is, it's not even a particularly accurate account of what he said. 

Absolutely pathetic 'journalism'. 

Anyone get along to the AGM tonight? I was having a think about it earlier and when was the last opportunity to buy shares in the club (unless you're filling out a prospect pack to buy the place outright)? If it was 2004, then there's a whole raft of the support who don't have access to anything like that. I started going regularly as a teen and it wouldn't have been remotely of interest back at that point.

Edited by Broken Algorithms