The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

If we hadn't beaten Ayr to the league that final season down there I'm fairly certain McGlynn would've been sacked. 

The nadir was his first full season. He just seemed to get all his signings so wrong. Craig fucking Winter. Ryan Borris. Keiron Renton. Andy Tod not being a le to run more than a couple of feet in any direction.

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

You'd like to think so. Surely Murray would never have had more than a couple of Airdrie players on his wish list anyway. Smith seems the most likely one and he might still come anyway if we can offer better terms considering he lives in Fife. Who else would we be after? The only obvious one is Gallagher, who is 29, part time and with a good job outside of football. We'd probably need to offer silly money to tempt him. 

Yeah Smith and Gallagher seem the obvious ones. Would be very surprised if there isn’t an offer on the table from us for Gallagher but like you say probably won’t be enough money to tempt him to go full time. Frizzell has been excellent for them too but we have a lot of players very similar to him.

4 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

If we hadn't beaten Ayr to the league that final season down there I'm fairly certain McGlynn would've been sacked. 

Yep, I remember most people thinking his time was up after Ayr won 1-0 at Starks with 9 games to go, he owes a lot of his 15 years in management after that to Marvin Andrews!

6 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Frizzell, McGill and deveney all seem to do well for them but I’m not seen a lot of airdrie tbh 

Like you, I've not seen a lot of Airdrie this season - but was always impressed with Airdrie's current keeper Josh Rae when he was at Queen of the South, and it seems we might be in the market for a goalie. Mind you, he did go and get himself sent off tonight!

8 minutes ago, Kuma Power said:

Like you, I've not seen a lot of Airdrie this season - but was always impressed with Airdrie's current keeper Josh Rae when he was at Queen of the South, and it seems we might be in the market for a goalie. Mind you, he did go and get himself sent off tonight!

Can’t be perfect and hopefully we hear this week who is staying or definitely leaving 

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

Yep, I remember most people thinking his time was up after Ayr won 1-0 at Starks with 9 games to go, he owes a lot of his 15 years in management after that to Marvin Andrews!

Honestly don’t remember that at all. Most people I know thought Ayr were celebrating far too prematurely as the league was still quite tight. No one I knew thought he deserved to be sacked at that moment - which was spot on given how things worked out. Appreciate that there’s an appetite for revisionism amongst our support after McGlynn left us to go to Falkirk and folk want to brand him a dud, but he’s been easily one of our better managers in the last 30 years. 

5 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Honestly don’t remember that at all. Most people I know thought Ayr were celebrating far too prematurely as the league was still quite tight. No one I knew thought he deserved to be sacked at that moment - which was spot on given how things worked out. Appreciate that there’s an appetite for revisionism amongst our support after McGlynn left us to go to Falkirk and folk want to brand him a dud, but he’s been easily one of our better managers in the last 30 years. 

I’d say the negativity towards McGlynn is more to do with his signing of a certain striker than joining Falkirk, plenty weren’t bothered when he left which is a shame  as you point out he did well for us in general but sadly he left a permanent stain on his legacy with a moment of stupidity.  

5 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

I’d say the negativity towards McGlynn is more to do with his signing of a certain striker than joining Falkirk, plenty weren’t bothered when he left which is a shame  as you point out he did well for us in general but sadly he left a permanent stain on his legacy with a moment of stupidity.  

I dunno, while I still view McGlynn's overall contribution to the club as positive and there is no doubt the Goodwillie fiasco did lose him a lot of goodwill, overall I'd say last season's form from January certainly is a factor for me in terms of not being bothered when he left.

He could and should have been sacked for that form long before the CC final. Particularly as he had been handed a larger budget that year. I'm old enough to see true legends like Jimmy Nicholl get hounded out the club so probably lack the sentimentality of some younger fans who only really have McGlynn to look at as a benchmark for progression at the club. See also McCall at Thistle this season and the impact it had on them.

In hindsight, and probably at the time as well, McGlynnball only worked with Regan Hendry (the best midfielder weve had at the club since 2003 at least) pulling it together. Every other attempt at playing that way at Rovers or Falkirk have led to lots of sideways passing, no penetration and overly exposed centre backs.

Falkirk might well have fared better with McGlynn mk.1, the Levein inspired, percentages based pragmatist. 

Personally,  I think its fair to think that Mcglynn is one of the best managers to manage the club in recent times, and did a hell of a lot of good.

It's also fair to recognise he had a disaster last season, that we are probably better off without him, and that what's happening at Falkirk is fucking hilarious.

Edited by CALDERON

6 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

I was at hospitality that day and I remember clearly there were a lot of shouts for him to ‘f**k off’ as he went down the tunnel. Chat around the tables after the game was similar, admittedly a small sample size but that’s all I can go on as I didn’t pay much attention to any online forums at that point. May have been the frustration of losing a late goal in an important game but there certainly wasn’t universal support for him at that time, especially given he was on his 3rd attempt at getting out the league. Although granted the first year was always unrealistic and he oversaw an incredible turnaround.

Not revisionism or trying to brand him a dud, just what I seen at the time. Just like it would also be accurate to say a large chunk of fans wanted rid of him after we got pumped at East Fife the year we won the league in his second spell, albeit I was not one of them. He did a good job in both his spells for us and left us in a better league position than he inherited both times which is usually a good gauge.

You are correct he’s been our best manager of the last 30 years (not that there’s been much competition when you look at it!). If you asked me 18 months ago I’d have said he was a legend without doubt.

However, aside from going over old ground on the obvious, if what Sim said in his interview on Friday is even remotely true (and I never really trust him 100%) but he claims McGlynn was given a 50% increase on his budget from the start of the previous season to have a real go at the league. With that increase he took us to 5th place and had the worst form in the league in the second half of the season whilst failing to beat the worst side Dunfermline have had in the Championship in living memory.

Then after blowing that large budget and failing completely, instead of sticking around to try and fix his mess knowing he would get a reduced budget, he jumped ship at the very first opportunity he had to a basket case the league below us leaving someone else to pick up the pieces ahead of what looked like a very competitive Championship on reduced resources, not very legend-y.

I am grateful for what he produced in the main across his two spells, a lot of my best memories as a Rovers fans are watching John McGlynn teams and I’m not sure anyone could argue he wasn’t good for us. However, his last 6 months were an unmitigated disaster and that, added to the way he left, means I also take a fair amount of enjoyment in the way things have turned out for all parties at Falkirk.

7 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

One thing we didn't quite realise was the spending. Obviously we paid a fee for Ethan Ross in addition to *that* signing, but we had two ties at Parkhead and the sale of a player for £110k to compensate for that. Then we find out the shenanigans with big increases being given out and our budget being crippled as a result of it. That's not just McGlynn at fault, admittedly, but he's a big part in it. 

Our form last year was absolutely disgusting in the second half of the season and, quite frankly, any other manager would have been given his jotters long before the season was out. A complete and utter implosion, having been title challengers before Christmas. 

I wished him the very worst at Falkirk and last night was simply glorious. I am also very bitter that he got them to a Scottish Cup SF having been given the easiest run in the history of the tournament, so f**k him. 

42 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I was at hospitality that day and I remember clearly there were a lot of shouts for him to ‘f**k off’ as he went down the tunnel. Chat around the tables after the game was similar, admittedly a small sample size but that’s all I can go on as I didn’t pay much attention to any online forums at that point. May have been the frustration of losing a late goal in an important game but there certainly wasn’t universal support for him at that time, especially given he was on his 3rd attempt at getting out the league. Although granted the first year was always unrealistic and he oversaw an incredible turnaround.

Not revisionism or trying to brand him a dud, just what I seen at the time. Just like it would also be accurate to say a large chunk of fans wanted rid of him after we got pumped at East Fife the year we won the league in his second spell, albeit I was not one of them. He did a good job in both his spells for us and left us in a better league position than he inherited both times which is usually a good gauge.

You are correct he’s been our best manager of the last 30 years (not that there’s been much competition when you look at it!). If you asked me 18 months ago I’d have said he was a legend without doubt.

However, aside from going over old ground on the obvious, if what Sim said in his interview on Friday is even remotely true (and I never really trust him 100%) but he claims McGlynn was given a 50% increase on his budget from the start of the previous season to have a real go at the league. With that increase he took us to 5th place and had the worst form in the league in the second half of the season whilst failing to beat the worst side Dunfermline have had in the Championship in living memory.

Then after blowing that large budget and failing completely, instead of sticking around to try and fix his mess knowing he would get a reduced budget, he jumped ship at the very first opportunity he had to a basket case the league below us leaving someone else to pick up the pieces ahead of what looked like a very competitive Championship on reduced resources, not very legend-y.

I am grateful for what he produced in the main across his two spells, a lot of my best memories as a Rovers fans are watching John McGlynn teams and I’m not sure anyone could argue he wasn’t good for us. However, his last 6 months were an unmitigated disaster and that, added to the way he left, means I also take a fair amount of enjoyment in the way things have turned out for all parties at Falkirk.

Totally agree with  your post, I was a big Mcglynn fan, totally loved singing that song and I think overall should be remembered more  for the good he did our club over 2 spells than the ultimate disaster of the last 6 months but I did have a good chuckle at the score last night, he looked a broken man in the interview afterwards and I wouldn’t be surprised if he resigns when they go out. I remember an interview he did with Raith tv where he said you just fit in at places and I fit in here, he did and his best spells as a manager has been with us.

Fair enough. If it was hospitality then probably more to do with drink and the frustration at losing such an important game. Don’t think it would have been widely felt around the rest of the ground at the time. And those same folk grumbling would no doubt be singing his praises 8 games later when we won the league at Hampden. 
Regardless of what folk now think of him, what he did for us in both of his spells is undeniable. Got us out of League One both times and had one season in each spell where we’ve come as close to the Premiership as anyone has except maybe the Ray McKinnon season. 

Not defending him for leaving us or his part in the DG fiasco which definitely soiled the legacy, but none of that removes his actual achievements. Having said all that, the Falkirk situation is hilarious. 

16 hours ago, Kuma Power said:

Solar panels and electrifying the heating in the main stand is a brilliant idea if we're planning to do it and can make it work with the age and layout of the main stand. The investment should pay for itself quickly and make good financial sense in the long term. Showing we can generate most of our electricity ourselves from renewable sources will be great publicity for the club as well.

The fact that the south stand roof faces due south would make it perfect for solar arrays. As long as the weight wasn't an issue, panels could be mounted in banks on a tilt at an angle of about 45' degrees.

Given the large surface area available Rovers could not only be completely self sufficient but become a net producer to the grid.