The New Raith Rovers Thread

Personally regarding Barjonas I think it’s potentially a signing we don’t need. We have 2/3 boys who can play in that number 10 playmaker sort of role in Easton and Vaughan. 

Would much rather we focussed on other key positions we are in desperate need of ie strikers, centre halfs .

36 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Has anyone actually seen Dabrowski play? He's not exactly racked up the game time in his career so far so I'm a bit curious as to why folk see him as the preferred option.

I can’t speak for anyone else that has mentioned him but for me, he seemed to do well when he came into the Hibs team last season. Man of the match on his debut against Hearts if I remember right. He is also very highly thought of at QOS and Dumbarton, being a stand out in his two spells in League One whilst still being a good age to develop and improve.

I am sure I remember posts from @Jan Vojáček rating him highly and describing some of his main strengths as his presence and communication which, given our vulnerability at set pieces last season certainly wouldn’t do any harm.

17 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

To kinda add to that Murray playing down the barjonas link in the ffp saying more homework needs done to see if he is what we need. 

We'd only need Barjonas if Spencer or Connolly don't resign, and we couldn't get anyone else 

1 minute ago, R.R.FC said:

I can’t speak for anyone else that has mentioned him but for me, he seemed to do well when he came into the Hibs team last season. Man of the match on his debut against Hearts if I remember right. He is also very highly thought of at QOS and Dumbarton, being a stand out in his two spells in League One whilst still being a good age to develop and improve.

I am sure I remember posts from @Jan Vojáček rating him highly and describing some of his main strengths as his presence and communication which, given our vulnerability at set pieces last season certainly wouldn’t do any harm.

He's absolutely fantastic and would be a great fit for you guys. I'm actually really surprised (and disappointed) to see him not given more of a chance at Easter Road.

I put this on the QOS thread after they signed him and, by all accounts, I think he did pretty well at Palmerston and became a bit of a fans' favourite.

There will not be a better goalkeeper in League One than Kevin Dabrowski. In fact, I'm absolutely staggered he's not at the very least a No.1 for a Championship side. I thought he would go back to Hibs after his spell with us and be their number one by now. Especially after his derby heroics last year.

You know how some players just have a bit of an aura and a presence about them? A bit of magic almost just in the way they conduct themselves? Like a swagger that makes you believe in them before you've really seen them in action. That's Kevin.

He came into us during the Covid season and was nothing short of sensational. He commands his area superbly, he pulls of genuinely jaw dropping saves, his handling is fairly solid and although he's prone to parrying shots - he does it with so much power that he pushes them away from goal and out for throw-ins.

He's a huge character. A bit of a maverick. He'll pull off saves that'll blow your mind, then make a really tame shot look like it was the toughest in the world by throwing himself on it in a mega dramatic way. He's exceptionally loud on the park as well and will happily be a bit of shithouse, winding other players up (hiya Brian Graham, hiya pal).

I absolutely loved watching him play for us. And loved it even more when I met him a couple of times. He's the most gentle, well mannered, polite and lovely big guy you could ever meet. And he just has a huge passion for football and goalkeeping which rubs off on you instantly. You'll probably all have seen his interview after the Edinburgh derby last year, and that is exactly what he's like. A really genuine, and incredibly talented, guy.

After he left us, I spoke to Sons goalkeeper coach at the time about him - and he likened him to Fraser Forster. You can read that - here. He's reminded me of Nick Pope since I first watched him in action for us though. But either way, those are good comparisons to have.

22 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

To kinda add to that Murray playing down the barjonas link in the ffp saying more homework needs done to see if he is what we 

Unless two of Connolly, Vaughan, Ross and Easton leave, it would be a very unnecessary signing. We could probably also add Gullan into that category of players that are all very similar. 

Only one of those players is out of contract as well and a deal has been offered. Not a given he will accept it, right enough. 

Edited by Michael W

6 minutes ago, RaithRyan said:

Personally regarding Barjonas I think it’s potentially a signing we don’t need. We have 2/3 boys who can play in that number 10 playmaker sort of role in Easton and Vaughan

Also got Stanton and Ethan Ross who can all play in the No10 role as well if anything we might need a DM if Spencer goes 

5 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Presence and communication = big hoor who can shout?

15 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

He's absolutely fantastic and would be a great fit for you guys. I'm actually really surprised (and disappointed) to see him not given more of a chance at Easter Road.

I put this on the QOS thread after they signed him and, by all accounts, I think he did pretty well at Palmerston and became a bit of a fans' favourite.

See, this is exactly why I suggested him. He's out of contract and reading through the Queen's thread all the suggestions are he's helped stabilise them.

Certainly more chance of him signing than the suggestion of Fulton. 

Edited by Broken Algorithms

40 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

He replaced Max Currie which got him off to a good start with the fans for one thing. Sure I read he's back in Poland, not sure if just on a break or looking for something over there. 

42 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Also got Stanton and Ethan Ross who can all play in the No10 role as well if anything we might need a DM if Spencer goes 

Even if Spencer stays, we need a third player who can play DM without adverse impact to the team. Stanton at DM seemingly crippled our play in the offensive end. He is much better playing forward rather than playing deep from the back.

4 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

He replaced Max Currie which got him off to a good start with the fans for one thing. Sure I read he's back in Poland, not sure if just on a break or looking for something over there. 

Poland…where did I hear Poland…oh, yea, Sim just mentioned the Polish community in Kirkcaldy needed some outreach…

IMG_0450.png.5ec37fb5e46065c37d637dcfa362dbab.png

4 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Even if Spencer stays, we need a third player who can play DM without adverse impact to the team. Stanton at DM seemingly crippled our play in the offensive end. He is much better playing forward rather than playing deep from the back.

Arnott 👍

54 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

For those without the FFP

ETA - within that article there's a link to another article about Connolly and MacDonald.

Iain Murray back into his super relaxed, near horizontal close season mood again.