The New Raith Rovers Thread

16 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Two questions for Raith fans:

1. Where do you think you will end up in the league?
2. When is the last time you played in the top division?

As said by most others, top four was the aim at the start of the season and I still think that's the case.

It's a pity your mob look so strong as I'd have fancied the current Rovers against last year's Dundee team and the previous season's Kilmarnock team.

Thanks for all the replies.  I’ve said before that I’ve had a soft spot for Raith since your former chairman, Turnbull Hutton, spoke his mind during the Sevco debacle whilst most of his counterparts were as visible as Peter Brady.

I recall going through to Stark’s Park with my younger son one Saturday when we didn’t have a game as a gesture of support to the man at the time, bumping into him outside the park and having a brief conversation with him about the situation 

Ideally I’d like to see Arbroath going up with us (simply because it would cause so many heads to explode) but failing that I hope you guys get promoted.

I also wish you would drop some points in the short term so we can breath easier.  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Thank feck Dabrowski is here till 2025, and well beyond I hope, he's proving to be a great signing

His positioning for making saves really is excellent. I just wish he could be a bit more commanding coming for crosses.

2 hours ago, mrpaddyx said:

His positioning for making saves really is excellent. I just wish he could be a bit more commanding coming for crosses.

I think he might improve on this aspect of his game to an extent. That said some keepers just don't and the defenders in front of them adapt to this. 

I really hope that this in the worst our injuries will be throughout the season.

Everyone back training with Gullan Hamilton in the squad for next week(barring any setbacks this week) and Matthews not far away-maybe see him on the bench next week.

If we get over these injuries without any other major injuries woes I hope we can kick on up to Christmas.

15 hours ago, SerieA said:

I really hope that this in the worst our injuries will be throughout the season.

Everyone back training with Gullan Hamilton in the squad for next week(barring any setbacks this week) and Matthews not far away-maybe see him on the bench next week.

If we get over these injuries without any other major injuries woes I hope we can kick on up to Christmas.

The last few weeks has been a struggle, the team looked absolutely shattered yesterday. Airdrie tore us apart for the first hour. We need our injuries to start clearing up and fast. 

16 hours ago, pub car king said:

I think he might improve on this aspect of his game to an extent. That said some keepers just don't and the defenders in front of them adapt to this. 

Thought he could’ve done better with the goal when watching live yesterday but on looking at the replay the defenders have got to do better-either win the header or clear that crowd round about him out.

His shot stopping is top class and everything is pushed well wide away from danger if it’s not caught.

Can’t recall us scoring many goals from set pieces ourselves this season so far??

Edited by SerieA

It doesn't look like we will get many back for next week. Gullan and Hamilton  Watson another couple of weeks away which is not good news considering we all were informed he would be out for a couple of weeks. Matthews may make the bench and no mention of Corr.

Next week I would go with Masson along side Murray and get Brown back in midfield as we are getting overrun in the middle of the park. 

I would also start Easton instead of Mullin. 

Look at the players we've got on the park and it's no surprise that set pieces aren't our strong suit. It was particularly apparent on Tuesday night. 

Morton had Jack Baird, Kirk Broadfoot, Tyler French as a back three, Iain Wilson in midfield, and George Oakley and Robbie Muirhead up front. All six of those are 6 foot plus, big units who'll win headers all day if you let them.

We've got Euan Murray. If you want to stretch it, Liam Dick and Scott Brown are fine in the air, but to borrow a phrase from Euan Murray himself, they're not meatheads. Even if Keith Watson is still out, just having Jack Hamilton on the park to dig in at set pieces would be a huge help. 

It's just a reality of the squad we've got. You can't be all things at all times, and we're understandably vulnerable at set pieces at the time being. 

2 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Look at the players we've got on the park and it's no surprise that set pieces aren't our strong suit. It was particularly apparent on Tuesday night. 

Morton had Jack Baird, Kirk Broadfoot, Tyler French as a back three, Iain Wilson in midfield, and George Oakley and Robbie Muirhead up front. All six of those are 6 foot plus, big units who'll win headers all day if you let them.

We've got Euan Murray. If you want to stretch it, Liam Dick and Scott Brown are fine in the air, but to borrow a phrase from Euan Murray himself, they're not meatheads. Even if Keith Watson is still out, just having Jack Hamilton on the park to dig in at set pieces would be a huge help. 

It's just a reality of the squad we've got. You can't be all things at all times, and we're understandably vulnerable at set pieces at the time being. 

Hamilton has been a game changing defensive addition on corners, etc. It was the first thing I noticed with him on the pitch. Is it coincidence he's absent and we allow a fourth set piece goal, all from corners? I think not.

Anyway, I hope Kev doesn't improve too quickly, or someone will swoop in to take him!

Edit: Just watched/listened to the Podcast and they made that Hamilton point much better.

Edited by TxRover

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Agree with this and have said as much while at the last couple of home matches. I don't think our problems at the moment are anything like some of the disorganisation of last season, we're just a small team. I've not watched the video back yet but at the match it looked to me like Todorov just got up the highest. He wasn't unmarked or the like, he was just the tallest player going for the ball. Add Watson and Hamilton to that line up and we'll be significantly strengthened. 

This is also the same reason why we've rarely scored from set pieces despite having some dead ball quality in the squad. 

20 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Ross Millen is probably one of our tallest outfield players, but the shitest in the air.

5 minutes ago, R12ATH said:

Fixed it for you.

I'm sure that will be a morale booster if he reads the forum. Second in the league and you're having a dig at a boy who has been pretty solid all season and who gives his all every week. Why ? 

Did you boo the team off on Saturday out of interest ? 

Just now, Rover1990 said:

Millen has been more than solid for us pretty much since the ICT game early last season.  He might not be the best in the air but his all round play is very good.  

Agree with this, I like Millen. Love his passion as well. Oh and glad to hear Blair on one of the previous podcasts complimenting Millens first touch, something I've admired for a long time.