The New Raith Rovers Thread

Recalling recent 4-4 results.

Tonight, shitting the bed against Hamilton and twice behind to Cowdenbeath only to be rescued by a stoppage time equaliser by Simon 'Gunther' Mensing.

The Hamilton result was hilariously used as an example as a panicking John McGlynn tried to explain away getting ridden 6-2 by Airdrieonians in a play off game. 

Edited by Zen Archer (Raconteur)

4 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Recalling recent 4-4 results.

Tonight, shitting the bed against Hamilton and twice behind to Cowdenbeath only to be rescued by a stoppage time equaliser by Simon 'Gunther' Mensing.

The Hamilton result was hilariously used as an example as a panicking John McGlynn tried to explain away getting ridden 6-2 by Airdrieonians in a play off game. 

The only other one I can recall was a Fife Cup game at Cowdenbeath on a pissing wet October holiday Monday circa 1980. We were 0-3 down then goalkeeper Tommy Walker started the fightback with a drop kick. I'm sure we went through on penalties.

Older guys talk of a 4-4 at Rugby Park (1960s) when we were 4-0 up and scored another which hit the stanchion and wasn't given.

I think last night was a combination of factors. 

1. We just looked a bit slack and lethargic from the first whistle. 

2. Ayr had us worked out and their wide players caused havoc all night. 

3. Smith was the wrong change for Stanton and just wasn't effective. 

4. Our defence as a collective had a shocker we didn't close people down and I'm going to include Byrne in this who had his worst game for us. 

5. Big Kev was suspect for the first goal but f**k me the 4th will haunt him. 

That said we've come back when we shouldn't have, (yet again) Lewis got a hattrick, it was great entertainment, a great turnout for a night game just before Christmas and United haven't gained any ground. 

Murray and his team will work on this and I think we will see a very different performance against Arbroath. 

Lewis fucking Vaughan. The love I’ve got for that guy. After all he’s been through to be sitting on 10 goals and top of the scorers list in the Championship is testament to not only his character but his quality and intelligence on the football park. He’s not charging round the park or chasing the full back down, but when the time comes he’s finding himself in the right place more often than not.

His third goal is a perfect example of his elite tier football intelligence. He sprays the ball out to Connolly from the left side then starts to run towards the box. As that brilliantly lifted, clipped ball from Connolly comes into him, Vaughan has sensed the space behind the centre half is available and already knows that Connolly has the ability to lift that ball over the defender and into him. He times his run into the vacant space perfectly. How many strikers in this league, at that point, try and take the ball on the chest and bring it down, then end up getting shown away from goal? Not Lewis Vaughan. Within the second it takes the ball to get to him, he’s sussed out where he is, where the goal is, where the goalkeeper is and the best way to get the ball into the back of the net. A sensational goal. 

I do wonder if we are beginning to see the evolution of Vaughan from tricky, nippy number 10 into just an all out goalscorer. There is no doubt he has, understandably, lost a wee touch of pace, but he certainly hasn’t lost any of his ability on the ball, touch, vision and now seemingly added an improved goal scoring ability to his arsenal. That’s him been back properly a year and it’s easy to just take him for granted but, although we didn’t get the result last night, watching him back to his best is honestly very deserving of just taking a wee step back for a moment and appreciating what we get to watch with him. 

Certainly don't want to be too harsh on the guys.  40 points, at this stage of the season, is an incredible return.  If you said to me going down the road to Tannadice last week that we would finish last nights game 5 points clear - I would have taken any possible permutation that led to that.  And if you said to me with 12 mins to go at Firhill in August that this is where we would be, I would have assumed heavy narcotics consumption.

I do think that some issues to work on have been exposed though, and things that were perhaps bubbling under the surface.  We have conceded as many goals in our last 2 home games, as Utd have in the entirety of the season.  Granted, that is partly a reflection on how well they defend, but it's something that has to be addressed urgently.  Another option at left back is probably top of the list there.  Not meaning to be harsh on Liam Dick, but its probably our weakest area across the back 4 - and the back 4 is our weakest area across the pitch.

Might be sounding harsh, but its a reflection on how well we have done this season that we are genuinely in with a shout for the title - at this stage.  It's all to play for.  Not gutted at all after last night - didn't see anything I wasn't already aware of, and whilst Utd dropped points also and we were against 10 men, when your having an off night and claw points back - its something to just take a move onto the next game.

And aye, Vaughan has been superb this season.  One of several things I have got wrong lately was thinking Vaughan was off it after the 4th ACL. Incorrect, he's been fucking excellent this season.

Edited by CALDERON

Just watched the highlights and I was a bit over critical of Big Kev. Not a lot he could do with the first 3 goals butthe last one was a howler. He chose to dive but could've just controlled it with his feet, there wasn't any power in the shot. I was glad to see Amartey going off as we just couldn't handle his direct play. Looking at it from a tactical point of view, right from the start there was a glaring hole in the middle of the park that Sam the Man normally fills but he was having to cover for Dick who probably had his worst game of the season. Vaughan, Hamilton and Connelly when he came on were the only pass marks for me last night. Sam did as well with the time he had on the park. 

I also wasn't sure who was playing where when Stanton came off, thought O'Reilly would've come on and Broonie moving into the middle instead of bringing Smith on

Edited by MICMAC

Can understand why Murray has been keeping playing Brown at CB.  He’s been getting better each game and having him at CB means that at any point we can switch from 4 at the back to 3 at the back without having to make a sub.  But last night really showed up that Brown isn’t a CB, although he wasn’t helped by both himself and most of the rest of the team having an off night.  Leaves Murray some decisions to make going forward, accept last night was an off night and stick with it, switch the formation to fit in both Brown and Byrne or only play one of them.

I remember Murray saying after the Airdrie defeat that it was a good thing and brought the guys back down to Earth.  I think the game last night could be the same.  Crazy that we still managed to get something from the game but a really good reminder that you’re not going to get away with a load of guys all having off nights. (Even though we did kinda get away with it)

Edited by SanStarko

Noticeable was that with both the penalty equaliser and the fourth goal equaliser, there wasn't much celebration from the players. Just an urge to try and get another goal. Both times ball grabbed out of the net and hurriedly placed back on the centre spot. Just a tremendous desire to try to get a victory despite things not being the best on the night.👏👏👏

With Byrne suspended for Abroath makes perfect sense to move Brown into that position and bring in O’Reilly or Corr. 

Watson nearing return and with Stanton being out for an unspecified time at this stage its maybe perfect timing for Ross Matthews to step back in after his injury hell. 

Our fantastic squad depth might just be crucial. 

Last night might end up being a positive for Murray and the squad. It ‘felt’ like a defeat and maybe we needed a wee reality check as I still maintain we’ve not played well for more than 45 minutes this season and that’s backed up with the 1 goal wins. It’s been a tremendous experience following this team home and away but there’s millions of bits from IM watching that full game back he can use to sharpen us up. 

Starting with a comfortable home win vs Abroath whilst hopefully Partick take something from DU. 

4 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

Older guys talk of a 4-4 at Rugby Park (1960s) when we were 4-0 up and scored another which hit the stanchion and wasn't given.

1968 if my memory serves me correctly. Could have been1969

14 hours ago, MICMAC said:

What a game. Full of mistakes, goalkeeping errors, lacklustre defending, bad refereeing and atrocious tackles. Ayr were lucky not to have more than one man sent off. Anyway we did it again, scored another goal in injury time.

How do you work that one out? There was one other card in the match and it was for a Raith player.