The New Raith Rovers Thread

I think with Vaughan if he keeps scoring and playing the way he is he will have interest. I think  he will stay with us if we go up. If we don't he may well look at the offers he has but I don't think he'd go to the likes of say Livingston if they stayed up. 

If someone like Hibs came along it's probably too good an opportunity for him to turn down. 

Look whatever happens he is and always will be a genuine club legend, we have been incredibly loyal but he has given us some unforgettable memories in return. 

I don’t think there’s any chance that Hibs (or Hearts) make an offer for Lewis Vaughan now. 

It would probably need to be a club making a calculated risk that he could make the step up, keep him fit and score the goals that keeps them in the top flight. 

Again, you’re maybe looking at Dundee, but I don’t see it 

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

I think with Vaughan if he keeps scoring and playing the way he is he will have interest. I think  he will stay with us if we go up. If we don't he may well look at the offers he has but I don't think he'd go to the likes of say Livingston if they stayed up. 

If someone like Hibs came along it's probably too good an opportunity for him to turn down. 

Look whatever happens he is and always will be a genuine club legend, we have been incredibly loyal but he has given us some unforgettable memories in return. 

He was a Hibs fan aswell according to his mate that used to post on here. 

I don't think with his age and injury history that he fits the profile that Hibs would go for. 

I'd say it would've been the Livingston of a couple of years back that would've suited him down to the ground, now I'm not sure. 

12 hours ago, McGuigan1978 said:

as much as a lot of Rovers fans are trying to downplay our spending, I think we’d top trump St Johnstone just now  

You think?

We cut the wage bill a lot this Summer but we still offer a good wage, and thats ignoring the expected plan of them trying to punt 5-7 players to fund 2-3 in.

I wouldnt be shocked at all if we're more interested in Vaughan than Easton.

35 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You think?

We cut the wage bill a lot this Summer but we still offer a good wage, and thats ignoring the expected plan of them trying to punt 5-7 players to fund 2-3 in.

I wouldnt be shocked at all if we're more interested in Vaughan than Easton.

I was told a few months back that St Johnstone's wage budget was really low this season, but of course, that maybe wasn't true and even if it was at the time, could and probably would change moving forward. 

I do think that a club with no previous ties to Vaughan would probably balk at giving him a multi-year deal on a decent salary though, whereas Rovers probably still would. 

11 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I was told a few months back that St Johnstone's wage budget was really low this season, but of course, that maybe wasn't true and even if it was at the time, could and probably would change moving forward. 

I do think that a club with no previous ties to Vaughan would probably balk at giving him a multi-year deal on a decent salary though, whereas Rovers probably still would. 

Its definitely down a lot from last season, but last season we had ~40 senior players. Also think people might hear we have the 2nd lowest top flight budget and assume its lower than it is, but teams like County and St Mirren are spending an absolute fortune, and even Killie were throwing big wages at players this Summer. The financial jump up a tier to these teams is bigger than some folk think.

Id expect its now close to roughly the level it was when we signed McCart/Rooney a few years ago, with a handful of key players being on 6 figures than, rather than being  what we were at Championship level with none earning that.

Not a clue where your budget will sit, mind you, so couldn't comment on how it would compare.

Levein (or Andy Kirk) wants a striker who can "do everything". Realistically they want one who can play in a 1 supported by 2 AMs, or in a 2. They need to be comfortable holding the ball up, linking with the midfield, and playing out wide. I think thats Vaughans profile? We signed a boy in the Summer whos been completely frozen out as he doesnt fit that, while Stevie May only ever gets games when its a last resort too. We'll definitely be signing a striker like that from within Scotland in either January or the Summer, and theyll make it a priority. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

Courier, about O'Reilly:

EXCLUSIVE: Raith Rovers boss addresses Dan O’Reilly’s future and January transfer plans

The defender's contract is due to expire in the coming days.

Discussions over Dan O’Reilly’s future at Raith Rovers are “two-way” insists manager Ian Murray.

The defender was a free agent when he signed a short-term deal last month and was an unused substitute in Friday night’s 4-4 draw with Ayr United.

That is due to expire in a few days after Rovers complete their 2023 schedule with a home match versus Arbroath.

O’Reilly started the first four matches immediately after he signed and Murray will be surprised if, given his performances, Raith are the only club with an interest in the centre-back.

The 28-year-old’s future could determine whether or not Murray seeks more defensive cover during the January window, with the loan market the most likely option for the Scottish Championship league leaders.

Dan O’Reilly deal ‘suited’ all parties

“No decision is being made at the moment,” Murray told Courier Sport. “When we signed Dan it was a good fit for both parties.

“It was good for Dan to get back playing football. it was good for us because we needed a centre half and we got someone of Dan’s calibre and experience which was really important.

“We’ll speak to Dan at some point and see what he’s thinking as well – because it’s not a one-way thing.

“Dan’s done really well and has put himself in the shop window and I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a couple of teams, particularly in the Championship, looking for a centre half and they are not talking about Dan.”

The Raith manager said recently that pace on the wing is one thing he will look to add over the coming weeks, but stressed that he’d be content to go with what he has for the run-in.

Depending on O’Reilly, and the fitness of the returning Keith Watson, a defender may be on their shopping list too.

Raith boss will look to loan market

“I would probably say the loan market is the one we will look at first,” said Murray. “The January window is very hard for all of us.

“It’s hard for Championship clubs in particular. Because of the winter break, the top teams aren’t going to do any business before the Scottish Cup games.

“I would expect very little in our league to be done before the latter end of January.

“We might have a look at a bit of defensive cover – it depends on Dan O’Reilly, it maybe depends on Shaun Byrne as well.

“But, to be honest, as I said to the board, I’m very happy with what we have.

“If this is what we have, then that’s fine, but I think we’re all in agreement that sometimes – especially with the way we’ve started – maybe one or two just to help us a little bit would be great.

“We don’t want to get ourselves in a silly position.”

5 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Reads to me that O'Reilly unlikely to be staying and we'll be looking to spend the wage elsewhere. Either a fast full back or a winger but who knows 🤷‍♂️ 

I’d be a bit more optimistic, and suggest he’s likely to stay unless a starting role somewhere at the same or higher level is offered. Being part of this team must be brilliant right now, so I’m sure it’s tempting, but he knows the realities of Murray, Watson and Brown.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

I’d be a bit more optimistic, and suggest he’s likely to stay unless a starting role somewhere at the same or higher level is offered. Being part of this team must be brilliant right now, so I’m sure it’s tempting, but he knows the realities of Murray, Watson and Brown.

I can see him ending up at the Townies tbh. They're very short on defensive cover and him and Bene (when he's fit) would probably make a good partnership. 

Why don't we give him a game at LB, his crossing seems to be ok and he does like to bomb forward.

7 minutes ago, MICMAC said:

I can see him ending up at the Townies tbh. They're very short on defensive cover and him and Bene (when he's fit) would probably make a good partnership. 

Why don't we give him a game at LB, his crossing seems to be ok and he does like to bomb forward.

Maybe we will Saturday, a last hurrah for us to evaluate if we want to offer more or a different role, and for him to be in the shop window. Kinda a win win.

6 hours ago, MICMAC said:

Aye send him our way! Liked what I seen of him in the Cup game and has been pretty sound whenever I've seen him on the highlights/TV since.

Bene should be back for this weekend, if not then the our game on 2nd Jan, Breen came back last week at Arbroath. However, Chris Hamilton went off with a fractured cheekbone and Lewis McCann has "done" his hamstring, so it's two in, two out at the injury room revolving door.

I’d keep O’Reilly but I’d agree that does read like we’re waiting to see if something better comes along before we commit.
Seems a risky strategy but can’t really fault the recruitment at all since Potter came in so I’ll trust them.