The New Raith Rovers Thread

I’d be gutted if we lose out on O’Reilly, but if he wants more than we’re prepared to pay then so be it. Defence should be the priority imo. As for the possible Easton transfer saga. If Dundee want him that much then Byrne on a permanent deal and Tiffoney on loan for the rest of the season seems only fair as for me personally Easton is high value. 

2 hours ago, Raithie said:

...Unless a Prem team comes knocking, is he Prem quality? Probably not. With Matthews back Murray has option of putting Brown at the back until Watson is available (not that I agree with that)...

There's another way to look at it, who do we have that IS Prem quality? Or, even is O'Reilly better than all but one of Watson/Murray/Brown/Corr/Masson/Dick at CB?

I'm not sure Murray is Prem quality, as an every day starter...Watson seems finished at that level...Brown would be exposed...Corr and Masson haven't developed enough yet to know...Dick would be like Murray, not a starter right now...O'Reilly, IDK, he might be the best of the lot right now.

Just now, TxRover said:

There's another way to look at it, who do we have that IS Prem quality? Or, even is O'Reilly better than all but one of Watson/Murray/Brown/Corr/Masson/Dick at CB?

I'm not sure Murray is Prem quality, as an every day starter...Watson seems finished at that level...Brown would be exposed...Corr and Masson haven't developed enough yet to know...Dick would be like Murray, not a starter right now...O'Reilly, IDK, he might be the best of the lot right now.

Totally agree. We have a lot of CB's but are any capable of a step up if it comes? 

They've struggled at this level and Dabrowski has made a huge amount of big saves, so could have been more conceded. 

If O'Reilly is signed surely we have to put someone out on loan as 7 possible Center backs is too much. Maybe send Masson out on loan to get more game time? If all fit, I can't see Corr getting any game time either unless the others form, is poor. 

At this point we really should be investing in players who are going to push for positions and improve the squad, especially as we are very much in the title race. Maybe moving on McGill as well if he is not going to get a look in and free up another wage? I'm just hypothesising. 

So O'Reilly has gone from being without a club to being Premiership quality in the space of 6 weeks? I'm not having that. He's a steady enough player who I would like to keep hold of as a squad player but I think folk are getting a bit carried away, probably in part due to his two goals on Tuesday. 

8 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

So O'Reilly has gone from being without a club to being Premiership quality in the space of 6 weeks? I'm not having that. He's a steady enough player who I would like to keep hold of as a squad player but I think folk are getting a bit carried away, probably in part due to his two goals on Tuesday. 

Yeah I think Murray's unwillingness to commit shows where we are at on O'Reilly, without question a solid Championship centre half. With a full strength team he won't get a game. I'd be open to giving him a deal till the end of the season.

Would header his mum for a fiver but he might get a better/longer contract elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Well Vardy went from conference to winning the English league title. Anything is possible. 

He's been our standout centre half over the last 6 weeks and actually gave us a threat at set pieces which none of our other centre half's have. The 2 goals against Dunfermline aren't clouding folks view, he has been a really good acquisition by Murray and would start in my defence ahead of anyone at present. 

4 minutes ago, OhnononoGeordieMunro said:

I'd be open to seeing McGill and Corr (pending O'Reilly staying) going out for at least a month to get some game time.

No such thing. Unless they go non-League, any position player loan must extend to at least the beginning of the next transfer window. Since the January window has opened, they would have to be loaned until May/June. Shorter Emergency Loans only apply to keepers. I can't see McGill or Masson going to the HL/LL.

Screenshot2024-01-04155329.png.2effd0ffab5ef32d5fe7f2e9867b6786.pngScreenshot2024-01-04155359.png.d8e409c3b7833f83818b03e5fd41c0ec.png

2 minutes ago, David McGurns Left Glove said:

Sending players out for only a month wouldn't really be feasible I dont think. Mcgill also gives very important cover to just about every position on the pitch. 

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

No such thing. Unless they go non-League, any position player loan must extend to at least the beginning of the next transfer window. Since the January window has opened, they would have to be loaned until May/June. Shorter Emergency Loans only apply to keepers. I can't see McGill or Masson going to the HL/LL.

Screenshot2024-01-04155329.png.2effd0ffab5ef32d5fe7f2e9867b6786.pngScreenshot2024-01-04155359.png.d8e409c3b7833f83818b03e5fd41c0ec.png

I'll probably just stick to telling Ross Millen I love him versus dishing out squad advice to IM.

58 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

The club will do their business as they've done already. Folk were resigned to losing Stanton and he agreed a new deal. They've said they'll chat after Saturday so we'll see how it goes.

Big fan of the podcast you do, when’s the next episode out? 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Eric Drysdale reading that bottom paragraph

bart simpson GIF

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Liked your comment as you make a good point.

However we have just learned in the last 24 hours that Connor O’Riordan went from bottom half Scottish Championship to English Championship in 12 months. That’s a staggering jump. 

6 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Not what I said. I said he is perhaps the most likely to be able to do the job, of the current CB’s plus Dick.

However, let’s face a reality here, a fully competent Championship CB/CH is likely fairly capable of playing for at least a bottom three or four Premiership team, especially if paired with an average or better Premiership player. There simply is a much more significant difference between most defenders on the lower performing Premiership teams and the top four in the Premiership than there is between those same players and a starter on a  top two or three Championship team.

If the Rovers were to be promoted after this season, the whole team would not simply be scraped and replaced with players “with experience” from the relegated team(s), some amount of the team would be found next year starting or backing up at the higher level.

The dearth of available Championship quality centre backs definitely works more in O'Reilly's favour than it does the clubs. He'll know how many interested parties he has and will be able to pit them against each other for better terms for himself. This is obviously the correct thing to do for himself but a pain for us. I'd like him to stay on but I wouldn't be paying over the odds for him. 

The management team got it right in the summer with the recruitment and I have faith in them to do the same in January. A centre back until the end of the season is a necessity to maintain a title challenge and Murray and Potter will be fully aware of this.

Couple of points after reading the last few pages.......

Liam Dick is decent cover at CB in an emergency but is absolutely not a better option there than Euan Murray.

Not a chance we're signing Lewis Strapp if both Killie and Dundee want him (as is rumoured).