The New Raith Rovers Thread

Re O'Reilly. We offered him terms until the end of the season. He was dossing about without a club until November so it's a no brainer that having some financial security until 2025 rather than until the end of this season would have played a part in his decision to stay or go. I think if Murray really wanted him he'd have offered him better terms and I'd suspect he would have stayed. We lost Musonda to Ayr in similar circumstances ie Ayr offering a longer deal than what we were prepared to offer. 

Good luck to the laddie, he was a decent player for us at this level. A real threat at set pieces and will always be fondly remembered for his goals against them.

But let’s be honest, our defence needs a shake up. The amount of goals we concede, for a side pushing for the title is alarming. 

Dont know why Murray won’t play Corr, I know a number of fans that liked the look of him before he got injured. Watson can’t be too far away either  

1 hour ago, Raithie said:

Re O'Reilly. We offered him terms until the end of the season. He was dossing about without a club until November so it's a no brainer that having some financial security until 2025 rather than until the end of this season would have played a part in his decision to stay or go. I think if Murray really wanted him he'd have offered him better terms and I'd suspect he would have stayed. We lost Musonda to Ayr in similar circumstances ie Ayr offering a longer deal than what we were prepared to offer. 

We also brought Josh Mullin in based on exactly the same dynamic. 

6 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

We also brought Josh Mullin in based on exactly the same dynamic. 

Never know we might offer Vaughan and Easton like a 3 year deal for longer Job security Vaughan would be the most likely to sign out the 2 but those were just 2 examples 

9 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:

I meant CH but yeah he did play right back and left back for us so this Myth he can only play left side is bs 

Think people are forgetting the defensive form the team displayed when Waston was in the team. Between second of September and second of December we didn't concede more over two goals in any game, conceding 10 goals in three months. We, for a period of time, were defensively solid.

2 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Tbf I think it’s surprising you’re looking at him as well (if your rumours are true) I’d thought it be certain you lot will be looking for a CH or 2 and a Wing backs because of your horrendous injury record at the back 

Aye he wouldn’t be top of my shopping list, however if we were able to do it I’d take it. He’s better than Joe Chalmers and Paul Allan so any upgrade there would be welcome. If we’re going to have issues with the defenders, then Otoo and Hamilton will continue playing there (if fit) so another CM wouldn’t be terrible. Have to think if Halliday came in he wouldn’t be there to sit on the bench.

But yes, you’re right, we need defensive cover. That being said, I hope we do something at the top end of the pitch, an out and out striker.

2 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Going to guess that a few people’s opinions on O’Reilly as a player would have been vastly different right now had he signed on at Raith.

Suddenly a player you were really keen to keep becomes over-hyped.

To be completely honest, he was probably the third or fourth choice CB, behind Watson, Brown and (probably) Murray. However, with Watson’s disappearance for months, he became a very important bit part. I do think he was roughly equivalent to Brown or Murray, but IM and Potter apparently have different plans since they were only offering through June.

There was a wide range of opinions by Rovers fans on O’Reilly, so the range of opinions on his leaving isn’t really surprising. I think the fact he went to Partick is a bit off putting to some, since they are in third right now. I would have been happy to keep him this year (and next), but that horse has left the barn.

I think he is a solid Championship central defender, but arguably our best defensive performance this season was at Tannadice, and he spent the entire game on the bench. 

I’d have preferred if he stayed, but if it means we can bring in another player then it’s far from a disaster. 

I was more impressed with D O'R than at first I thought I'd be and because of that surprise, I'm sorry he's off to a rival, still it could have been worse he might have gone only 10 miles west! The problem will be finding a decent replacement, center halves aren't exactly ten a penny these days and decent (let alone good) ones are rare as rocking horse shit.

I feel Murray now definitely has to make an acquisition or two at the back, Dan was big and physical in a way that we generally aren't and his presence will be missed.  We have looked shaky recently with both Muzza and Broony both failing to stop their men getting shots away, Saturday was different (from what I've seen) from recent conceded goals. Airdrie were not only big they were very physical and bossed it, Todcheaterov made space far too easily for himself with that header, we simply have to do better in those situations.  Both Mason and Corr lack the physique so hopefully Watson come back sooner than later, all the same it'd be handy to have another guy who could fill the role, to me it seemed O'Rielly was a ready made fit. Although Broony can obviously play there it's clearly not his ideal position and we need his presence more in front of the defence than in it.

In the media I notice the Courier pissing on our chips a little too, "ooh only 4 points from the last 12 has the Rovers bubble burst?" Perhaps no more that playing to the local crowd but F*** 'em all the same.

On 07/01/2024 at 12:55, MICMAC said:

The number of Airdrie fans that are on all our social media pages saying we were beaten fair and square by a better team 🤔 thinking they are some kind of Barcelona tippy tappy team is laughable 😂

We were well off it but Airdrie weren't much better, the match stats reveal a different story though. We created enough to win the game but they scored and we didn't.

That ref shouldn't be anywhere near a game at this level again. There's better refereeing Saturday amateur games.

IMG_20240107_124835_582.jpg

On 07/01/2024 at 12:58, RRFC_Liam said:

Aye I’ve seen that as well since the game… were their cup final 👍 will always raise their game against us because of ex manager and a few players 

These two posts surprised me. I posted similar on the match thread. My Twitter algorithm seemed to show up with lots of raith fans commenting about airdrie fans having the audacity to celebrate a win against the best team in the league. Why wouldn’t we celebrate it? Although we are in the promotion play offs, our ultimate aim is still survival and still think that will be a challenge if we get unlucky with injuries. At what point is it acceptable to celebrate a win?

Dundee United looking really strong now that they’ve added Wotherspoon and Grieve. I don’t envisage them dropping too many points now between now and season close.

2nd would definitely be regarded as a good season but with summer recruitment it had to be top 4.

There’s work to be done though as PT ain’t too far back and we’ve issues to be addressed. Still a very unsettled back 4, shoehorning defenders in there. Not adapted to the loss of Stanton as yet, KD injured and a loss of form from a few. 

Hopefully Murray and the board have got a couple of aces up their sleeve soon as we’re sitting watching the teams currently sitting in 2nd and 3rd do some tidy business. 

19 minutes ago, Aufc said:

These two posts surprised me. I posted similar on the match thread. My Twitter algorithm seemed to show up with lots of raith fans commenting about airdrie fans having the audacity to celebrate a win against the best team in the league. Why wouldn’t we celebrate it? Although we are in the promotion play offs, our ultimate aim is still survival and still think that will be a challenge if we get unlucky with injuries. At what point is it acceptable to celebrate a win?

I don't blame the Airdrie fans at all. For a first season up, mid table safety along with having the Indian sign over the promotion chasing side which contains the manager who left you for them and a number of ex players, well that would be pretty much as good as you could hope for. 

6 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Dundee United looking really strong now that they’ve added Wotherspoon and Grieve. I don’t envisage them dropping too many points now between now and season close.

2nd would definitely be regarded as a good season but with summer recruitment it had to be top 4.

There’s work to be done though as PT ain’t too far back and we’ve issues to be addressed. Still a very unsettled back 4, shoehorning defenders in there. Not adapted to the loss of Stanton as yet, KD injured and a loss of form from a few. 

Hopefully Murray and the board have got a couple of aces up their sleeve soon as we’re sitting watching the teams currently sitting in 2nd and 3rd do some tidy business. 

Seen a lot of posts about how we’ve not adapted to the loss of Stanton. Of course we’ve not, he’s our best player. Take any team’s best player out of their 11 and watch them struggle without them - from the very top levels of the game  to the very bottom. 

I do think we need a wee freshen up and do also think we’ll get it. We now need a centre half for sure. I’m quite confident it’ll be Lee Ashcroft. I think we’ll see Gullan leave and a proper striker come in. I also think we’ll probably see Lewis Stevenson come in for the left back position. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a few more players go to free up space in the wage budget for new faces. 

Dan O’Reilly is an odd one. With some of the reactions from some of our fans you’d think we’d lost a prime Franco Baresi. Let’s not forget that he was kept out of the team by central midfielder Scott Brown for a number of weeks. Very good at attacking the ball but prone to rashness and I always got the impression that Murray wasn’t interested in breaking the bank to keep him. He’s not a Premiership centre half so doesn’t make sense to offer him a deal beyond the end of the season given our current position and ambitions. I don’t blame Dan for taking the longer term deal on more money. Anyone would do the same. Good luck to him. 

O’Reilly is an intresting situation. I totally understand why he was offered a deal to the end of the season - if we manage to go up, he would likely have been surplus to requirements. In hindsight, listening to the last few interviews with Murray that he wasn't convinced he would stay.

I would have loved to have seen him at the club until the end of the season for consistency,  but I would not have wanted to see him on a multi-year deal which is [understandably] what he was looking for.

I do think he had a few memorable performances, but he is also a player that couldn't get a club for 6 months. I trust that he will do a good job at thistle.

In terms of Dylan Easton - he is having a great season with us and I am always concerned he will be poached by someone. It would be lovely to get his contract extended  by a year or two. I don't think it is too beyond belief as he clearly had issues earlier in his career and consistency in a team that is allowing him to thrive could be better than a gamble on a "step up".

In terms of transfers, I'd love to see an old school, tall commanding CB brought in - someone who will actually put in a tackle. Is just where to find one on no budget.

Edited by chris1883

13 hours ago, CALDERON said:

I'll know how I feel about when I see if anyone comes into replace him.  As it stands right now, that's a blow.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Dan O’Reilly is an odd one. With some of the reactions from some of our fans you’d think we’d lost a prime Franco Baresi. Let’s not forget that he was kept out of the team by central midfielder Scott Brown for a number of weeks. Very good at attacking the ball but prone to rashness and I always got the impression that Murray wasn’t interested in breaking the bank to keep him. He’s not a Premiership centre half so doesn’t make sense to offer him a deal beyond the end of the season given our current position and ambitions. I don’t blame Dan for taking the longer term deal on more money. Anyone would do the same. Good luck to him. 

My views on losing O'Reilly are probably similar to the above. As has been mentioned, he's a solid Championship defender and would have been a welcome addition until the end of the season but not beyond for a club with aspirations of promotion. He especially added an attacking threat for us but we continued to leak goals whilst he was here and had our best defensive display when he wasn't in the team. The impact of him leaving will be truly felt by our ability to sign another centre back this window and what quality they are. If Murray had really wanted him to stay, I'm sure he would have. The chat about exploring options a couple weeks ago made it sound like he was looking for better rather than being all-in on O'Reilly.

I have no qualms with Dan himself taking the deal which offers him better security. I'd expect the same of pretty much any footballer at this level with no ties to a club.

14 hours ago, Double Jack D said:

Fair play to the boy, we couldve offered him til the end of the season but didny.

That said, if he doesn't sign we still have Murray, Watson, Corr, Mason, Dick and Brown that can play centre half so we won't break the bank to keep him. 

I would like him to stay but there's other clubs with more money and some that are far more desperate than we are.

Said this before O'Reilly signed for Thistle and it's kinda how it played out. 

Whilst I wouldn't describe Thistles situation as desperate, I think their need for a centre half is greater than ours at present and they are willing to go beyond this season with an offer. I'm happy we didn't.

Don't get me wrong, O'Reilly would've been a great option for us this season however we don't need to be throwing daft money or lengthy contracts at him to get him to stay, there are other possibilities and options. We managed ok at Tannadice without him for example and he was part of the shocking defensive display at home to Ayr (Although, ironicallly I don't think he particularly had a bad game that night). Watson appears almost ready to return and Dylan Corr isn't miles away from being a first Team player and would benefit from a run in the team. Also, with Ross Matthews being back, Scott Brown can drop back too. He also frees up a wage that can be deployed at another CB or elsewhere in the team (Scott Tiffoney would be my preference :))

Wish the lad all the best, 2 goals at East end in a Rovers victory hasn't been done by many. 

9 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Going to guess that a few people’s opinions on O’Reilly as a player would have been vastly different right now had he signed on at Raith.

He was a player most fans would want to keep obviously because he’s done ok and was offered a deal until the end of the season , It’s more disappointing he strengthened a team that are in the playoff position at the moment but clearly his wage demands were more than we could or would pay which I’m happy about 

Never mind new faces coming in!

So now we know O'Reilly is away, the reality is the following players could sign a PCA with another club, as all out of contract at seasons end.

Thomson, McNeil
Corr, Masson, Dick, Millen,Watson
Matthews, Byrne (loan), McGill, Easton, Ross
Vaughan, Gullan

So as well as getting in some fresh faces, we face the prospect of losing some of the above if we don't get the chequebook out to secure them.

Priorities?
I would say one or both goalies, Millen (aggressive RB and good crosser - currently only RB we have!), Byrne and Vaughan.

Easton I think is already away.  McGill is a very useful player but is a wage to sit on the bench.  Ross will be away to Falkirk permanently I think.

I like Matthews but he has been out for a long time, and will take time to work back into the team.  I hope he is the player he was and then we can add him as a priority too.

Dick is better I think in the middle than he is at LB.  But Premier league possibly?

The rest have not played enough for me to be other than meh if they go.

10 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

When both Murray and Watson were fit he drops to 3rd maybe even 4th choice he was a short term fix… as I’ve posted earlier Ian Murray probably didn’t want him in the end or we would’ve got something done weeks ago rather than leave it last minute