The New Raith Rovers Thread

59 minutes ago, Railwaystand said:

17 mins in for the first Easton roll around the ground today I timed it as. 

very frustrating considering the start we had. Thought Corr looked fine today and was a makeshift back 5 with a new boy in midfield. Hopefully the injured players can get back soon and we can play with a bit more confidence again. 

Has to be said Queens Park were poor aswell and we handed that to them. 

Hope we're poor again next week...

3 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

To be fair we've been riding our luck most of the season. We've never really been that good. 

Think we peaked too soon tbh. But we are still good enough for play offs. Although are we ready for SPL? Who knows!

To be fair the new board and manager have always stated we appear ahead of the game. Come the summer we will see what to expect next season if we stay down. Hopefully our recruitment will plug the gaps. Proper competition up front, pace out wide, aggression in the middle of the park and an improvement on our defence. We concede far too many goals, soft goals and can be very one dimensional up front with nice passing etc.

16 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

To be fair we've been riding our luck most of the season. We've never really been that good. 

You only need to be better than the rest. Every league winner rides their luck for large parts of the season. 

There will be doubts over Murray as he’s effectively doing what he did at Airdrie and he didn’t win anything there. With the infrastructure and contracts that Raith are able to commit to, you don’t have the feeling of one season wonders like we did last season. If you don’t go up now then I think you’ll be back up there next season. 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

3 more years of Murray isn't looking quite so appealing right now. 

Haven't a clue what you're smoking but I wouldn't mind a couple of puffs of it 😂

Hopefully in the cold light of day tomorrow some folk that have posted in the last few hours will realise they’ve massively over-reacted and feel a bit embarrassed. 

I think we can all see that a lack of quality defensively has been a problem all season. 
When the attackers were firing on all cylinders it didn’t matter but now that they’re tired/the opposition have learned how to play us/ they’ve dipped in form the defensive frailties have been exposed. 

Last summer we did some phenomenal business to provide quality in depth in the attacking positions.
My hope is that if we don’t go up this season we’ll be able to recruit that kind of quality in depth for the other end of the pitch. 
If we manage that we’ll be in with a fantastic chance next year, especially if it’s Livi that come down. 

Having said that, this season is far from done yet. United only ahead on goal difference and we still play them twice. 
And there’s two weeks of transfer window left for Murray to shore up the defence. 
Hopefully someone shows him how to remove the ‘midfielder’ filter from that excel sheet of signing targets he has. 

14 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

I think we can all see that a lack of quality defensively has been a problem all season. 
When the attackers were firing on all cylinders it didn’t matter but now that they’re tired/the opposition have learned how to play us/ they’ve dipped in form the defensive frailties have been exposed. 

Just to counter that point but isn’t that upto Murray to try and change it if we’ve become too predictable though? Obviously the players do it on the park but he sets up how we play so surely he can change or the real question is can he change? 

27 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Hopefully in the cold light of day tomorrow some folk that have posted in the last few hours will realise they’ve massively over-reacted and feel a bit embarrassed. 

Last summer we did some phenomenal business to provide quality in depth in the attacking positions.
My hope is that if we don’t go up this season we’ll be able to recruit that kind of quality in depth for the other end of the pitch. 
If we manage that we’ll be in with a fantastic chance next year, especially if it’s Livi that come down. 

Having said that, this season is far from done yet. United only ahead on goal difference and we still play them twice. 
And there’s two weeks of transfer window left for Murray to shore up the defence. 
Hopefully someone shows him how to remove the ‘midfielder’ filter from that excel sheet of signing targets he has. 

👍

Wasn,t that long ago we were the best thing since sliced bread according to some now we are the polar opposite

Target was top 4 finish and still on target for that at the minute

The club has come a long way in a short space of time since the new owners have come in

Some really need to temper their expectafions

Edited by Rovers_Lad

The vast majority of fans would have taken top four this season. We're well ahead of that so far.

Five points from the last five games is a poor return, however if we win the next home league game, we would go in to the next Utd game guaranteed that we could go level with them at the very worst.

I think the Arabs will pull away from us and win the league fairly easily, but lets try keeping in touch with them, rather than looking over the shoulder, as long as we can.

Hopefully the two week break before the next league game allows us to get players back from injury and/or recruit.

Corr looked alright today and Turner looks to be a good adddition.

The atmosphere at home games has been poor. The South Stand holds 3k even without the removed seats at the front. Im sure we can find space to accomodate a singing section that would get things going. Might be something that can be looked at prior to season tickets going on sale for next season.

Edited by Halbeath Raith Rover

The last 3 games at home have been disappointing. Shipped 8 goals. It’s not hard to see where our problems are. 

I didn’t think we played that badly though yesterday. Corr was solid enough, it really is hard to give a report card on him as his seasons been so stop start. McNeil unfortunate to start the last 2 games and we’ve subsequently lost them both. But can argue he hasn’t really done anything wrong. Easton trying far too hard and it’s not going for him. Also teams will definitely have a game plan to stop him. Airdrie by all accounts did it last week, and he was kept relatively quiet again yesterday. Murray’s benched him before, I think it’s about time he does it again. I can see why Mullin was deployed at RB, but again this was where QP were targeting us. The fact the boy got a run of him goal side before scoring on his weaker foot is really frustrating. A good finish none the less. Their winner is just standard pish marking and a free header. 

It was definitely a case of fine margins yesterday though. I was convinced Hamilton’s Header at the start of the second half was bulging in the corner of the net. Some save from Ferrie. It looked like he got a touch onto Gullan’s free kick at the death too, but haven’t watched the highlights. 

Couple of weeks away from league business now. An opportunity to get through in both (in which one would lead to another Challenge cup final) 

This season has been great so far, but this is hopefully just our “bump in the road” Judging by Murray’s interview there is still scope for 1 or 2 more bodies coming in. Whether that means that someone leaves the club though is up for debate.

Edited by Wardy

Some amount of over reactions on here.  Joint top of the league, only lost 3 games all season, and some amazing moments sofar this season.  But one bad spell and suddenly people start losing their shit.

The amount of people who seem to think we signed Turner instead of signing a defender is baffling.  Just because we signed Turner doesn't mean we're not looking for defenders, it's just that he arrived sooner.  We're reliant on when other teams will let their players go during this window.  I'm sure Potter would love to tell Dundee to just give us Ashcroft right now and that we don't care that they want to get cover first, but that's not how it works.  

We offered O'Reilly a deal, he chose to goto Partick as they offered him a longer deal, it happens.  If we end this transfer window with the same defence as we have now, then you can you start throwing your toys out of the pram.  

We're having a bad spell and we've not coped at all with being top of the league.  But pretty confident we'll have a much stronger looking defence come the end of this transfer window and be in a good place to get the form back on track.  Plus I'd much rather have a bad spell now, and be on form going into the Play Offs, than do what Queen's Park did last season and have your bad spell at the end of the season and end up getting thumped in the Play Offs as a result.

Edited by SanStarko

I wouldn't be concerned too much although although United are rotten,  I cannot see them dropping too many games second half of the season...     It always looked to outsiders that Raith would internally combust eventually,  wonder goals, late goals you must have picked up around 20 points doing that (well done etc).   My main point is I think Ian Murray will now attempt to grind out results and play more conservatively, that's in his natural DNA,  he was never a particularly positive or expansive manager and is probably out with his comfort zone,   

Watching Murray take a meltdown last week yanking off Easton, Vaughn and Smith all top players and replacing them with Connolly, Hamilton and Gullan just shows the depth you have in those areas...