The New Raith Rovers Thread

12 minutes ago, mrraith71 said:

Is Ashcroft really the answer though? 

It's a yes for me Clive. An established centre half who has won this league before and can add experience and guile, along with a threat at set pieces.

It would give us four choices at centre half who have looked solid and would give us a chance to get Masson out on loan.

8 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

…and would give us a chance to get Masson out on loan.

I’ve been pondering this one, and I’m wondering why? What’s the point now, if he plays well it just ups his cost to re-sign…he’s probably already inclined not to re-sign because we’ve stuffed him on the bench all season. I think that ship has sailed, and the few pence saved aren’t worth the loss of emergency CB/RB cover from him.

10 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

It's a yes for me Clive. An established centre half who has won this league before and can add experience and guile, along with a threat at set pieces.

It would give us four choices at centre half who have looked solid and would give us a chance to get Masson out on loan.

Plus he’s something else that we’re missing a leader and organiser at the back since Keith’s been out we have not had that for months but all the reasons you’ve listed and what I’ve said it makes sense tbh 

Just now, TxRover said:

I’ve been pondering this one, and I’m wondering why? What’s the point now, if he plays well it just ups his cost to re-sign…he’s probably already inclined not to re-sign because we’ve stuffed him on the bench all season. I think that ship has sailed, and the few pence saved aren’t worth the loss of emergency CB/RB cover from him.

Surely you’d get him out playing to find potential suitors because let’s be real he’s no gonna get a game here unless a mass injury crisis happens and needs must but I can’t see him playing at all long term or short term even so a loan get game time then see if the potential suitors comes in 

Just now, RRFC_Liam said:

Surely you’d get him out playing to find potential suitors because let’s be real he’s no gonna get a game here unless a mass injury crisis happens and needs must but I can’t see him playing at all long term or short term even so a loan get game time then see if the potential suitors comes in 

He’s out of contract at seasons end.

He delayed signing our offer last year because he was pissed at being stuck on the bench and not loaned out.

He's seen midfielders at FB and CB ahead of him, despite having started several matches the there in the last couple of years, and done fine by all indications.

Sorry, I don’t see anything we can do to our advantage if we’re not going to play the lad. Fair play to him, he’s been upbeat and was very much a team player when he co-broadcast on RaithTV a little while back.

I’m disappointed in IM’s mishandling of Masson, but at this point it’s all water under the bridge and I don’t think anything we do will keep him a Rover…which I also believe we will regret.

6 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I’m disappointed in IM’s mishandling of Masson, but at this point it’s all water under the bridge and I don’t think anything we do will keep him a Rover…which I also believe we will regret

I don’t think we will regret it Tx, I don’t think he was ever going to be a starter for us and get sold for a bit of money, he is quite small for a cb , I like him , his attitude but he needs first team games and don’t blame him if he moves on but he is older than corr and who looks the better bet for game time , not being horrible just facts, we are in a championship race this year, Murray wants his experienced players on the park, whether that’s right or not is another story🤷🏻‍♂️

14 minutes ago, TxRover said:

He delayed signing our offer last year because he was pissed at being stuck on the bench and not loaned out.

He's seen midfielders at FB and CB ahead of him, despite having started several matches the there in the last couple of years, and done fine by all indications.

Sorry, I don’t see anything we can do to our advantage if we’re not going to play the lad. Fair play to him, he’s been upbeat and was very much a team player when he co-broadcast on RaithTV a little while back.

I’m disappointed in IM’s mishandling of Masson, but at this point it’s all water under the bridge and I don’t think anything we do will keep him a Rover…which I also believe we will regret.

Aye I know but I’m saying get him out on loan playing week in week out so it benefits him looking for a move in the summer because if he stays here for the rest of the season he’s going to have next to no game time get him out to a league 2 side get him the game time he needs,  he simply has to play to benefit going forward in his career and he’s not getting that here 

Edited by RRFC_Liam

1 minute ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Aye I know but I’m saying get him out on loan playing week in week out so it benefits him looking for a move in the summer because if he stays here for the rest of the season he’s going to have next to no game time get him out to a league 2 side get him the game time he needs he simply has to play and he’s not getting that here 

But that doesn’t benefit us, it takes away some depth is what I’m saying.

What you are saying is right for the player, but we’ve bulldozed that all season.

5 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

I don’t think we will regret it Tx, I don’t think he was ever going to be a starter for us and get sold for a bit of money, he is quite small for a cb , I like him , his attitude but he needs first team games and don’t blame him if he moves on but he is older than corr and who looks the better bet for game time , not being horrible just facts, we are in a championship race this year, Murray wants his experienced players on the park, whether that’s right or not is another story🤷🏻‍♂️

Fair enough, we differ in opinions. I actually suspect he’ll end up as more of a RB.

Megwa is set to be the backup rb for Hibs and I can't say I blame them one bit, he shows alot of promise for an 18? Year old. 

Even if Masson doesn't stay with us next season, him improving his game to where he can get another professional team then perhaps down the line moves for money benefits ourselves. It also gives the player the game time he will want, which he won't get for a team chasing promotion in the championship. 

We've had far better youngsters than Masson not make it but bringing in Ashcroft would definitely give us the opportunity to get him out on loan, where the problem then becomes, does he actually get a game ala Mitchell who has struggled at east Fife ffs. 

50 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Not sure he's been mishandled. Masson isn't good enough to impact our first team and has had the game time he's deserved IMO.

I don't see Masson being a top league centre half, I'd imagine he ends up part-time next season.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Sorry, I just don't get this at all.

If Masson wants to leave because he hasn't been getting game time, that's fair enough. He won't be signing on at another club in the Championship though, I can't see. He's played next to no senior football and would feasibly struggle to get a full time gig.

As for him missing out at playing full back. He's not a full back. You've mentioned plenty of times lately that he's played there and 'done fine' - so have Mullin, McGill etc. Murray's made a decision that playing Masson at right full back wasn't his preferred option. He's the manager, I'll let him decide. If that puts Masson's nose out of joint and he wants to leave, then more power to his elbow. I'll wish the lad well.

A wild shout to describe his lack of first team football as mishandling though.

1 hour ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

Sorry, I just don't get this at all.

If Masson wants to leave because he hasn't been getting game time, that's fair enough. He won't be signing on at another club in the Championship though, I can't see. He's played next to no senior football and would feasibly struggle to get a full time gig.

As for him missing out at playing full back. He's not a full back. You've mentioned plenty of times lately that he's played there and 'done fine' - so have Mullin, McGill etc. Murray's made a decision that playing Masson at right full back wasn't his preferred option. He's the manager, I'll let him decide. If that puts Masson's nose out of joint and he wants to leave, then more power to his elbow. I'll wish the lad well.

A wild shout to describe his lack of first team football as mishandling though.

Agreed, Masson will need to bulk up a fair bit if he was ever going to make it at this level. He has lower league part time written all over his career. 

In terms of Ashcroft we should be doing everything we can to sign him either on loan with a view to a permanent signing or permanent now. He's a top level Championship player that can play in the Premier league. He will offer us a strong CH who could have us playing either as a 3 at the back or a 4. He can also chip in with the odd goal from set pieces.

Joint top of the league and we’re still going on and on and on about Adam fucking Masson. 🤣

Not good enough for where we want to be, don’t think he ever has to be honest. Sounds like a nice enough boy but that’s simply not enough.

IMO he simply doesn’t warrant any game time. A complete an utter last resort. Brown goes in at CB every single time over Masson. Murray even puts Brown in over Corr as well. Gies peace FFS. 🤣

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

I haven't said he'll sign for another Championship team, I would expect a League One or Two team to snap him up and give him a shot.

I’ve seen numerous posts from you regard Masson..are you related to the boy or something. Mishandled by IM by ‘stuffing him on the bench’ but expect he’ll be picked up by a part time league two team to play with the joiners and fishmongers.

For things to be concerned about or querying…Masson getting game time ain’t it. 

4 hours ago, SerieA said:

Are we going to have reserve/development team next season?

There were statements that we were intending to, but there was a comment a little while back suggesting we weren’t going to get it organised for next year.

4 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

I’ve seen numerous posts from you regard Masson..are you related to the boy or something. Mishandled by IM by ‘stuffing him on the bench’ but expect he’ll be picked up by a part time league two team to play with the joiners and fishmongers.

For things to be concerned about or querying…Masson getting game time ain’t it. 

Nope, not related. I simply think he showed well in a number of opportunities the last few years, and yet never got either a loan or more opportunity. At the end of last year, he declined to sign with the Rovers, he said due to lack of a loan or playing time despite his requests. He was convinced to sign a little later, and has rotted on the bench since, which I find confusing. Why would IM want him re-signed, and then having signed Watson/Murray/Corr, not seek a loan, especially as IM then went on to use McGill, Brown and Dick as makeshift FB’s/CB’s rather than playing Adam.

IM obviously at one time considered him a potential future player, or he wouldn’t have pursued him to re-sign, yet he then does exactly the opposite of what he knows the player wants and needs. We can talk close games and no chance, but getting an average of 3.5 minutes a game over a 21 game period, where midfielders are selected at CB in front of you, isn’t how you grow a player or make them want to stay with the club. I think there is a very good player there, and we’re strangling his growth as a player because “depth”. The way he’s been used belays that argument.

As for what I’m upset about, it’s the neglect of our defence versus a more than fully stocked midfield. When Corr was out, Masson as  cover made sense, with Corr back Masson hasn’t had a sniff, so why was no loan arranged? That’s how you develop a young player and see what you have, and IM has been happy to loan Arnott, Mitchell and McNeil.

For all those expecting training compensation for Masson if he leaves, remember we have to offer a new contract before the end of the season, worth at least the same as current…so for all of the people saying he can’t do the job here, do we keep a chance of a small payment and risk a wage bill for another year with a potentially disgruntled young player, or just let him go?

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

There were statements that we were intending to, but there was a comment a little while back suggesting we weren’t going to get it organised for next year.

Nope, not related. I simply think he showed well in a number of opportunities the last few years, and yet never got either a loan or more opportunity. At the end of last year, he declined to sign with the Rovers, he said due to lack of a loan or playing time despite his requests. He was convinced to sign a little later, and has rotted on the bench since, which I find confusing. Why would IM want him re-signed, and then having signed Watson/Murray/Corr, not seek a loan, especially as IM then went on to use McGill, Brown and Dick as makeshift FB’s/CB’s rather than playing Adam.

IM obviously at one time considered him a potential future player, or he wouldn’t have pursued him to re-sign, yet he then does exactly the opposite of what he knows the player wants and needs. We can talk close games and no chance, but getting an average of 3.5 minutes a game over a 21 game period, where midfielders are selected at CB in front of you, isn’t how you grow a player or make them want to stay with the club. I think there is a very good player there, and we’re strangling his growth as a player because “depth”. The way he’s been used belays that argument.

As for what I’m upset about, it’s the neglect of our defence versus a more than fully stocked midfield. When Corr was out, Masson as  cover made sense, with Corr back Masson hasn’t had a sniff, so why was no loan arranged? That’s how you develop a young player and see what you have, and IM has been happy to loan Arnott, Mitchell and McNeil.

For all those expecting training compensation for Masson if he leaves, remember we have to offer a new contract before the end of the season, worth at least the same as current…so for all of the people saying he can’t do the job here, do we keep a chance of a small payment and risk a wage bill for another year with a potentially disgruntled young player, or just let him go?

Tx, seriously I don’t mean to be a dick, but give it a fucking rest. 

“A very good player” based on what? He’s literally hardly played for us. Maybe he has had loan offers. Maybe none have suited or guaranteed game time. None of this we’ll know unless the player himself communicates this.

As Grumswall has said previously, Mitchell is out at East Fife and hardly manages to get minutes. Arnott I’m not entirely sure as I haven’t really followed his progress.