The New Raith Rovers Thread

Poor from us today but I think we still concede from crosses with a centre half on the pitch, whether it was Murray or Corr. Our main issue again was creating enough good chances and taking those that came to us. Again poor choices in the box got the better of us. 

Totally agree. If Murray is fit enough for the bench he should be fit enough to start. Still no Watson even though he played 45 mins during the week. Corr who played last week can't get into the team ahead of 3 players none of which are centre halfs. If Corr or Masson can't be trusted or not good enough let's get rid and sign a couple that are fit and better than what we have. Every week same old story, we hardly ever keep a clean sheet.

Our balance in the squad is so wrong. Plenty nice midfielders and wide players that lack out and out pace, no cover at the back and no 2nd option to play at number 9.

Defensive recruitment was poor in the summer and now it's really biting us in the arse. 

Watson has played by my reckoning no more than 6 league games. 

Corr has featured in what 3 league games? 

Murray looks a shadow of himself at the minute, when he has aged he isn't dominating in the way you would expect. 

We did not sign any experienced fullbacks. 

Masson as discussed at length isn't going to get a game. 

Hannah isnt ready. 

O'Reilly helped with some of these short falls in his brief spell but the club were never going to yield to his demands. 

I'm guessing we have/had someone lined up but it was dependent on getting past that mob today. 

Out of these three games, this was the one I would have been least upset about losing.  The game against ICT is in the league so need to get things back on track there.  The Airdrie game, not so much for the cup, but losing to them again could play into the next league game against them mentally.

Hopefully we go with the idea of actual defenders playing in their proper positions next week.  I get Murray’s idea about wanting his forward thinking players on the pitch and it was working when earlier in the season.  The defence was still making mistakes but the attackers were bailing them out.  Now we’re not taking our chances as much so we need the defence to bail the attackers out, but there is no defence to do that.

Can understand the thought process of not playing Watson and Murray today though, the league is the important thing so an extra week of recovery is probably better for them.

10 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Totally agree. If Murray is fit enough for the bench he should be fit enough to start. Still no Watson even though he played 45 mins during the week. Corr who played last week can't get into the team ahead of 3 players none of which are centre halfs. If Corr or Masson can't be trusted or not good enough let's get rid and sign a couple that are fit and better than what we have. Every week same old story, we hardly ever keep a clean sheet.

Our balance in the squad is so wrong. Plenty nice midfielders and wide players that lack out and out pace, no cover at the back and no 2nd option to play at number 9.

They are certainly good enough - going from what we saw last week but IM prefers “experience” 

totally agree with letting them get experience elsewhere. If they do well come back next season

If we aspire to progress out of our current league, then this is the type of game we have to be winning.

I accept we played against huge defenders and midfield players. but we have to stop being so naive with our forward passing game plan.  I also accept some of our forward players were again naive when making decisions in the opposition box.  How many passes in the box should have been shots.  How many shots should have been passes?

Smith is fast and also clever but recently he has missed so many chances.  To be honest I genuinely think we sold a better forward to Bonness today.  Mitchell has a far better eye for goal.

Watson, Murray, Matthews etc have all featured on the bench in order to give the illusion we could bring them on. That doesn't mean they have been fit enough to play. It's nothing more than mind games. Being fit enough to "ride the pine" doesn't mean you're fit enough to go and actually play.

We lost to a premiership team today while playing 3 atb, none of which are actually best at that role. It is what it is. We do need to get at a minimum 2 defenders in Imo. A strong commanding cb and a lb who can get up and down while being able to actually stop a cross. Those two signings will improve our defence massively with Watson and Murray due back at some time in the next 18 months. 

1 minute ago, grumswall said:

Watson, Murray, Matthews etc have all featured on the bench in order to give the illusion we could bring them on. That doesn't mean they have been fit enough to play. It's nothing more than mind games. Being fit enough to "ride the pine" doesn't mean you're fit enough to go and actually play.

We lost to a premiership team today while playing 3 atb, none of which are actually best at that role. It is what it is. We do need to get at a minimum 2 defenders in Imo. A strong commanding cb and a lb who can get up and down while being able to actually stop a cross. Those two signings will improve our defence massively with Watson and Murray due back at some time in the next 18 months. 

Murray said he'll sign a centre half OR a full back. Not both. 

9 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Murray said he'll sign a centre half OR a full back. Not both. 

Were not going to win any play offs, were safe from relegation, let him start building for next season and alternate playing Corr and Masson   

Just now, SirJimmyofNic said:

Were not going to win any play offs, were safe from relegation, let him start building for next season and alternate playing Corr and Masson   

Why both are likely to be away in the summer.

2 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

This is the second most mental take...

17 minutes ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

If we aspire to progress out of our current league, then this is the type of game we have to be winning.

I accept we played against huge defenders and midfield players. but we have to stop being so naive with our forward passing game plan.  I also accept some of our forward players were again naive when making decisions in the opposition box.  How many passes in the box should have been shots.  How many shots should have been passes?

Smith is fast and also clever but recently he has missed so many chances.  To be honest I genuinely think we sold a better forward to Bonness today.  Mitchell has a far better eye for goal.

... after this.

4 minutes ago, Raith25 said:

Whoever came to todays game with Aaron Hickman, please don’t bring that beast back 

Is that the east Fife fan who seems to post on anything rovers related these days? If not, who is it? 

1 minute ago, grumswall said:

Is that the east Fife fan who seems to post on anything rovers related these days? If not, who is it? 

Please dont say it was the beast who tried to r*PE two young girls?! 🤬