The New Raith Rovers Thread

Brown has been a steady enough replacement for millen but neither are particularly good. With everyone fit dick and brown are the weak points in our squad. Before Brown it was millen and dick. I'd hope we can improve upon them for next season regardless of what league we're in. I actually thought yesterday was browns best game for us so far. I would not sign him permanently though. He just isn't good enough for a team that wants to be in the premiership but is a fine stop gap for now. 

I'd be prepared to keep Brown as cover no matter what league we're in. Don't want to go in to next season struggling for bodies in defence again. Hopefully Matthews gets an extension as I think we need his dig, he doesn't shirk from a tackle either 

30 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Brown has been a steady enough replacement for millen but neither are particularly good. With everyone fit dick and brown are the weak points in our squad. Before Brown it was millen and dick. I'd hope we can improve upon them for next season regardless of what league we're in. I actually thought yesterday was browns best game for us so far. I would not sign him permanently though. He just isn't good enough for a team that wants to be in the premiership but is a fine stop gap for now. 

I thought Dick had a good game yesterday. Good in the air and some good forward distribution.  

2 hours ago, stevoraith said:

Excellent point about Airdrie- psychologically it’s massively important that we can find a way to overcome them ahead of a potential play-off. 

Regarding Ross Matthews- there was a point in the season where I didn’t think we really needed him. We had loads of options in midfield and between Byrne, Brown and Stanton we had all the jobs that Matthews can do covered. 
But since he’s come back in to the starting line up I’ve been proven totally wrong. 
He’s not flashy, and his impact could quite easily go unnoticed but for me he’s becoming one of the first names on the team sheet again. Probably man of the match for me yesterday, he just seemed to be everywhere. 

I’d build a team around him and Stanton. 

This. Matthews has been excellent since he got back in. Allows Sir Sam to go forward as well. Every team needs someone who isn't showy but allows the flair players the platform to do their thing. That's Rossco.

4 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

I thought Dick had a good game yesterday. Good in the air and some good forward distribution.  

I did aswell but he is one of the weaker players in the team. 

4 hours ago, Langtounlaud said:

I'd be prepared to keep Brown as cover no matter what league we're in. Don't want to go in to next season struggling for bodies in defence again. Hopefully Matthews gets an extension as I think we need his dig, he doesn't shirk from a tackle either 

I think James Brown has been more than dependable this season. He certainly hasn't set the world alight, but has done exactly what we need him to do. The question though is - will he develop? I'm not overly convinced he would. I think that no matter what happens at the end of this season our defence needs work.. there will be a few players out of contract that could be within our reach - Lewis Stevenson and Jason Kerr being examples.

When James Brown signed, he certainly wasn't the defensive addition I was hoping for at the time. When the whole Ross Millen episode occurred however, I was mightily relieved.

Brown has barely set a foot wrong. He isn't an attacking full back - he literally told us as much in his interview when he joined. He's definitely improved the defensive side of things though, which is essentially what he's being paid to do.

Aye, you can get into debate about how him playing on the right flank impacts the likes of Connolly negatively but it's all semantics at this point. He's the best realistic option available to play, by some distance (don't bother talking about Matthews or McGill playing there for the remainder of the season, even at this stage).

I don’t think Brown is anything to do with Connolly playing badly. He wasn’t very effective when Millen was in the side too.

The one that’s interesting just now is Vaughan. We look a lot better with the 4231 and that leaves him out of the side. He’s been pretty ineffective for a while too which I never thought I’d hear myself say!

Is it just me but as we reach the end of the season just 5 games to two of them this week. I've been thinking about this season as a whole and I am fucking knackered the twists, turns, highs, lows, stupid defeats, last gasp winners and everything inbetween has taken it out of me and I don't think we're close to being done yet. 

So f**k knows how the players feel. 

Anyone else feeling it yet or are you all just clinging on with white knuckles. 

16 hours ago, Jilted John said:

The one that’s interesting just now is Vaughan. We look a lot better with the 4231 and that leaves him out of the side. He’s been pretty ineffective for a while too which I never thought I’d hear myself say!

I’d think about Vaughany off the left could work, especially with two sitters in Byrne and Matthews.

2 hours ago, ohnononowheredidRossgo said:

I’d think about Vaughany off the left could work, especially with two sitters in Byrne and Matthews.

Think Smith is ahead of Vaughan on the left these days.

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

When did Vaughan actually last play on the left? Feels like he did well there in about 2018. 

Im sure it was during Barry Smith’s first season. He played there and scored in a ridiculous amount of consecutive games before being injured. 

1 minute ago, Jilted John said:

Im sure it was during Barry Smith’s first season. He played there and scored in a ridiculous amount of consecutive games before being injured. 

Aye that’s what I'm getting at. His days of playing there are finished. Murray asks too much of his wingers going back the way.