The New Raith Rovers Thread

Lose on Friday and the pressure will be on. The board will be getting a lot of shit and the new man will not be getting a grace period. 

However win and I think things will settle down amongst the support. 

All this talk of new players is fine and we are short up front in particular. However regardless of who was appointed manager they need to get a tune out of this squad

32 minutes ago, ganainm85 said:

So much for a new manager bounce. Not a great start, regardless of competition. Capitulation there. Time to drop some of these first team players. 

You can't really 'drop some of these first team players' when you are playing just about the only 11 players we have fit.

If we have fully fit Brown, Murray, Fordyce, Hamilton, Vaughan and Stanton to chose from and we're still pish then your criticism would be valid.  Until then it doesn't make much sense.

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

No such "solution" to the forward issues as only Jack Hamilton is injured. 

This is very true. I’d also say we look to have wasted a loan bringing Jamieson in. He’s not the answer up top and we have plenty of cover in wide areas.

You can see the difference in threat posed by Ayr with two physical strikers up top. We just can’t get anything to stick.

Wasnt too bothered about the cup today, would have been great to get a win. However we have to remember we are missing 7 players all of which are probably starters when fit.

Hamilton, Vaughan, Stanton, Brown, Fordyce, Freeman and Murray. 

There's your back 3 there with Fordyce, Murray and Hanlon.

Add to that list potentially 3 new players we will have a starting 11 to compete against anyone in this league.

We definitely need someone up top, if we go with a back 4 then a right back and perhaps a right winger as I'm not convinced Connolly or Mullin create enough.

Game of two halves.. and 2 teams..jekyll and Hyde.. defence patchwork. Upfront..I've being saying it all season. We aren't good enough..too small..weak..slow ...older than most teams. Not looking great.. I'd also bring hannah back..we need an actual defender in there...we have not enough cover.. at least we scored from open play. We must be the only team to keep gifting goals and to get a 2 goal lead and blow it...threw it away last season too against arbroath and ayr.. Hardwork ahead for the manager and players too.. Not solid enough and not able to turn quickly at the back.. lost out to a quicker faster well drilled team I'm afraid..

Not concerned about going out of the cup and have no doubt that we’ll improve when the  bodies missing return, more worried about the mentality of the team long term. We seem to have lost that togetherness and are fragile as f**k when things start to go against us. We also constantly come out asleep after half-time and concede goals. Saw that again today. Handed Ayr an easy way back into the game. Then when we conceded the equaliser it was as if they thought ‘ah well we’ve f**ked it’ and were beaten mentally so we conceded again. Feels like there’s something not right in that dressing room. Time will tell if Collins can sort that, but can’t help feeling that sacking Murray has seriously derailed us. Not that in he was doing a brilliant job but it might have pissed away all the team spirit and feelgood from last year and  left us right back to square one. 

Edited by FitbaSupporter

5 minutes ago, FitbaSupporter said:

We also constantly come out asleep after half-time and concede goals. Saw that again today. 

When else has it happened? I don’t mind people being frustrated and having a moan but don’t make stuff up.

6 minutes ago, FitbaSupporter said:

Not concerned about going out of the cup and have no doubt that we’ll improve when the  bodies missing return, more worried about the mentality of the team long term. We seem to have lost that togetherness and are fragile as f**k when things start to go against us. We also constantly come out asleep after half-time and concede goals. Saw that again today. Handed Ayr an easy way back into the game. Then when we conceded the equaliser it was as if they thought ‘ah well we’ve f**ked it’ and were beaten mentally so we conceded again. Feels like there’s something not right in that dressing room. Time will tell if Collins can sort that, but can’t help feeling that sacking Murray has seriously derailed us. Not that in he was doing a brilliant job but it might have pissed away all the team spirit and feelgood from last year and  left us right back to square one. 

I have wondered if part of our issues are psychological. We spent half of last season giving away goals after half time and I think it all came to a head at Gayfield when we pissed away a 2 goal lead and let Arbroath who were poor that night back into it. 

23 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

When else has it happened? I don’t mind people being frustrated and having a moan but don’t make stuff up.

Just trawl through the stats from last season. Definitely not made up, there was chat on here about it and at one point someone worked out the percentage of the goals we’d conceded in the 15 minutes after half time which was stupidly high. It improved towards the end of the season I think but was definitely a problem.

5 minutes ago, FitbaSupporter said:

Just trawl through the stats from last season. Definitely not made up, there was chat on here about it and at one point someone worked out the percentage of the goals we’d conceded in the 15 minutes after half time which was stupidly high. It improved towards the end of the season I think but was definitely a problem.

Ah ok. I was referring to this season. 

Think we conceded in the first 10 minutes of the second half eight times last season in the league and playoffs, which sounds like a lot, but no idea if that's above average or not. When you look at the general timings of our goals last season though, our record was good in the first half, then absolutely hopeless from half time to 80 minutes, then exceptional for the last 10. 

Thought today felt like a greatest hits compilation of every single things that's held us back over the last few years, crowbarred into a 90 minute cup game. 

An injury list that means we start with a cobbled together defence, plenty of possession but nowhere near enough up top, criminal defending, and an early concession in the second half followed by a meek and utterly predictable capitulation. 

I thought for 30 minutes or so we looked pretty good and pressed Ayr really well, then it just seemed to stop. Whether that's because Ayr pulled themselves together or we just aren't fit enough to play like that I'm not sure, but United had enough chances in the first half to be a bit aggrieved at it being 2-0 at the interval. As for the second half, arguably as poor as we've been so far this season. 

I'd like to cling to the fact that we'll be better when injuries start to clear, but considering we've had a lengthy injury list for years, I'm struggling to get my hopes up too much. 

It's not easy listening to him talk. He slurs over words at such a rate that you really need to concentrate when he gets started. That apart I don't like his confidence in playing Matthews in a back three when he's never played there before.

26 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

It's not easy listening to him talk. He slurs over words at such a rate that you really need to concentrate when he gets started. That apart I don't like his confidence in playing Matthews in a back three when he's never played there before.

I was honestly coming here to offer my condolences over that voice.  

Nobody in Troon sounds like this so don't blame us :lol:

Outside that I thought you were generally better than the 2-0 recently, moved the ball about and unsettled us first half, Vaughan looked like Vaughan when he came on as well. 

I think it'll pick up soon. 

Edited by itzdrk

Just now, Nelson said:

That shirt/pullover combo is a harbinger of failure.

Lisp sweater man doesn't really come near Bald gilet man TBF.  

I really hope Brown is back soon as we are missing his grit in the middle of the pitch. Obviously missing Fordyce and Murray as well,  which if we had one of them today, would have freed up Matthews to play Brown's role. Once these guys are back, and a couple of loans in, I could see us climbing the table. Maybe not title contenders, but certainly promotion playoffs.