The New Raith Rovers Thread

If it makes you feel any better we got promoted with second division players too. At the present time we have no idea how the bulk of the squad will react to the step up - I'ts hard to quantise players as first, second or third division players, particularly with the schoolboy logic that accompanies such disccusions on the internet. Such logic would invariably involve a team trying to get out of the second division by signing players exclusively from the division above, or alternately dumping the entire promotion winning squad of 'second div players' to make way for acknowledged 'first div players'.

There are huge risks in our squad and none of us are really sure how they wil react, on the other hand we've splashed cash on big ( :lol: ) name players before and come up short. Really no point worrying now I guess.

I genuinely think Bryce will be quite a significant player for us this season...
My guess (and it is only that) is that the board are expecting a season at the arse end of the league to leave us with no appreciable upturn in gate receipts (especially as I'm expecting a few of the more senior players to have had promotion clauses giving them a pay rise). Or, they're taking the option to pay down the debt.

To be honest, I'm not unhappy with either of those.

If I was on the board ( :lol: ), I would go down this route, and then re assess the budget in January.

Dull as it is, I agree with everyone.

I dunno, there's something of the misanthrope about Whistleblower that I suspect would lead us to gloomy success. Which is maybe better than happy failure but it's not quite the dream.

My guess (and it is only that) is that the board are expecting a season at the arse end of the league to leave us with no appreciable upturn in gate receipts (especially as I'm expecting a few of the more senior players to have had promotion clauses giving them a pay rise). Or, they're taking the option to pay down the debt.

To be honest, I'm not unhappy with either of those.

We have been guilty of overspending the past couple of seasons and Jon Sim, if you remember (about Christmas time) was not too happy about it. Before we could kind of bend the budget knowing that the bank overdraft would be extended or soft loans would be obtained from directors. None of those avenues are open or welcome anymore.

The squad is probably not as bad as people are making out, Livi will probably start the season and I would imagine struggle badly, Morton, Ayr and Ross County have probably better squads than us but are not unbeatable and they will all struggle for consistency. Last years 1st Division was pretty tight and if this year's is the same then we might just be alright.

Bumper crowds in the first half of the season might allow us to strengthen later on, I think we got rid of most of the players we needed to from last season and as the end of August nears, bargains may be available as the SPL will no doubt slash their playing staff as if rumoured, reserve football is scrapped as a result of a reduced tv deal.

I was pissed of the whole "God thing". It was never ever ever about God, it was about trying to find a move to a bigger club.

I have to admit Ifelt a little cheesed off about it too. There's no way God told him to go there. It was simply the highest placed offer he received.

If I was on the board ( :lol: ), I would go down this route, and then re assess the budget in January.

Exactly what I think the board are going to do. Which I'm happy about.

Although the signings Rovers have made are probably fairly shite, I'm happy with the way the board are playing this. It's all about financial survival at this point in Rovers history and it's going to be like that for a long long time.

Edited by St. Starko

I dont think we are as badly off as many think.

Did i not read on the clubs website they had re-structured the stadium rental, into a 20 year loan which shows considerable savings. I dont know what last years budget was but it had to be against expected attendances of around 1600. We were well above that according to many.

Maybe this years expected attendances are deliberately low hence a small budget. To use this years expected income increase to reduce the overall debt is a good thing, but not at the risk of coming straight back down again.

Having said that, i dont think we are as weak as many suggest and may well surprise a few teams in Div.1 Providing that is we get at least one proven goalscorer

Edited by Numbers

I dont think we are as badly off as many think.

Did i not read on the clubs website they had re-structured the stadium rental, into a 20 year loan which shows considerable savings. I dont know what last years budget was but it had to be against expected attendances of around 1600. We were well above that according to many.

We averaged somewhere around 2200, IIRC. If we factor in the larger crowds for games against Dunfermline, Dundee etc, I'd expect this figure to rise slightly next year, maybe in the region of 2500-2700. That said, I do expect our home support to remain at around 1500ish for quite a few of the games, particularly if we're struggling pretty badly. The seasons average doesn't really paint the true picture, as the large crowds for derbys etc bump the figure up significantly.

It's good we've managed to get the loan in order, though. It's something we can most certainly do without.

Im have yet to make up my mind about how I should feel about the coming season, and with good reason too! However for the moment I am keeping a slightly positive outlook. This season's goal is survival. We obviously want to be in the first division next season but I think we would all rather have a club to support next season.

Ok, a bit of an over dramitisation but since Craig Levein came in I believe Raith Rovers have been making slow but steady progress. I think the most important signing we have made this season is our new reserve team. The youth we have may not be even close to the talent at clubs like Hibernian, Falkirk or the like, but under the right guidence we have have a reserve team capable of playing in the 1st in several season time. I hope McGlynn signs a few 'old-heads' maybe an experienced defender and/or forward one of which could take a player/coach role. A couple of experienced players playing prodominently in our reserves could be worth thier weight in gold. These players, whilst providing much needed back-up for the first team, would be able to teach our younger players so much.

When it comes to first team players, I wouldn't start panicing now. They may not be the most exciting of names but neither were Robert Sloan, David McGurn or even Craig Wilson. We also know while McGlynn is a well organised man who seems to like to prepair in advance for the coming season, he likes to play the waiting game when it comes to signing players. We, as Raith Rovers fans, were prased for our patience last season, so lets show that again and just relax! I am also convinced, for all you doubters, that we may see one 'bigger name' player sign this year, I have no insider info but for all the unknowns he has signed McGlynn has a habbit of pulling of the occational coop. I think we may see 4 more players come to us. Let wait for two things; a complete team and a team who have played a few league games before we start to even think about critising them and the manager.

I mentioned "survival" in my opening paragraph, this as I mentioned I view as being two things. One would be nice, one is essential. Just remember that folks! Lets us also celebrate the great work which happens in the teams below the first and behind closed doors.

Edited by Enigma

It is a bit shite seeing this Billy big time attitude rearing it's ugly head amongst some of our supporters.

The patience afforded to the team by the fans last season was a contributing factor in us ending up champions but now that we're up a division folk are expecting us to buy players outwith our budget?!

Administration is quite a fanciful idea eh? Fuck sake!

John McGlynn knows a player better than anyone on here and he's brought in players he obviously feels can do a job on what limited budget he has.

I can't help but think that the folk who have us relegated already are being a wee bit over the top without actually having witnessed the way that McGlynn will have this group of players playing.

I dont think anyone is panicking, yet, showing some concern, yes.

Most teams appear to have pretty much put there squad together, but we are missing three essential elements. A solid center back (Probably taken care of) and two out and out strikers.

I realise we will have to probably go down the loan road, which i am not too happy about. I see loan deals as quick fixes. Ok none of us know how The three present forwards will fair or how the two new signings will contribute, either with goals or assists.

At this time, i feel we will send out a platoon on match days armed with pea shooters instead of guns. But as you all say, time and a little patience may well tell, but time is running out.

It is a bit shite seeing this Billy big time attitude rearing it's ugly head amongst some of our supporters.

The patience afforded to the team by the fans last season was a contributing factor in us ending up champions but now that we're up a division folk are expecting us to buy players outwith our budget?!

Administration is quite a fanciful idea eh? f**k sake!

John McGlynn knows a player better than anyone on here and he's brought in players he obviously feels can do a job on what limited budget he has.

I can't help but think that the folk who have us relegated already are being a wee bit over the top without actually having witnessed the way that McGlynn will have this group of players playing.

No-one's suggesting we sign players outwith our budget. I (along with a few others) are a just a bit disappointed with the signings we have made.

Personally, I feel we've a very light squad. We've lost - Hislop, Wardlaw, Smith, Cook, Lumsden, Wales and Marv. In, we've got: Williamson, D. Smith and Tade. We have nowhere nearly adequately replaced what we've lost, which is a concern. We've lost 4 out and out strikers and replaced them a couple of guys, who although can play upfront, aren't really out and out strikers. On the face of it, you'd have expected: either more players in, or perhaps the same amount, but a slightly higher calibre. I could be wrong, but I don't see 3 wages totaling the same as 6 (I'll discount Marv since we tried to keep him). It does seem strange that the budget is cut despite the potential for higher gates and the fact the prices have went up. Maybe the budget has been cut to pay for the loan, I don't know, but it's had me wondering.

To take away from my negativity a bit, I'm glad Darren Smith has been brought in. He's the only one from the three who's genuinely impressed me when I've seen him play. I'm glad McGlynn has seen that the wide-left berth needs filled and brought him in. He can also play LB, which is handy if Ellis happens to get injured, or is required to play in the middle.

Edited to add: Look again at what we've lost: 4 strikers and 3 defenders. What have we got in? 3 wingers, one of whom will be played upfront. We're desperately short upfront and we need to get a defender in too.

Edited by Michael W

I realise we will have to probably go down the loan road, which i am not too happy about. I see loan deals as quick fixes. Ok none of us know how The three present forwards will fair or how the two new signings will contribute, either with goals or assists.

At this time, i feel we will send out a platoon on match days armed with pea shooters instead of guns. But as you all say, time and a little patience may well tell, but time is running out.

But loans potentially to have players of a higher caliber than we would normally attract! Quick fix you say? Kev Smith was with us all last season and if he has been a signed player with us he would most likely have been off this summer anyway, just because the have not signed a 3 year deal does not compramise the fact the will boulster our squad or put in any less effort. We should be taking this season as it comes, a couply of loanees will have no detrimental effect on the long term future of the club. I would rather have two young players with potential to play and a higher level busting agut to get noticed that two older haddies, the like we know all too well from past seasons.

Time is not running out, we have not even played a friendly!!! I would rather we evaluated all our options and maybe gave them a chance to play as a trailist before rushing into any hasty signings.

Loans are either hit or miss usually. For every Kevin Smith, we get a Denis McLaughlin etc. It has to be said, most our loanees under McGlynn have done well though. That said, I'd rather we weren't reliant upon them.

The first friendly is tomorrow. The first league game is in 4 weeks. During the interim period we have 4 other friendlies and 2 cup ties. The latter are competitive matches, which we need to win to progress and to help bolster the clubs finances, even if it was just a £1000 a game.

People seem to have forgotten or are ignoring the fact, the SPL have dumped there

reserve league, and they are dumping players too due to the expected drop of nearly £65 million from television rights. I just dont believe there will be that many clubs who will have players available for loans this year.

We all have to trust the managers expertise on this, i just hope he doesnt tread on too many banana skins on his chosen path.

Guest Spank the monkey

I don't find the fact that we have let more go than we have brought in so far playerwise of much relevance, IMHO all of the players who were let go were not good enough for the first division, i at least believe that Tade, Smith and Williamson are of better standard than Wardlaw, Silvestro and Hislop.

Yes we lost Wales, Marv, Cook and Smith all of whom would have done a job this season but we lost them to circumstances outwith our control. I'm positive McGlynn will bring in a couple of new faces/loanees before the season, with a view to re-assess the situation in January and sign what he feels we need to bolster our squad at that time.

I do agree that we still have a light squad at the moment and would like to see us bring in a defender and a striker at the very least but only if we can afford it. At the end of the day i don't mind if we finish second or second bottom, i think the division will be tight and as long as we show that we can compete against every team i'll be happy, i believe that we have the capability to beat any team in the division at starks park, so as long as we can work hard enough to become a difficult team to beat at home the results/points will come under McGlynn and we are in with a decent chance of staying up.

Question time: Was Mark Ferry signed on a two year deal? I really hope if he's our left winger this season, that he learns to run.

Question time: Was Mark Ferry signed on a two year deal? I really hope if he's our left winger this season, that he learns to run.

Yes, he was signed on a two year deal. He can't run but due to his other talents I've made peace with that.