The New Raith Rovers Thread

Best team to play against this season so far is Partick with the worst being Inverness, the only team we failed to beat.

Beat Ross County on Saturday and that'll be 9 pts we've taken from them this season.

Airdrie - W 1 - L 2 - D 1

Ayr - W 1 - L 1 - D 2

Dundee - W 1 - L 2 - D 1

Dunfermline - W 1 - L 3

Inverness - L 4

Morton - W 1 - L 2 - D 1

Partick - W 2 - D 2

QotS - W 2 - L 1 - D 1

Ross County - W 2 - L 1.......

Actually we drew twice with QoS, so that should read W1-D2-L1

Back page of the Press this week has got McGlynn stating that he has nearly done all of his intended business for next season already and only a few more things to sort out.

Good too see the club on the ball this time around, and this will be mainly due to the fact we are staying up and the cup run we've had.

Hopefully McGlynn has got something agreed to sort out our striking department...

Back page of the Press this week has got McGlynn stating that he has nearly done all of his intended business for next season already and only a few more things to sort out.

Good too see the club on the ball this time around, and this will be mainly due to the fact we are staying up and the cup run we've had.

Hopefully McGlynn has got something agreed to sort out our striking department...

Good to hear. Be interesting to see who we keep on for next season in terms of those out of contract. Hope we get Dave McGurn signed up as soon as possible.

Aye, doping Graham Weir most likely.

Still, it's good to know, stifles a bit of the excitement of wondering who we're gonna get if he ends announcing all the summer signings in one go though.

Is it me or do you think the likes of Sloan, Amaya, Shields and Gathuessi have played their last game for the club? Instead of playing them again last night to give them another chance of earning a contract...he dropped them all. Is Darren Smith on a two year deal? If not...then maybe he could be away as well.

Maybe I'm just clutching at straws..I appreciate that 4 of them above all started on Monday night but 2 of them came off in the 2nd half. All 4 haven't really played regularly this season anyway.

I think Weir might be away as well to be honest. Scoring no goals doesn't quite help his cause. I know he's been injured, but maybe they could negotiate with him and terminate his contract. I'd do it anyway. If the rumours are true about John Baird, then what's the point in having Baird and Weir, when Baird is younger, fitter, has a better touch and of course has found the net 13 times this season. Just my opinions and thoughts though. Fell free to shoot me down. :D

After saying this, all 4 above will probably play on Saturday... :lol:

Is it me or do you think the likes of Sloan, Amaya, Shields and Gathuessi have played their last game for the club? Instead of playing them again last night to give them another chance of earning a contract...he dropped them all. Is Darren Smith on a two year deal? If not...then maybe he could be away as well.

Maybe I'm just clutching at straws..I appreciate that 4 of them above all started on Monday night but 2 of them came off in the 2nd half. All 4 haven't really played regularly this season anyway.

I think Weir might be away as well to be honest. Scoring no goals doesn't quite help his cause. I know he's been injured, but maybe they could negotiate with him and terminate his contract. I'd do it anyway. If the rumours are true about John Baird, then what's the point in having Baird and Weir, when Baird is younger, fitter, has a better touch and of course has found the net 13 times this season. Just my opinions and thoughts though. Fell free to shoot me down. :D

After saying this, all 4 above will probably play on Saturday... :lol:

Of the four you mention I'd be most sympathetic toward Shields getting another chance, he has great technique and I feel that after having not played football for the better part of a year hasn't really had a proper chance to shine. I'd like to see him get invited back for pre season, get a couple of friendlies under his belt and then see if he's worht pursuing.

Edited by renton

Of the four you mention I'd be most sympathetic toward Shields getting another chance, he has great technique and I feel that after having not played football for the better part of a year hasn't really had a proper chance to shine. I'd like to see him get invited back for pre season, get a couple of friendlies under his belt and then see if he's worht pursuing.

I'd invite Shields back as well. He still has something to offer I think. I think the other 3 might be away though. Just have see what happens I suppose.

Have to say, I've not been overly impressed with Armstrong. Wouldn't be at all disappointed to see him go.

I'd like to see Amaya stay on, but that's based on very limited viewing. In fact, it's pretty much based on his goal against Airdrie.

I would hope he'll at least be invited back for pre-season, and we can see how he gets on then.

It sounds like John McGlynn has pretty much already made up his mind on most of the squad, though.

As long as we have McGurn, Campbell, Wilson, Ellis, Murray, Hill, Walker and Tade, we should be fine next season.

So we're looking at:

GK: McGurn

RB: Wilson

CB: Campbell

CB: Hill/Murray

LB: Ellis

RM: Tade

CM: Walker

CM:---------- (Colin Cameron)

LM:----------

ST: ---------- (John Baird)

ST: ----------

Of course, in reality it will be Walker at Rm to accommodate Simmons and Davidson in the middle aswell as Tade up front, but we'll overlook at the moment. In my opinion we are four good players from a mid table side.

I've put two in brackets who are almost certainties to be here next season.

Edited by Kutski

Totally useless factoid that my mate told me last night: as of last night, that was the 18th different back four starting combination we've used this season. The longest run of any back four combination was 5 games.....

Edited by renton

Yeah, I don't think we're far from having a decent side either. If we can keep hold of our better players, hopefully we'll be looking at an improvement on this season.

McGurn

Wilson

Ellis

Campbell

Murray / Hill

Tadé

Walker

Simmons / New CM

New LM / Darren Smith

New ST

New ST

Our defence is fine, something which I've said all along. I know we recently had a wee shaky patch in defence, but that was really down to some appalling luck with injuries. Dougie Hill has had a fantastic season, and I think it speaks volumes that I'm struggling to see him as a first pick in that defence. He's improved as the season's went on to - he seems less rash, which I think could be put down to the influence of Grant Murray. He'll have learned a lot from him and Campbell, which is always good granted they're both getting on a bit.

I'd like to see Tadé started on the right next season. I think we can all agree that he isn't a striker, and I think he could offer us a lot from wide right. He can beat players, so could get in behind the full back, cut inside and play the ball across goal. If he was playing there, he's have to work on his crossing, though. Walker has been our best midfielder and deserves his place in the middle. I'd probably partner him with Simmons, who is a very handy player to have when he's on form. That said, I wouldn't be averse to bringing someone else in, as Simmons can be hit or miss at times. Out left, Darren Smith hasn't featured as much as I thought he would. He had a really good start to the season, but otherwise seems short of confidence. He seems to run to the by line, and looks reluctant to take players on. It'd be worth looking at getting someone else in.

Up front is where the changes are really needed. There's the Baird rumours, but we need someone else in as well, even if these rumours turn out true. I'm inclined to say this rumour is more than likely true, though. It was good and well getting in Casa and Kevin Smith to fill the gaps last season, but I hope McGlynn will look for a permanent, rather than temporary solution this time around.

Totally useless factoid that my mate told me last night: as of last night, that was the 18th different back four starting combination we've used this season. The longest run of any back four combination was 5 games.....

far too much time on his hands....

hope we keep Amaya tbh could be a handy player to have and hasnt been given a fair run in team, hope we keep Smith as well

Cracking effort. Grant Murray has been Mr reliable for us this season regardless where he played plus he's chipped in with 3 goals. Where did this Baird rumour come from? Been impressed whenever i've seen him this season so could be a decent addition.

I can't help feeling that the Mark Campbell "story" is starting to look more and more like the plot of The Six Million Dollar Man.

A man, an astronaut enormous centre back, cut down in his prime by a devastating air car crash, leaving him "barely alive".

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Mark Campbell will be that man. We can make him better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster."

I can't wait for next season.