The New Raith Rovers Thread

Can't say I'm overly excited at the signing of Graham but like everyone else he'll be given a fair chance to show us all what he can bring to the team. Welcome etc.

Baird is a worry. The only consolation I suppose is we need to receive money for him, and not many teams can provide that. Dunfermline shouldn't be able to but of course we all know they spend anyway. St Johnstone and St Mirren could probably stretch to £30k or so, that apart I don't see anyone who could take him.

I'm going to assume that if Baird does go we'll be allowed to replace him. Two signings to go, three if Baird leaves.

Happy days...

Going by the last page of this thread Raith Rovers are hardly in a position to have a go at clubs for spending money they don't have...

Going by the last page of this thread Raith Rovers are hardly in a position to have a go at clubs for spending money they don't have...

Just as well I recently stepped down from my position as Financial Manager of Raith Rovers FC then.

Didn't think he was that great against us last season but one thing in his favour is having a manager that will develop his game. That is the reality of the situation we are in - we can't now afford established strikers at this level.

Edited by pantene proV

Didn't think he was that great against us last season but one thing in his favour is having a manager that will develop his game. That is the reality of the situation we are in - we can't now afford established strikers at this level.

Not exactly much has changed in recent times then :lol:

Well, this season's starting to look interesting. The evolution that McGlynn has been carrying out on the squad seems to have been blown out of the water by budget cuts and players hankering for a step up. Sad to see but neither are unexpected.

Ho hum, good luck to the departing and these aren't set backs but rather welcome challenges etc.

Well, this season's starting to look interesting. The evolution that McGlynn has been carrying out on the squad seems to have been blown out of the water by budget cuts and players hankering for a step up. Sad to see but neither are unexpected.

Ho hum, good luck to the departing and these aren't set backs but rather welcome challenges etc.

Id be a bit happier if i knew we had a couple of good prospects coming through who we could blood in the team...

Just as well I recently stepped down from my position as Financial Manager of Raith Rovers FC then.

Good job indeed :P

Out of interest why did Rovers release Wilson? it's not like there's many good right backs going about at the minute :unsure:

Good job indeed :P

Out of interest why did Rovers release Wilson? it's not like there's many good right backs going about at the minute :unsure:

Out of contract, fancies a step up, probably a high earner. I'm imagining all of those have influenced his decision and the degree to which the club tried to keep him.

Bit gutted personally, he's had an average season but he's done a hell of a job for us over the years.

Out of contract, fancies a step up, probably a high earner. I'm imagining all of those have influenced his decision and the degree to which the club tried to keep him.

Bit gutted personally, he's had an average season but he's done a hell of a job for us over the years.

keeping the back line than had that fantastic defensive record pre xmas would of been a bonus as well

I don't think Wilson has went through choice, my suspicion is that he's received a better offer elsewhere. Either that, or he's went because we need to cut the squad size and he's been sacrificed because he can only play one position.

I'm disappointed Baird wants to leave, but I'm not overly surprised. That now means we're going to bring in a replacement. As it is, I'm underwhelmed with the arrival of Brian Graham, so it remains to be seen who'll come in to replace Baird when he goes.

Presuming Baird goes, that'll take us to 5 regular starter leaving - that's the most concerning thing of all. McGlynn's been excellent in his time here, but by god he's really up against it now. 10 first teamers left, and I'd imagine we'll add another 3 at best. Minus Baird, that leaves us with a squad of 12. Happy fucking days.

I don't think Wilson has went through choice, my suspicion is that he's received a better offer elsewhere. Either that, or he's went because we need to cut the squad size and he's been sacrificed because he can only play one position.

I'm disappointed Baird wants to leave, but I'm not overly surprised. That now means we're going to bring in a replacement. As it is, I'm underwhelmed with the arrival of Brian Graham, so it remains to be seen who'll come in to replace Baird when he goes.

Presuming Baird goes, that'll take us to 5 regular starter leaving - that's the most concerning thing of all. McGlynn's been excellent in his time here, but by god he's really up against it now. 10 first teamers left, and I'd imagine we'll add another 3 at best. Minus Baird, that leaves us with a squad of 12. Happy fucking days.

I suspect it's because he wants to go and the club can't afford to try and change his mind. Which is a shame but understandable. I suspect Baird will leave as well but the cash we get for him will not have been budgeted so hopefuly will be used to add a player or two. Of course, it may end up going to the bank but we can hope that's not necessary in the short term.

At the moment, we need a striker, a right footed centre half and a centre mid. We'll probably need a second striker to repalce Baird. 4 senior players has to be the goal and if they have to be recruited from the Second Div. then so be it. Anything more than that is a bonus that the budget probably can't stretch to.

Disappointed with Bairdys comments to be honest, not the kind of stuff you want to hear contracted Players saying.

Baird is player of the year for the league and his performances have spoken for themselves, there's no need to go touting himself to the press.

Catch 22 for us. Yeah, we are skint and need the money. However, a guy like Baird could mean the difference between mid table and a relegation scrap. And good lord we don't want that.

At the moment, we need a striker, a right footed centre half and a centre mid. We'll probably need a second striker to repalce Baird. 4 senior players has to be the goal and if they have to be recruited from the Second Div. then so be it. Anything more than that is a bonus that the budget probably can't stretch to.

We'll need two strikers if Baird leaves. I'm not so sure about the Right footed CB, but we definitely need a new right back. Murray will be 37 next year I think, so I'd rather he was in the middle where he's most effective. We have Ellis & Hill to compete for the slot there, and Davidson can play there in an emergency. Unfortunately, I can foresee this 'emergency' occurring a few times next season, as Ellis and Hill are quite prone to injury.

We badly need a CM, and in an ideal world we'd bring in two (particularly if one of those could play on the right or left). We've lost two in Ferry & Simmons, and I suppose with Kevin McBride's departure you could argue three.

It's going to be very tight next season, particularly given we're going to have a squad of 12 or 13. I hope we get lucky and manage to find a couple of youngsters from our youth team that aren't too bad.

Top signing. Give the lad a chance.

We'll need two strikers if Baird leaves. I'm not so sure about the Right footed CB, but we definitely need a new right back. Murray will be 37 next year I think, so I'd rather he was in the middle where he's most effective. We have Ellis & Hill to compete for the slot there, and Davidson can play there in an emergency. Unfortunately, I can foresee this 'emergency' occurring a few times next season, as Ellis and Hill are quite prone to injury.

We badly need a CM, and in an ideal world we'd bring in two (particularly if one of those could play on the right or left). We've lost two in Ferry & Simmons, and I suppose with Kevin McBride's departure you could argue three.

It's going to be very tight next season, particularly given we're going to have a squad of 12 or 13. I hope we get lucky and manage to find a couple of youngsters from our youth team that aren't too bad.

Stewart Kean is in discussions...sorted.

Top signing. Give the lad a chance.

:lol: Our fans giving someone a chance. The only reason Tade was given any leeway was because of his first goal against East Fife, and even then there were doubted. Scott McBride is probably the best example. The lad might not be the best footballer, but his debut against Cowdenbeath was greeted by ironic cheers by morons when he went off after recieving boos for the best part of the game.

Ach, c'mon, that's not funny!

Graham WILL be given a chance. However, my expectations are low based on my viewings of him. Considering he hasn't done anything of note and has looked generally poor, I can hardly be expected to be farting rainbows about his arrival.

Edited by Michael W

:lol: Our fans giving someone a chance. The only reason Tade was given any leeway was because of his first goal against East Fife, and even then there were doubted. Scott McBride is probably the best example. The lad might not be the best footballer, but his debut against Cowdenbeath was greeted by ironic cheers by morons when he went off after recieving boos for the best part of the game.

Big Brian gets a bit touchy with the fans giving him a hard time. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on.

My point about the right footed centre half was based on my assumption that Murray will play right back for most of the season. Certainly we need either a right back or a right footed centre half. I guess that'll depend on the options available to McGlynn. Again, a centre mid of some point is not negotiable and I'd like 2 if possible as well.

The replacement for Tadé appears to be Graham. Tadé seemed a poor signing at the time as well who had suffered succesive relegations from different leagues - including this one. And whilst I'm underwhelmed as much as you, I reckon Graham could be decent with good management.

Baird's replacement should be funded by the wage loss and perhaps part of the cash we get for him and I'd hope McGlynn has an eye on a couple of strikers that he wants.