The New Raith Rovers Thread

Loving this John McGlynn is a hard worker, its like the keepers a good shot stopper, the boy has a good engine, blah blah blah

I'd rather than someone who was good than a hard worker.

Mr Blower your surgeon today has a 50% success rate, but he's a hard worker, and he's media friendly, eh no thanks give me the lazy arrogant surgeon with a better success rate please.

I doubt McGlynn will be sacked, he will see out his contract and it will not be renewed, I can imagine the ill informed press going nuts about us sacking last years manager of the year.

I remember posting on here that last season was like the 80/1 season, this has turned out to be a car crash like 81/2 hopefully with the same ending, as in avoiding relegation, not as in giving the manager another year.

That's not really the point I was making. He's not fiddling while Rome burns, you can better your bottom dollar that he's spending all the time in the world working through these problems. He's not perfect, and of course I'd rather have a lazy manager who finishes first than a hard working one who finishes second, but we don't have The Good Lazy Manager chapping the door waiting to take over the job.

On a separate, but related, note, I can't help feeling that John McGlynn would get a little more slack if he was more "media-friendly". People aren't hearing or seeing much from him (it is rather annoying that when we do hear from him it's the same three or four soundbites) and it makes it easy to think that he's out of ideas or he hasn't got a plan to go forward, because he's not going on about it every Tuesday night on Sportsound. Personally, I'm much happier that he keeps himself to himself, because I know that rather than commentating on Hearts versus St Johnstone he's off watching Ayr United or taking the Reserves through a game.

John McGlynn has several failings. He's not the perfect manager. With what he had last year, he did the best of any manager in Scotland. This season he's much closer to the bottom than the top, but he's still the best man for the job, in my opinion. I'm genuinely interested to hear who people would like to succeed him, particularly with an eye on the medium to long term.

I'd like us to take a chance on a first time manager next season (assuming McGlynn doesn't do enough to warrant a reprieve) and I think that's what we will do. It'll probably be all we can afford in any case. Is Craig Ireland still in charge of the under 19s? If so, maybe he'd be a candidate. Otherwise it'll be a player at the end of their career eg Grant Murray if we're looking to promote someone from within.

Quite aside from managerial stuff, we have four absolutely massive matches in the next four weeks. Not only season defining, but surely given the way our finances would go were we to go down decade defining. No man is bigger than the club and given it's highly unlikely there'll be any change in management I'd say we're as well forgetting about it.

Three of the four matches are at home, and while for obvious reasons the South Stand won't be full it's no use getting on the teams back. They're not in this situation on purpose. We absolutely have to win two or three of these matches at a minimum, and probably can't afford to lose to Queens or Ayr. Let's stick with them, and I have to say despite our diabolical season the support from my experience has generally been nothing other than encouraging, and try to cheer the team onto a few wins. By Christ do we need them.

That's not really the point I was making. He's not fiddling while Rome burns, you can better your bottom dollar that he's spending all the time in the world working through these problems. He's not perfect, and of course I'd rather have a lazy manager who finishes first than a hard working one who finishes second, but we don't have The Good Lazy Manager chapping the door waiting to take over the job.

14 months of working hard through these problems, but changing nothing, rewarding poor performance rather than dealing with it, and constantly going backwards.

I'd rather he'd worked a little less hard but a lot more smart.

I'd like us to take a chance on a first time manager next season (assuming McGlynn doesn't do enough to warrant a reprieve) and I think that's what we will do. It'll probably be all we can afford in any case. Is Craig Ireland still in charge of the under 19s? If so, maybe he'd be a candidate. Otherwise it'll be a player at the end of their career eg Grant Murray if we're looking to promote someone from within.

I think he could be the sensible choice. We may have to rely on our youths more in the coming season. He already knows those players and has them top of a league.

How many managers are "lazy" though? someone made the point of when people say keepers are good shot stoppers, and I would say he has it bang on, at this level near enough all keepers are good "shot stoppers" similarly near enough all the managers are "hard workers". In the end there is far more to the job than just working hard.

I don't think there's any prospect of the board sacking McGlynn. They'll take the view that he's achieved x and y and he'll see out the season. most likely.

My own views towards McGlynn are ambivalent: I appreciate what he's achieved in his time, but we have been utterly rancid for the entire season and I'm sick of it. He has been completely unable to turn things around, employs the same personnel regardless of form and has been unable to sort of the mistakes that are our undoing time and time again (in particular, set pieces).

If we do down, there's absolutely no way I'd renew his contract. We've been rotten and the defining hallmarks of McGlynn's reign - perseverance, hard work, solidity, discipline, determination - have all been absent this season. We've never been good to watch under McGlynn, but we got results through the characteristics that I outlined. That hasn't been there this season and we've suffered accordingly.

Even if we stay up, I think I'd let McGlynn leave. I think it's in the interests of both parties: McGlynn has taken us as far as he can, and we're stagnating pretty badly.

We really, really have to take a couple of wins from our next four matches. In particular, the Ayr and QoS games are ones we simply cannot afford to lose. If we are able to win two of our next four, I would be very happy if it were these two that we could do it in.

Too much doom and gloom already. Lets just accept that we are all in it together until the end of the season. Get behind the manager and team and hope for the best. We've got 3 out of our next 4 games at home and we play QoS and Ayr. If we make a c**t of the next 4 games then I'll start to worry as there'll be more than 1 point in it.

Edited by Scary Bear

I'm going for 2 draws and 2 defeats. Relegation here we come, choo choo. Look guy's we've given up the ghost already.

You've given up the ghost, you mean.

Not all of us lose faith quite so easily.

This is the worst we've been in years, aye, but we're still well in the hunt for survival.

Guys, look, you're forgetting the Brian Reid factor, he'll make sure Raith stay up, 1 win in 10 in the league is hardly going to save us, relax.

Snap!

Queen of the South, for their part, have won one of their last nine.

As you'd expect from a relegation battle, none of us are great shakes. The games between the three sides will almost certainly decide the order of the bottom three, with each side probably scraping about 4 or 5 points in total from their other games.

This is the worst we've been in years, aye, but we're still well in the hunt for survival.

^^^ This,

the one thing that gives me hope is that, despite how utterly pish we have been this season, we are still not cut off at the bottom of the league,

we are still right in there fighting with Queens & Ayr,

Strap yourselves in folks, its gonna be a bumpy ride!

1329992405[/url]' post='5995586']

1329995771[/url]' post='5995672']

^^^ This,

the one thing that gives me hope is that, despite how utterly pish we have been this season, we are still not cut off at the bottom of the league,

we are still right in there fighting with Queens & Ayr,

Strap yourselves in folks, its gonna be a bumpy ride!

This is mt thinking too.

I'm going to back the team right til the end.

I believe.