The New Raith Rovers Thread

In todays Daily Record that Dundee Utd and Partick are trying to sign Graham.

I'd say Utd may be too big a jump up for him, but Partick would be a decent move, IMO.

Not sure how real the Dundee United link is - has that whole linked with Thistle > ex-Thistle manager at United > he must be interested too, after all he's already signed a couple of Thistle players logic to it. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd already signed a pre-con for Thistle regardless (are they still worth the paper they are written on?)

Hoping the next few weeks we get existing players tied down, Id like to keep our youth players and also the Andersons, Walker can be a good player on his day but has only had one good full season and shouldnt be our captain id give it to Laurie

Hoping the next few weeks we get existing players tied down, Id like to keep our youth players and also the Andersons, Walker can be a good player on his day but has only had one good full season and shouldnt be our captain id give it to Laurie

Appreciate your sentiments but would you really want to get them ALL "tied down", even if we could afford it?

This coming season, particularly with the inclusion of Dundee and QoTS, will be a lot harder and TBH I think we need to replace a number of our players, some just won't have the pace required IMO.

Edited by Wee Sandy

Half our squad are so slow it looks lke they have been tied down all season.

Ellis is past it as a player. We need to get rid of the players who's first instinct is to swing a foot through the ball and blooter it as far up the pitch as possible. Ellis sadly does this 90% of the time. This style is part of our problem that is putting off fans.

If we keep players like Walker what message does this send out to the fans and young players. Walker has had some utterly rotten games but never gets dropped, rarely ever even subbed.

If Murray is staying at the helm then he needs to stamp his authority on the team. He will be judged more critically next year when the squad is 100% his. If he decides to keep his favourites and they don't perform then he is at risk of disallusioning even more fans and shrinking our fanbase even more.

Edited by graeme_p

Half our squad are so slow it looks lke they have been tied down all season.

Ellis is past it as a player. We need to get rid of the players who's first instinct is to swing a foot through the ball and blooter it as far up the pitch as possible. Ellis sadly does this 90% of the time. This style is part of our problem that is putting off fans.

If we keep players like Walker what message does this send out to the fans and young players. Walker has had some utterly rotten games but never gets dropped, rarely ever even subbed.

If Murray is staying at the helm then he needs to stamp his authority on the team. He will be judged more critically next year when the squad is 100% his. If he decides to keep his favourites and they don't perform then he is at risk of disallusioning even more fans and shrinking our fanbase even more.

Probably our most consistent centre half all year, I'd rate him above Mensing and Hill anyway.

Graham will never hack it in the SPL. He'll be even worse than Baird.

Agreed. Think he'll grab a few more goals though, Baird's finishing was atrocious half the time.

If Murray is staying at the helm then he needs to stamp his authority on the team. He will be judged more critically next year when the squad is 100% his.

Absolutely. I've stuck up for him a lot this season but if we're the same/worse next time round he has no excuses. A season's experience and his own squad. Not a rookie chucked in at the deep end any more.

Before we sign anyone for next season we should start with the core of our team being the players we have invested in and brought through our youth. Laidlaw, Donaldson, Callaghan and Vaughan must be playing regularly. Otherwise serious questions must be asked of the coaching staff. We should then build round these players with part time quality that they can learn from. The stale, slow, imobile plodders that we have must go.

Why play Laidlaw when we have McGurn? Vaughn's ran around a bit from the bench once so not sure how you can suggest be built around him. I think we should be looking to have Donaldson as first choice left-back and Callachan playing regularly in the middle of the park though.

I cant understand the life of me why so many fans want S Anderson to resign IMO he goes one way and thats back the way, Hes no pace what so ever, Very negative, maybe its just a case now that budgets dictate and thats all we can afford now. Robert sloan was slated by certain sections of the Rover support but he could do and did do far more than Mr Anderson.

Ive been Murrays biggest critic but if he can bring in midfielders more direct and pacy we have the potential to finish in a more respectable position next season after all we have 2 strikers with almost 40 goals between them yet are still struggling near the bottom of the league ,not enough contribution from the midfield has been the biggest problem whether its more goals , drive or ,pace and effort.

I cant understand the life of me why so many fans want S Anderson to resign IMO he goes one way and thats back the way, Hes no pace what so ever, Very negative, maybe its just a case now that budgets dictate and thats all we can afford now. Robert sloan was slated by certain sections of the Rover support but he could do and did do far more than Mr Anderson.

Ive been Murrays biggest critic but if he can bring in midfielders more direct and pacy we have the potential to finish in a more respectable position next season after all we have 2 strikers with almost 40 goals between them yet are still struggling near the bottom of the league ,not enough contribution from the midfield has been the biggest problem whether its more goals , drive or ,pace and effort.

Perhaps he's shite at selling sunbeds.

But seriously, his contract will be up, perhaps for renewal.

Given the news from Starks Park today regarding early bird season ticket prices and a freeze on gate prices, Bert will know his budget for next season and this will be reflected in who he wants to stay and who can resist the lure of San Starko to play for next to f**k all.

Stuart Anderson is a terrific holding midfield player, but he doesn't have the attributes to play as part of a 4-4-2. He can only play well when we are going to be up against it for the majority of the game and can play as the DM of a 3-man-midfield, with his job being keeping the ball and shifting it from side to side.

Also, comparing him to Robert Sloan is a silly comparison, entirely different players.

Edited by Hank Scorpio

Whilst we don't know what Murray's budget will be for next season nor do we know what players he might keep what would be Rovers fans expectations for next season (difficult to answer at this point I know).

I can't see there being any signings that make us sit up and go 'wow, great signing'. I worry that these young boys are going to get thrown into the team, not because I fear they lack the ability to play 1st team football in the 1st Division but because Rovers fans don't have the patience to give them time to develop.

Whilst we don't know what Murray's budget will be for next season nor do we know what players he might keep what would be Rovers fans expectations for next season (difficult to answer at this point I know).

I can't see there being any signings that make us sit up and go 'wow, great signing'. I worry that these young boys are going to get thrown into the team, not because I fear they lack the ability to play 1st team football in the 1st Division but because Rovers fans don't have the patience to give them time to develop.

:o:unsure2::):lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you tried asking Mystic Meg? Seriously Raithie, you are joking!!

Edited by Wee Sandy

:o:unsure2::):lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you tried asking Mystic Meg? Seriously Raithie, you are joking!!

I'll agree, perhaps a bit premature of me to ask that question.

Stuart Anderson gets stick because he doesn't just put his head down and run towards the goal until he loses possession. He doesn't panic, he keeps possession, and he helps to build attacks.

Scorpio is correct that Anderson is much more effective in a midfield 3 rather than a central 2, but I'd definitely have him on the list for next season.

Also, he's part-time and (I'd imagine) not one of the higher earners, so I'd be surprised if he's not at Stark's next year.

Stuart Anderson is a terrific holding midfield player, but he doesn't have the attributes to play as part of a 4-4-2. He can only play well when we are going to be up against it for the majority of the game and can play as the DM of a 3-man-midfield, with his job being keeping the ball and shifting it from side to side.

Also, comparing him to Robert Sloan is a silly comparison, entirely different players.

Agree 100%

I wasnt comparing sloan to anderson i was only using sloan as an example as both him and anderson divides the opinion of the Rovers support. Our midfields failings this year has been well documented in which Mr anderson has been a part of and in a league which requires pace and energy from the midfielders he is been found wanted aswell as his side kick Walker.