The New Raith Rovers Thread

Laidlaw is a competent goalie but he isn't McGurn. I'm pretty certain we'd have went in at half time two down at Hamilton, for example, with someone other than McGurn in goals. He keeps us in games regularly and wins us points. A truly fantastic goalkeeper at this level. He'll be a huge miss regardless of how well Laidlaw does. Tonight is a big night for him, hope everyone gets behind him.

I wonder if the usual 'clocks go back, Rovers turn shite' problem will strike again...

Laidlaw is a competent goalie but he isn't McGurn. I'm pretty certain we'd have went in at half time two down at Hamilton, for example, with someone other than McGurn in goals. He keeps us in games regularly and wins us points. A truly fantastic goalkeeper at this level. He'll be a huge miss regardless of how well Laidlaw does. Tonight is a big night for him, hope everyone gets behind him.

I wonder if the usual 'clocks go back, Rovers turn shite' problem will strike again...

Probably. Thanks for reminding me, it's killed any lingering optimism

In previous years our teams seemed to play very much the same way. Teams got to know how we would set up and play. This season it seems we can mix it up a bit more.

We had a lot more of the ball against Morton that we did in previous games last season. At home we seem to keep possession more and aren't as one dimensional as we once were.

The team seems able to adapt better within games to varying situations much better than before.

We do still love out last minute winners though. We've had so many (particular at the south stand end) in the last 5/6 years! What a feeling (or sometimes a relief)

We do still love out last minute winners though. We've had so many (particular at the south stand end) in the last 5/6 years! What a feeling (or sometimes a relief)

Very true. Trying to think of the one's we've had (not necessarily at the South Stand end or in any order):

Stranraer - think Kevin Smith got us a last minute winner back in the 2nd Division days at the North Stand end.

Arbroath - Ferry. I lost the plot when that went in.

Ayr x3 - Weir, Simmons and Casa

Dumbarton - Graham to put us 3-2 up.

Ross County - Jamie Mole

Morton - Smith

Stirling Albion - Cardle

Very true. Trying to think of the one's we've had (not necessarily at the South Stand end or in any order):

Stranraer - think Kevin Smith got us a last minute winner back in the 2nd Division days at the North Stand end.

Arbroath - Ferry. I lost the plot when that went in.

Ayr x3 - Weir, Simmons and Casa

Dumbarton - Graham to put us 3-2 up.

Ross County - Jamie Mole

Morton - Smith

Stirling Albion - Cardle

Can't forget Walker's stunning strike off the bar against Dundee in the title race season. Pretty sure we had a few more that season as well.

Can't forget Walker's stunning strike off the bar against Dundee in the title race season. Pretty sure we had a few more that season as well.

Can't believe I forgot that one. Think we've had a fair few last minute equaliser/winners away from home as well.

It was Casa's goal where the steward fell on his arse.

I'm not sure which one I went mental at. For Walker against Dundee, it was fantastic as it both kept our title challenge going for a bit longer while also wiping their unbeaten run. I was delighted we ended that run after McCann's goal in Dundee. It was fantastic walking up to the train station seeing their fans bang on about how they'd been cheated.

The Casa goal was a completely different situation of course. We'd have been 5 points below Ayr and it would've effectively meant we'd be fucked. Crawford Allan had a horror show that day, and the south stand was utterly livid after the non-penalty. Their fans were belting out "We are staying up". Casa hadn't scored since he'd got back and looked lacking in confidence but when you saw the ball hit the back of the net it was just chaos. I just remember piling down the stairs right to the front of the stand.

I absolutely love that guy. I don't think he's played in more than ten games for us but he's a cult hero if there ever was one. A derby goal on his debut, then returning to help keep us up. He scored a belter against Accies a few weeks later too.

It was Casa's goal where the steward fell on his arse.

I'm not sure which one I went mental at. For Walker against Dundee, it was fantastic as it both kept our title challenge going for a bit longer while also wiping their unbeaten run. I was delighted we ended that run after McCann's goal in Dundee. It was fantastic walking up to the train station seeing their fans bang on about how they'd been cheated.

The Casa goal was a completely different situation of course. We'd have been 5 points below Ayr and it would've effectively meant we'd be fucked. Crawford Allan had a horror show that day, and the south stand was utterly livid after the non-penalty. Their fans were belting out "We are staying up". Casa hadn't scored since he'd got back and looked lacking in confidence but when you saw the ball hit the back of the net it was just chaos. I just remember piling down the stairs right to the front of the stand.

I absolutely love that guy. I don't think he's played in more than ten games for us but he's a cult hero if there ever was one. A derby goal on his debut, then returning to help keep us up. He scored a belter against Accies a few weeks later too.

That video is just tremendous. It's when he stands up and just points before continuing the chase :lol:

So its sevco in the final. Couldn't make the game tonight so watched their game and it was sh#t%

If we get a ref like the one at tonights Stenny v Rangers game, we`d be as well not turning up.

McGurn will be out for 12 weeks. Not nearly as bad as I initially feared, as an injury like that can potentially side line you for 9 months :o

At least he won't be missing the cup final :)

Edited by Fotbawmad

If we get a ref like the one at tonights Stenny v Rangers game, we`d be as well not turning up.

I watched Daley closely tonight and every single header he went for apart from the goal, he pushed someone out the way. Most of their play was to punt the ball in the air into the box for Daley or McCulloch. On that performance I'd put them on par with a mid-bottom championship side. QoS didn't really turn up against them in the last round either.

I'm quietly confident that we can win but they'll probably spend another few million and strengthen again in January.

Casa's goal against Ayr was a fine moment, and a very important one (as was Simmons' equaliser also against Ayr a couple of seasons earlier, in pretty similar circumstances). But I think Ferry against Arbroath was my favourite of the various recent-ish last minute winners, for no particularly solid reason. Saturday's was good too, mind. The day I can no longer feel the giddy thrill of the last minute winner as excitably as ever is the day it's time to give up on football, and probably on life.

Anyhow, things are going quite well at the moment aren't they? All seven players Murray brought in over the summer ('m including Cardle) were in the starting XI last night, and now that Smith has contributed a couple of winners, all of them are doing pretty well.