The New Raith Rovers Thread

Everytime I see his name I feel so much anger towards McGlynn. McGurn made a mistake vs Falkirk (i think) and we went to Stirling the week after (again, i think) and no one could believe McNeil was given the nod to start. Then he went on to make mistake after mistake but never got dropped. It actually makes my blood boil. That game at EEP, he looked like he had seen a ghost. How McGurn never got called back into the team before then was unforgiveable. McGlynn then had the cheek to put McGurn back in when Dunfermline had the league wrapped up. :angry::angry::angry:

Everytime I see his name I feel so much anger towards McGlynn. McGurn made a mistake vs Falkirk (i think) and we went to Stirling the week after (again, i think) and no one could believe McNeil was given the nod to start. Then he went on to make mistake after mistake but never got dropped. It actually makes my blood boil. That game at EEP, he looked like he had seen a ghost. How McGurn never got called back into the team before then was unforgiveable. McGlynn then had the cheek to put McGurn back in when Dunfermline had the league wrapped up. :angry: :angry: :angry:

post-13347-0-23460100-1383694061.png

As bad as McNeil was I don't think any keeper has been as bad for us as Chris Fahey was against Airdrie in the 2nd division playoffs. 2 of the worst goals to ever concede in the space of a few minutes of each other and the season was effectively over.

As bad as McNeil was I don't think any keeper has been as bad for us as Chris Fahey was against Airdrie in the 2nd division playoffs. 2 of the worst goals to ever concede in the space of a few minutes of each other and the season was effectively over.

Agree. That was fucking horrendous. In fact if he came back to draw the 50/50 I'd be tempted to boo him.

I don't feel the same anger towards McNeill. Winning the league that season was always unlikely and even if we'd beaten the Pars that day I suspect we still would have ran out of steam in the last two games. And with hindsight the SPL would have been an expensive, horrendous car crash for us just like it was for the Pars. We dodged a bullet I reckon

The playoff game Davidson was at fault for one of those goals. Besides Fahey was a good player for us when he came in for Brown when he was injured, unfair just to point to that game and say he was crap

McGlynn and his stupid tinkering with goalkeepers was one of the strangest bits of football management I have ever seen and he did it 2 different seasons.

We had the midfield of Simmons, Davidson, Kevin McBride and Walker despite having Ferry and Williamson on the bench. Looking back it was a shame that we couldn't finish the job that season. Partially, McGlynn lost a bit of control in the final ten games and was making strange decisions. Just as importantly, the Pars signed Rutkiewcz and Hardie, two players who had experience of winning the league.

We did so well for having such a small budget that season. Throughout the season pretty much everyone on here said "We're enjoying it while it lasts". We have some fantastic moments like Walker's goals against Dunfermline and Dundee to look back on!

Minus the nightmare game against Airdrie I thought Fahey was quite decent for us.

This. Fahey was a decent enough 'keeper for us, it was very unfortunate he saved his worst blunders for such an important game.

McNeil was a bombscare, I genuinely don't remember him having a decent game for us, although I'm sure he must have..

It was odd that we had 3 goalies all vying for the jersey that season, that's pretty unusual for any team, never mind one in Scotland's third tier. The fact that McGlynn poked all of them out the door as soon as we lost to Airdrie I guess suggests that he didn't particularly rate any of them.

The dropping of McGurn was perplexing and infuriating, although he had just thrown one in the back of the net against Falkirk. He persisted with McNeil despite a few of those however, and even after he went off injured at half-time in the last-minute win against Dundee, which I thought was the ideal opportunity to continue with McGurn.

We almost certainly would have got pumped if we'd went up that season though. Generally speaking, any time there's a reasonably close title race, the team that wins it tend to struggle when they go up. The teams that normally do well, are those that win the league by a mile, like Ross County, Inverness, and St Johnstone a few years back. Dunfermline were better than us that year, but were still out their depth, even against an even guffer than usual Hibs team.

If we had went up that year we'd have had to fork out thousands installing under soil heating and updating our media and press boxes to the point where we'd have next to nothing left to improve the squad. I'd hazard a guess, if we went up, we probably would have went the entire season not winning a game with the squad we had.

If we had went up that year we'd have had to fork out thousands installing under soil heating and updating our media and press boxes to the point where we'd have next to nothing left to improve the squad. I'd hazard a guess, if we went up, we probably would have went the entire season not winning a game with the squad we had.

I agree with all of this plus we would've have to have changed the entire squad and pay 2nd rate spl players big wages.

I enjoyed that season for a change as there were some great moments

I'm not so sure about all that. Even though I thought Dunfermline were better than us that season, and better equipped to win the league, my suspicion was that we might actually be better equipped to scrap away in a relegation battle in the SPL.

There's every chance there's a lot of bollocks but you can never prove me wrong so I'm going to stick with it.