The New Raith Rovers Thread

And with hindsight the SPL would have been an expensive, horrendous car crash for us just like it was for the Pars. We dodged a bullet I reckon

Yeah instead we spent a thrilling season in the first. Nah give me promotion any day. I don't know what it us but rovers fans never seem to want to be promoted we had the same shit about us going up to the first, too expensive, well get pumped ever week etc.

Yeah instead we spent a thrilling season in the first. Nah give me promotion any day. I don't know what it us but rovers fans never seem to want to be promoted we had the same shit about us going up to the first, too expensive, well get pumped ever week etc.

Indeed. This season it's "ah but Rangers and Hearts will be in this league next season, maybe Dunfermline too". I don't give a shit. We'll have turned a profit last season, we'll turn a profit this season. We're not on the verge of death consistently any more. St Johnstone were just as bad as us ten years ago, that has to be the aim. Staying in the First Division next season where third is realistically as good as it'll get is fucking useless.

I don't think it's anything to do with lack of ambition, it's not like the players/club chucked in the towel in the last few games - we were runners up because Dunfermline were better than us. If we had won the league that season then we'd just have to enjoy it as best we could and I'm sure the euphoria of winning promotion would have dwindled away very quickly when we were getting pumped week in week out ala Dunfermline. IMO we'd have had to spend some serious cash to put together a squad capable of competing in the SPL and you have all the other add on's as well that I mentioned above. There would have been no way our current squad back then would have kept us up. Anyone who thinks that is living in cloud cuckoo land. You could argue the financial demands to chase the illustrious dream of competing in Scotland's top flight could have crippled us.

How do you know this?

Having watched this team for decades we would have been crippled by trying to compete, I don't think we would have had the same will from the townsfolk as Dunfermline had , we don't have multi millionaires on the board, if we do go up we would really have to prepare our selfs. There are too many fractions surrounding this club with interests spread about. As honourable as Turnbull is just now he is not wealthy enough to triple the budget or more. We won't refuse a promotion and we are probably in a better place than we were two seasons ago. In answer to your question I don't know this but I've been around long enough not to believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden. We are a proud wee club living within our means just now which is how we need to continue.

You could argue we'll always be in this position if we ever flirt with promotion. That fear of can we compete? do we have money to spend on the squad? are we prepared? what are the financial implications of possibly going straight back down? etc - things we all sometimes forget during the wave of jubilation at winning a league and knowing you're mixing it with the big boys. The financial gains we receive from league reconstruction and/or promotion might be our saving grace should we win promotion this season and as RRFC2711 has said we're probably in a better place to go up this season than two season ago.

For what it's worth I've never been someone who has looked at the possibility of the Championship having the likes of Hearts, Rangers, Dunfermline, Dundee, Falkirk next season as a reason to remain at this level. It'll just turn into a b*****d of a league to get out of.

IF we finish the season in a play off position we will get the elevated prize money due to the restructure plus the added revenue from the games that we play. If you then get promoted you get teh additional TV money plus we have any money from the final of the Ramsdens plus any additional cup runs we get. We are going to be alot healthier in that respect and Id hope that with any team going up the increase in revenue will mean a more realistic chance of them putting up a good fight to stay up

From our point of view tho our priority now we know we have revenue from the cup final guarenteed is to start extending contracts. I don't want us to be in the situation where almost all the squad is on 6 months or less of a contract

Having watched this team for decades we would have been crippled by trying to compete, I don't think we would have had the same will from the townsfolk as Dunfermline had , we don't have multi millionaires on the board, if we do go up we would really have to prepare our selfs. There are too many fractions surrounding this club with interests spread about. As honourable as Turnbull is just now he is not wealthy enough to triple the budget or more. We won't refuse a promotion and we are probably in a better place than we were two seasons ago. In answer to your question I don't know this but I've been around long enough not to believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden. We are a proud wee club living within our means just now which is how we need to continue.

I totally agree with what you are saying and my post was pretty stupid because, well the answer was obvious.

However at the same time, I reckon we'd have had a better chance at staying up than Dunfermline. Tade would have stayed and, with McGurn in the sticks, we'd have won every game to nil.

McGlynn and his stupid tinkering with goalkeepers was one of the strangest bits of football management I have ever seen and he did it 2 different seasons.

The season with Fahey, Brown and Renton was ridiculous from McGlynn. Every week you turned up having no idea who would be in goal, with McGlynn sometimes changing them for no obvious reason. I think that knocked Fahey's confidence and he got steadily worse as the season went on. Other than the Airdrie game, there was a game against Cowdenbeath near the end of the season where he punched a cross into his own net as well. It was a pity because he was excellent the season before when he filled in for Brown.

I don't think it's anything to do with lack of ambition, it's not like the players/club chucked in the towel in the last few games - we were runners up because Dunfermline were better than us. If we had won the league that season then we'd just have to enjoy it as best we could and I'm sure the euphoria of winning promotion would have dwindled away very quickly when we were getting pumped week in week out ala Dunfermline. IMO we'd have had to spend some serious cash to put together a squad capable of competing in the SPL and you have all the other add on's as well that I mentioned above. There would have been no way our current squad back then would have kept us up. Anyone who thinks that is living in cloud cuckoo land. You could argue the financial demands to chase the illustrious dream of competing in Scotland's top flight could have crippled us.

Pretty much agree with all of this,

I'd love Rovers to be back in the top flight and yes revenues would have risen but as the Pars found it wasn't exactly the pot of gold. When you factor in a higher playing budget and the structural costs we would have had to invest I think we would have been struggling. It would likely be us in administration, scrapping around trying to save our club and back in the second division. Instead we've built a solid squad we can afford who are in a cup final and challenging at the top of the league and playing the best football we've seen at Starks for a long time.

Slightly off topic in terms of what we've been discussing in the last few posts but I see there was a bit of bother last night between Pars and Rangers fans. Looks to have got a bit out of hand inside and outside the stadium (objects thrown, fans charging one another, young lad having his drum stolen, woman and kids hit with pies, lighters and coins). Really hope we don't see anything like that at our Cup Final game but with Rangers arsehole element and their issues towards Turnbull and the club in general it wouldn't surprise me.

Hopefully our final will be okay, day game, neutral venue, neutral police/stewards all help.

Whilst I hope that's the case there's still that situation of many people wanting to get through early for a few jars. There will be a fair few pissed up weegies/Fifers in the city whereby I hope everyone can behave. I just get this feeling that a bunch of drunk Rangers fans, who already have a gripe with us and our board, might be a recipe for disaster.

Of course it'll all kick off at Easter Road. There's a reason Rangers and Celtic aren't usually allowed 4pm kick-offs. I have absolutely no doubt at all a large number of them will start fights/chuck things/sing their bile, and a small number of our lot will react and spend the nights in the cells while the Rangers fans merrily go home.

We know better than anyone there's an element of the Pars support hell-bent on causing trouble, but last night's reports seem to involve kids being struck by coins, several Pars fans needing medical attention, a stolen drum and a young lad being jumped by several Rangers fans after the match. I've just had a gander on the match thread and it's condoned by all Rangers fans posting, with one even posting the Pars fans were 'lucky'.

And they wonder why we cheered when they died...

Of course it'll all kick off at Easter Road. There's a reason Rangers and Celtic aren't usually allowed 4pm kick-offs. I have absolutely no doubt at all a large number of them will start fights/chuck things/sing their bile, and a small number of our lot will react and spend the nights in the cells while the Rangers fans merrily go home.

We know better than anyone there's an element of the Pars support hell-bent on causing trouble, but last night's reports seem to involve kids being struck by coins, several Pars fans needing medical attention, a stolen drum and a young lad being jumped by several Rangers fans after the match. I've just had a gander on the match thread and it's condoned by all Rangers fans posting, with one even posting the Pars fans were 'lucky'.

And they wonder why we cheered when they died...

This happened to one of my friends at Pittodrie. Said a word he really shouldnt have, but said it once and ended up in the cells until the Monday and with a football banning order to boot.

Just because there were 5000 Rangers fans singing worse songs over and over again, that makes it okay.

The police and Scottish football arent interested in really sorting the sectarian/bile issue. If they were there would be matches played behind closed doors and huge fines - they dont have the stones to deal with the old firm due to the large numbers.

I just hope we win the game. Their fans are the lowest if the fucking low but lets hope there is no violence. I can't wait to give their fans and manager utter dogs abuse once in the ground.

Absolutely dreading the final already. You can just tell it's all going to kick off on Leith Walk and at Waverley. Those fucking orcs can't behave themselves and there'll undoubtedly be bother between us and them.

Unfortunately, I agree.

There is such a chip on their shoulder about their perceived treatment and in particular the part Turnbull Hutton played in the sporting integrity debate.

All that plus when we f**k them over on the park will result in carnage.