The New Raith Rovers Thread

There was one season I was going to go to every game - 2007/08 - and I got as far as March and then decided to jack in my job to go travelling, and missed the remainder of the season altogether. Which at least meant I didn't have to watch Fahey's play-off disaster.

Never got that close since.

"the redevelopment of Stark's was the worst thing to happen to the club" - yup, really wish we could undo that.

There was one season I was going to go to every game - 2007/08 - and I got as far as March and then decided to jack in my job to go travelling, and missed the remainder of the season altogether. Which at least meant I didn't have to watch Fahey's play-off disaster.

Never got that close since.

"the redevelopment of Stark's was the worst thing to happen to the club" - yup, really wish we could undo that.

Completely agree with that.

Dare I suggest that the redevelopment was necessary due to the SPL?

As to it being the worst thing to happen to the club, it's certainly up there. The board going mad during the time Starks was being redeveloped and spending stupid money is another, as was the Anelka debacle.

We needed to redevelop Starks to get into the SPL; we didn't need to throw money around recklessly. There is nothing wrong with having ambition if you're sensible but, alas, we weren't. We are still paying for these three things today, and will be for the next few years as well.

Luckily, the joke SPL criteria is gone (as has the SPL) and I do think we've learned our lesson. The important thing is that we're still here with our - not exactly impressive - history intact.

Edited by Michael W

Considering what Inverness and Ross County have done with their stadiums, it's a shame we had to go all out and build a stadium that needed 10,000 seats. Pretty sure capacity now is 8,000 odd because there's no seats in the railway stand now..

2 smaller stands and a well kept railway stand would have, in hindsight of course been much better! But hey ho.

Edited by Wardy

Yeah everyone makes mistakes. People just get frustrated. Of course the money that they make is not world changing, but still is a bit more than the average worker on say £12k a year for example.

Plus playing football comes with that added pressure, and the fact you will get abused because of your performances. I'm not saying it's right, but I think the players know fine well that it will happen throughout their careers. All they have to do is get on with it.

I work in retail and I've had people shout at me about how our returns policy is pish and that I'm not doing my job right. It doesn't make me do my job any worse. The same would be if my manager came up to me and said "why were those things not out away, or why was such and such not done" I'm not going to suddenly perform worse...

It's all relative though.

Your. Situation is a little different in the fact it's not a personal attack on you , if they said that you were incompetent or incapable that would be different it's not good for morale and would without doubt dent your confidence

Don't forget keep your nose clean and you probably have a job for life a footballer at this level will get to 40 max and probably more like 33 that's if he can get a club then what

It's harsh to criticise players if they are trying there best that's as much as you can ask for if they aren't good enough that's the managers problem

We are stuck with what we have at least until the end if the season lets get behind them and hope we can have an exciting run in

Your. Situation is a little different in the fact it's not a personal attack on you , if they said that you were incompetent or incapable that would be different it's not good for morale and would without doubt dent your confidence

Don't forget keep your nose clean and you probably have a job for life a footballer at this level will get to 40 max and probably more like 33 that's if he can get a club then what

It's harsh to criticise players if they are trying there best that's as much as you can ask for if they aren't good enough that's the managers problem

We are stuck with what we have at least until the end if the season lets get behind them and hope we can have an exciting run in

It wouldn't be a Rovers season without it being exciting!!! No such thing as a mid table team! :lol:

It may not be a personal attack, but having customers shouting and swearing in your face, can be offensive, even more so that it coming from a terrace or stand. But that's a story for another day..

I've said before that the players are trying, but people get carried away and get frustrated when things go wrong. But I think people who go to the games always want the best for the team, but portray their feelings in different ways...

I for one can admit that I've shouted and swore at games, but there's other games that I've not said anything at all. Maybe a lot has to do with who people sit with. Different situations lead to different reactions. I'm ways up and arms at the refs from time to time! :lol:

Dare I suggest that the redevelopment was necessary due to the SPL?

Sure. Don't think anyone was apportioning blame, just noting the fact of it. And there are other clubs that suffered worse than we did by the SPL's ground rules. One of the worst, longest-latsing and least-mentioned effects of the all-round disaster that was the SPL.

The more you think about it, the more you have to wonder the logic. You can imagine the logic of it, "Aye, they're doing well with that English Premiership. I bet we can do the same and people will flock to it. They're pulling in tens of thousands each week, why not the same with the people in Kirkcaldy, Livingston and Airdrie etc". It was an absolutely stupid idea of our governing bodies to think they could realistically go toe-to-toe with the sky juggernaut of down south.

As I said, probably the worst thing to happen to our club. Especially when you consider the future implications it has had for us.

While I agree a smaller couple of end stands of better quality and the Railway stand still in operation would make for a better stadium and atmosphere I don't we should pretend Starks was some sort of hotbed of atmosphere pre-redevelopment. For big games when it was packed it was great but for most routine games it was it is now - fairly quiet with opposition fans miles away

Edited to add that the SPL criteria was nuts as was pretty much everything the SPL did

Edited by roverthemoon

On the redevelopment of Starks Park, I don't think the SPL ground criteria can be entirely blamed for this. The decision to form the breakaway SPL was made in September 1997, with the league commencing in 1998. The redevelopment was prior to both of these events.

On the redevelopment of Starks Park, I don't think the SPL ground criteria can be entirely blamed for this. The decision to form the breakaway SPL was made in September 1997, with the league commencing in 1998. The redevelopment was prior to both of these events.

Not sure about the timings but the top league criteria of 10,000 seats was definitely in place or known. The ground was definitely redeveloped to meet the criteria of 10,000 seats as there was a lot of debate about the stupidity of the rule at the time.

From memory there was talk of the ground being completely re-built up at the Retail Park and was due to be similar in design to Livi's stadium prior to the decision being made to just to do up our current ground. Were we not also looking into building a stand next to the main stand but local residents opposed this idea as it would mean lack of sunlight coming into their house? Smaller stands behind the goals and a demolished and re-built railway stand would have looked quite nice imo.

Thought I could challenge Calderon's super fan status but I only managed a disappointing 34. Close, but no cigar. Might have to re-think my decision to not go friendlies

I think I've only ever managed every single game once when we were in the Premier, which was a 44 league season so was some effort.

Thought I could challenge Calderon's super fan status but I only managed a disappointing 34. Close, but no cigar. Might have to re-think my decision to not go friendlies

I think I've only ever managed every single game once when we were in the Premier, which was a 44 league season so was some effort.

Part timer. You are not permitted to boo.

Part timer

Before i moved down south i was home and away literally every week. I've been to 9, that'll be my limit unfortunately. But next season, i'll try to double it. I'll be watching BBC Alba on sunday. I just have a sneaky feeling that our names on that cup, if Hill and Watson hold firm, our forward boys will do the job.