The New Raith Rovers Thread

Airdrie have signed Andy McNeil. Was he any good when he played with Raith?

Decent shot stopper with good distribution, let down by the fact that he completely loses his head at least once a game. Whether it's nearly passing a by kick into his own goal, dropping the ball at the striker's feet or picking up a back pass, McNeil is good for great entertanment - if your the opposition.

Took a lot of criticism form the loss at Dunfermline that cost us the league - yet as nervous as he looked, that wasn't really his fault, and some of the cirtiicsm was surely more to do with who he wasn't than his own actions that day.

Yet he is good for clangers galore and while the Livi fans will give you a less negative review, they'll no doubt flag up his questionable decision making and rush of blood to the head tendencies.

Edited by renton

Took a lot of criticism form the loss at Dunfermline that cost us the league - yet as nervous as he looked, that wasn't really his fault, and some of the cirtiicsm was surely more to do with who he wasn't than his own actions that day.

I agree with most of what you say on here mate, but can't let that go :D

He was a bombscare in the warm-up that game, got worse through the game then lined up the worst wall I've possibly ever seen before THAT free kick...

Although you are probably right in that the loss was not all his fault, I blame McGlynn for playing him in goal and Simmons on the wing.

I'd have to agree about McNeil in the Dunfermline game.

I thought some of the criticism around him had been a bit OTT until that point, but his performance at East End was as bad as I've seen from a keeper at this level.

You could see after 5 minutes that his bottle was gone, he genuinely didn't want to be on the park. I seem to recall he misjudged a huge aimless punt up the park early doors, that bounced over his head and just went wide. You could tell by the players body language at that point that they had zero faith in him.

He maybe wasn't horrendously at fault for the goals on the day, but his lack of confidence filtered right through the side, which, in my opinion anyway, contributed to a few of the players not truly believing we could win that day.

I was adamant he'd be substituted at half-time, such was his ineptitude on the day.

Robbie Raeside was sat along from me that day, and he asked if McNeil was "that shite every week?"

Still, even that performance wasn't as bad as that double ponytail thing he cultivated at Livingston.

You could see after 5 minutes that his bottle was gone, he genuinely didn't want to be on the park. I seem to recall he misjudged a huge aimless punt up the park early doors, that bounced over his head and just went wide. You could tell by the players body language at that point that they had zero faith in him.

Totally agree with this, that mistake obviously never cost us a goal but he was a wreck after it and it seemed to me that the rest of the team had no confidence in him whatsoever. Did he no come out at the McCathie end after half time in a new strip which tricked us all in to thinking he had been subbed off?

McNeill's worst game was the Cowdenbeath game where we drew a couple of weeks before going to East End. Early doors he let a simple ball from Dyer trickle under his foot and out for a corner. This was despite having all the time to control it. We were lucky it didn't put us a goal down.

Then in the second half, he cleared the ball right into Stewart who ran the ball into an empty net. We were rancid that day but still should have won. It took a last ditch goal to get an equaliser, before we almost went and won it with Tade missing a free header from six yards out! Had we won that game, we'd have gone in on a lot more stable ground into the final four games.

i still have the image of the goal kick against Cowdenbeath implated in my head - took a bye kick from the lefth and side of the penalty box, squaffed it so badly across the face of his own goal it trundled just past the right post and went out for a Cowden corner - scary stuff!

It wasn't a goal kick he was passing from the by line on the left hand side of the goal, right on the line, to the right back and it went out for a corner at the right side of the goals

Completely defied logic / physics

Maybe it's may latent pessimsim, but does anyone think that now that he doesn't have to figure on his parent club having a say in where he goes (or paying his wage) that Conroy will be offski to somewhere other than Starks?

Edited by renton

Maybe it's may latent pessimsim, but does anyone think that now that he doesn't have to figure on his parent club having a say in where he goes (or paying his wage) that Conroy will be offski to somewhere other than Starks?

If anything I'm more confident. No other team has been linked as heavily as we have. Hope that we can tie it up quickly.

If anything I'm more confident. No other team has been linked as heavily as we have. Hope that we can tie it up quickly.

I dunno, you can imagine the conversation:

Hartley: Ryan, your not in my plans anymore

Conroy: Fine but I've got a year left and I want the money.

Hartley: Ok, we'll send you out on loan.

Conroy: Ok, where?

Hartley: Raith.

Conroy: Fuckit, keep the money, I'm away.

Did preseason start today? Spence posted about today being day one.

Training starts on Saturday. I didn't see the tweet but there's every chance he's doing gym work etc to prepare.

Chunky? The boys a house. His legs are something else. No homo

I've wondered more than once (no homo) if he isn't a little muscle bound. Much like Christian Nade, he looks like a fat c**t until you see him with his shirt off. No homo.

Training starts on Saturday. I didn't see the tweet but there's every chance he's doing gym work etc to prepare.

Fair point, it was a Facebook post from him saying "Think I needed that session - day one down got to love pre-season".