The New Raith Rovers Thread

Actually a few. He has played in the SPL with Dundee and Killie. So sit down you tool and tell me about how good he is.

Eta - Something like 5 goals in 56 is his current goal scoring record since 2011. We are crying out for an out and out striker who will bag 15+ goals. This is a poor signing.

The harsh reality is, a 15+ striker will choose 5 teams in this league at least before going near Raith Rovers.

The fact one of our best players last season jumped ship to one of the other teams in the league tells its own story.

Decent squad so far, hopefully some more new faces as the week goes on.

Also, I highly doubt we are gearing towards big punts up to Nade.

That might end up happening, but that certainly isnt the intention from the manager. He has always at least tried to set out teams to play football. Not that it has really worked, but thats what his intention has been the past couple of seasons anyway.

Well, no, but do you think Grant Murray has been watching a lot of him?

I would think our scouting and signing policy is based on more than players who were alright a few years ago and who maybe played well against us recently. I'd also think Murray will have spoken to guys who have worked or played with Stewart in the past and will have seen some footage of him recently at least.

We're crying out for some pace in the team and even if he's not an automatic first choice he can help change things in a game with 20-25 mins to go against tiring defences who have been battered by Nade. No-one has offered is anything like that since we had Tade's speed up top.

Call me a happy clapper or whatever, but I'll reserve judgement until he's settled in and played a good few matches with his new team-mates in a different style against different opponents. Graham didn't get off the mark quickly or start banging them in regularly until the end of his first season, and it took Tade until the end if September for him to break his duck. So why don't we give Stewart a chance instead of writing him off straight away?

Murray's good signings far outweigh his iffy ones.

I dont think murray has done anything wrong with his signings. I dont believe we have an exciting squad this year. More a efficient squad who will do there job efficiently. Things are shaping up nicely i suggest.

McGlynn was the same, he only signed players he's heard of, or guys that played well against us. But I think most managers do. I wish we had some decent scouts. That takes money. And someone else said that there are clubs in this division decent players would go first before coming to us. The quicker we get our heads round that the better, and Baird didn't leave because we weren't a good option, I firmly believe it's location, I believe they train in Glasgow, I also might be talking pish.

I dont think murray has done anything wrong with his signings. I dont believe we have an exciting squad this year. More a efficient squad who will do there job efficiently. Things are shaping up nicely i suggest.

That'll do, just a case of Murray managing efficiently.

Baird didn't leave because we weren't a good option, I firmly believe it's location, I believe they train in Glasgow, I also might be talking pish.

thats the excuse he gave anyway,pretty lame one TBH

Edited by Rovers_Lad

Call me a happy clapper or whatever, but I'll reserve judgement until he's settled in and played a good few matches with his new team-mates in a different style against different opponents.

Murray's good signings far outweigh his iffy ones.

That's not happy-clapping at all. Everyone does that, surely? Doesn't mean you can't comment negatively on signing a journeyman striker who's scored 5 in 56. As you rightly point out, Graham was pretty shoddy until he returned from injury in March of his first season. Maybe Stewart will be great.

And Murray's signings have always on paper looked pretty good, we were all very positive going into last season, but as it turned out we were shite. So the good signings didn't really help much...

Actually a few. He has played in the SPL with Dundee and Killie. So sit down you tool and tell me about how good he is.

Eta - Something like 5 goals in 56 is his current goal scoring record since 2011. We are crying out for an out and out striker who will bag 15+ goals. This is a poor signing.

You didn't answer the question. I'm aware of what clubs he had played for the question was how many times have you actually seen him play for these teams.

I didn't say he was good, but you said he wasn't, I simply asked what you were basing your opinion on. You obviously don't have an intelligent answer if you have to resort to schoolboy comments and insults.

Edited by starks mad

Have you forgotten who we are? Who are the 15+ goal strikers who will come to a side which never kicked a ball, 2 games apart, in the last six months of the season? Living within your means sometimes forces reality upon you. Give the felly a chance for goodness' sake.

Also, I highly doubt we are gearing towards big punts up to Nade.

That might end up happening, but that certainly isnt the intention from the manager. He has always at least tried to set out teams to play football. Not that it has really worked, but thats what his intention has been the past couple of seasons anyway.

Yup, there are times when we've been one dimensional, but never a long ball team.

In any event, It's not necessarily the case that as a team likely to be playing a lot of counter attacking football, that we need a 'wee, nippy' striker. Playing the ball into Elliot and Nade should allow us to keep a hold of it to bring others into play - knocking long into the channel shouldn't be our method.

I'd actually like to see us play as a 4-2-3-1, with Moon and Fox sitting as the two, Nade as the one with Elliot as the central part of the three. We could use Scott as part of the three as well, and hopefully bring in a wide player who cna play a wee bit more directly as the other part of the three.

Have you forgotten who we are? Who are the 15+ goal strikers who will come to a side which never kicked a ball, 2 games apart, in the last six months of the season? Living within your means sometimes forces reality upon you. Give the felly a chance for goodness' sake.

Here's a point, for everyone obsessing over a guarenteed 15 goal a season striker. Gordon Smith had previously been there or there abouts at this level for Stirling, and it's generally agreed that he was no where good enough last year. Spence had 11 in his first year and 12 this year, so again, not too far off the coveted 15 a season, yet no one seems to fussed about whether he stays or goes.

Interestingly, Baird did 13 in his first year and 11 in his second, then obviously barely kicked a ball at a higher level. That last six months with us, is probably as prolific as he's ever been.

That's not happy-clapping at all. Everyone does that, surely? Doesn't mean you can't comment negatively on signing a journeyman striker who's scored 5 in 56. As you rightly point out, Graham was pretty shoddy until he returned from injury in March of his first season. Maybe Stewart will be great.

And Murray's signings have always on paper looked pretty good, we were all very positive going into last season, but as it turned out we were shite. So the good signings didn't really help much...

We turned shite, due to a small squad who's style became predictable and where it was hard for players who's form wa sdropping to be replaced. We didn't start shite however, and actually played some really nice stuff.

i'm fairly positive about our squad reconstruction over the past few weeks. I still feel we are light in a few places - If Anderson re signs then that fixes one of them, and then we only really need to be looking at a starting left midfielder for our starting line up. It would be good to add a bit of depth to bring in both cover and competition, but there is 6 weeks still before the season starts proper, and I'm sure we will see a few more players brought in

That's not happy-clapping at all. Everyone does that, surely? Doesn't mean you can't comment negatively on signing a journeyman striker who's scored 5 in 56.

I see a lot of people writing him off as 'pish' already. That's not reserving judgement until they see him in a Rovers shirt. But, hey, that's Rovers fans for you. Welcome to the club, Mark...

You didn't answer the question. I'm aware of what clubs he had played for the question was how many times have you actually seen him play for these teams.

I didn't say he was good, but you said he wasn't, I simply asked what you were basing your opinion on. You obviously don't have an intelligent answer if you have to resort to schoolboy comments and insults.

I did. It was the first sentence.

That's not my job to find out. But there were 4 in the division last season all from different clubs. Cowdenbeath even had one. Even their second top goal scorer out scored our top. Hamilton had 3 players above Spence for goals, albeit they never scored over 15. Is wanting someone who can play as an out an out striker to much to ask for? There will be some out there who would be willing to play for us.

If One of the teams around us had signed Stewart we would be laughing at them. Murray has clearly just brought in him because he's a name that he knows and he has probably have him the run around a few years back.

Sorry for not getting excited over this signing. He's just not very good.

However the signing of McKeown fills me with a lot of confidence. He's a very decent player at this level and his throw will add another dimension to our game. Very happy with that one.