The New Raith Rovers Thread

Cuthbert isn't here to sit on our bench. He's a solid but unspectacular keeper at this level, certainly not as good as McGurn IMO. If he hadn't been injured, he'd still be our No1 - Murray wouldn't drop him.

How long is he actually out for, anyway? Seems to be another of those ones where we know he'll not be back in the next month, but otherwise unspecified.

Cuthbert isn't here to sit on our bench. He's a solid but unspectacular keeper at this level, certainly not as good as McGurn IMO. If he hadn't been injured, he'd still be our No1 - Murray wouldn't drop him.

How long is he actually out for, anyway? Seems to be another of those ones where we know he'll not be back in the next month, but otherwise unspecified.

Heard he was scared to come back as oor Davie is far superior, could just be a rumour like.

Don't get all this 'send Laidlaw out on loan' stuff. The guy is a bombscare and has been given chance after chance to stake a claim for No1 yet failed every time. Would any side in League2 or 3 put him in their 1st team? Doubt it. We should get shot asap, the boy doesn't have it.

Cuthbert is solid, McGurn is solid and on plenty occasions a match winner making saves he has no right to. He may be part time but in my book it would be fair to offer him extra money and an extension, of all our players, he deserves it.

Would be up to Cuthbert whether to fight for jersey or move on

Don't get all this 'send Laidlaw out on loan' stuff. The guy is a bombscare and has been given chance after chance to stake a claim for No1 yet failed every time. Would any side in League2 or 3 put him in their 1st team? Doubt it. We should get shot asap, the boy doesn't have it.

The boy's only 22. Davie McGurn didn't join Morton from Hillwood Boys Club until he was 23, and didn't get a minute of senior game time until he was 24. Ross Laidlaw might never make it at this level, but it's far too early to say. With nearly 40 appearances already, he's got more experience than just about every other Scottish keeper his age, and as good a chance as any.

Is it maybe the case that we couldn't hire Malpas as assistant because he's still getting paid by Hibs and if we appointed him they would stop? A bit like Levein at hearts still being paid by the SFA

Levein isnt being paid by the sfa,he came to an agreement with the sfa

Surely Murray knows it would be managerial suicide to drop McGurn/not offer him a new deal? After all he was part of the squad when McGlynn dropped him for McN**l, and was surely aware of the pelters the lad got and how unhappy the fans were about it.

I can almost see it now. We'd punt Cuthbert, McGurn would get injured and we'd be left with Laidlaw and folk will be like "we shouldn't have punted Cuthbert".

Great idea! I love a good moan. Cuthbert is a decent enough keeper. I was quite happy when we got him, but McGurn is still No.1 for me.

The boy's only 22. Davie McGurn didn't join Morton from Hillwood Boys Club until he was 23, and didn't get a minute of senior game time until he was 24. Ross Laidlaw might never make it at this level, but it's far too early to say. With nearly 40 appearances already, he's got more experience than just about every other Scottish keeper his age, and as good a chance as any.

All this he's young at 22 stuff does my head in. We are talking about the Scottish Championship. A league with 3 part time teams in it. A league on par (outside Hearts Hibs and Rangers this year ) with the conference leagues in England.

Being only 22 didn't stop De Ghea at Man U to or Courtious at Athletico and Chelsea.

I could understand being too young for the Premier League or Bundesliga. The fact is keepers play at levels miles above us at 22.

I'm baffled how McGurn is still at Raith, never mind being No.1. Easily your best keeper and has been for years.

If I recall correctly he has a decent job away from the Rovers and prefers to play part time. Suits us fine as if he were full time, chances are he would have left some time ago.

All this he's young at 22 stuff does my head in. We are talking about the Scottish Championship. A league with 3 part time teams in it. A league on par (outside Hearts Hibs and Rangers this year ) with the conference leagues in England. Being only 22 didn't stop De Ghea at Man U to or Courtious at Athletico and Chelsea. I could understand being too young for the Premier League or Bundesliga. The fact is keepers play at levels miles above us at 22.

What a ridiculous statement. I actually can't even begin to point out how thoroughly wrong it is, in so many different ways.

Not saying Laidlaw won't make it. I do however find it unlikely.

Any outfield player would be hounded out of club if performing at his standard, despite goalkeepers traditionally 'maturing' later in their career, I see little point in keeping him on our books in the hope that he turns into a good keeper one of these days!

IF he were to go out on loan I feel a stint in the juniors or even amateurs would benefit him, rough him up a bit, few kicks and elbows in the chops can't be a bad thing for a wet behind the ears keeper with aspirations of making a career out of it

What a ridiculous statement. I actually can't even begin to point out how thoroughly wrong it is, in so many different ways.

I bet you could make a decent fist of it. Statto, statto!

For what it's worth, not sure if Laidlaw will make it. He'll do as short-term back-up for McGurn, but if his wages are similar to Cuthbert then I'd prefer Cuthbert. What age is McGurn these days? We definitely can't be carrying 3 first team goalies though, so something has to give. I'd much rather have another outfield player.

Callaghan had impressed in his last few outings. He's freshened up the team.

I bet you could make a decent fist of it. Statto, statto!

For what it's worth, not sure if Laidlaw will make it. He'll do as short-term back-up for McGurn, but if his wages are similar to Cuthbert then I'd prefer Cuthbert. What age is McGurn these days? We definitely can't be carrying 3 first team goalies though, so something has to give. I'd much rather have another outfield player.

Callaghan had impressed in his last few outings. He's freshened up the team.

He is 34, a young man in goalkeeping terms.

I will give you the top 3 who pop up on most lists:

Marc-Andre ter Stegen

Debuted in th Bundesliga at 19 for Borussia Moenchengladbach. Established as first choice at 20. Signed pre-contract with Barca at 21. Moved to Barca for £9.7m

Bernd Leno

Debuted in th Bundesliga at 19 for Bayern Leverkusen Moen. Played in te Champions Leage Group Stages at 19. Established as first choice at 20. Signed with Leverkusen until 2017. Featured in Campions League many times

Thibaut Courtois

At 18 won the Belgium League with Genk. 19 Signed for Chelsea. Loaned to Athletico madrid won the Europa League. Kept a clean sheet in the final. Won UEFA Super Cup, La Liga. Belgiums first choice with a load of caps. First Choice with Chelsea

Manual Neur plyed Champions League at 22, David De Ghea shared the goalkeeping honours with Courtious at Athletico. Has 100 EPL appearances and a winners medal by the age of 22. Kasper Schmeical, Joe Hart .There are loads of goalkeepers all playing or having played at much higher levels that the Scottish Championship at 22.

I don't want to see anyof our players fail and i would love to see Ross make it.

Age is no excuse and 22 is not too young for our part time journeyman league.

All this he's young at 22 stuff does my head in. We are talking about the Scottish Championship. A league with 3 part time teams in it. A league on par (outside Hearts Hibs and Rangers this year ) with the conference leagues in England. Being only 22 didn't stop De Ghea at Man U to or Courtious at Athletico and Chelsea. I could understand being too young for the Premier League or Bundesliga. The fact is keepers play at levels miles above us at 22.

I will give you the top 3 who pop up on most lists:

Marc-Andre ter Stegen

Debuted in th Bundesliga at 19 for Borussia Moenchengladbach. Established as first choice at 20. Signed pre-contract with Barca at 21. Moved to Barca for £9.7m

Bernd Leno

Debuted in th Bundesliga at 19 for Bayern Leverkusen Moen. Played in te Champions Leage Group Stages at 19. Established as first choice at 20. Signed with Leverkusen until 2017. Featured in Campions League many times

Thibaut Courtois

At 18 won the Belgium League with Genk. 19 Signed for Chelsea. Loaned to Athletico madrid won the Europa League. Kept a clean sheet in the final. Won UEFA Super Cup, La Liga. Belgiums first choice with a load of caps. First Choice with Chelsea

Manual Neur plyed Champions League at 22, David De Ghea shared the goalkeeping honours with Courtious at Athletico. Has 100 EPL appearances and a winners medal by the age of 22. Kasper Schmeical, Joe Hart .There are loads of goalkeepers all playing or having played at much higher levels that the Scottish Championship at 22.

I don't want to see anyof our players fail and i would love to see Ross make it.

Age is no excuse and 22 is not too young for our part time journeyman league.

Age absolutely is an excuse, for a goalkeeper. More than any other position, experience and judgement are vital attributes for keepers. There's so much more than goalkeepers have to learn, rather than be taught.

It's true, the very best goalkeepers tend to have played at a decent level from a young age (Buffon debuted at 17, I'm sure), but how much of that is keepers playing young because they're great, or keepers being great because they played young?

However, you're talking about the elite. With the greatest will in the world, Raith Rovers are highly unlikely to produce one of the world's top three keepers. Frankly, we don't need to. We need to produce a keeper to compete in the Scottish Championship. All goalkeepers make mistakes, particularly young goalkeepers, and those who haven't had a prolonged run of games, or are behind a settled defence. It's far, far too early to say that Ross Laidlaw doesn't have what it takes.

That's not to say that I think he's brilliant, by the way. I was one of the very, very few Rovers supporters who consistently backed Lee Robinson last season. I just think it's very unfair to discard Ross Laidlaw because he's not the finished article at age 22. Very, very few goalkeepers are.