The New Raith Rovers Thread

Ex Raith right back Craig Wilson rumoured to be on his way to Arbroath,hopefully he can still do a job in League 2.

One of my favourite right backs in recent times.

Brilliant when bombing down the right wing in his prime.

He was kinda stifled when we were promoted again due to McGlynn understandably looking to keep things a bit tighter at the back.

Darren Petrie will be signing today and Martin Scott is moving on. Both stories in today's Courier and supported by quotes from McKinnon and Scott.

Well, Scott didn't set the Heather alight, doubt we'll miss him and I doubt he'll miss us. Petrie though? As Alan Young might say: HHHHHMMMMM

Ex Raith right back Craig Wilson rumoured to be on his way to Arbroath,hopefully he can still do a job in League 2.

Good player with us, always struggled with how he went from fist choice right back at a championship club that had finished second that year, to hardly getting a game at Forfar to out of the senior game all in 14 months or so....

Glad to see Scott move on. A signing I genuinely thought would be a good one, but what a disappointment when his only real achievement here was not getting sent off despite it looking highly likely on a number of occasions.

Very underwhelmed with the Petrie signing given the tepid reports.

Edited by Michael W

Very surprised at Raith taking a punt on Petrie. He never got all that much of a chance with us last season but when he did he was pretty hopeless.

He was very highly rated a few years ago, came through the Utd youth ranks with Gauld and Soutter etc. Think he got a really bad injury and hasn't been the same since. There's clearly a player in there somewhere.

I genuinely hope he does well and that's despite him turning in the most heartless performance I've seen from a Sons player. It's never nice to hear about a promising youngsters career being ruined by injury but I fear that might be why a 'tough tackling midfielder' spent his time with us avoiding the ball and running away from tackles. A good run of games at first team level might be what he needs.

Only 19 and former U/19 Scotland captain. McKinnon thinks highly of him but we'll just have to wait and see - link.

He's also likely cheap.

With Scott, Conroy and Fox gone we will need most of a new midfield - Petrie will now be part of that, but will he offer something that Matthews won't? We need at least one experienced player in there you'd think.....

It's never nice to hear about a promising youngsters career being ruined by injury but I fear that might be why a 'tough tackling midfielder' spent his time with us avoiding the ball and running away from tackles.

South stand will be on his back in nae time if he does that. #PrayforPetrie

Not bothered about Scott moving on. It just didn't happen for him at Starks Park.

Albeit I only saw him in the final game of the season, Matthews looked significantly better than anything Petrie produced in all of his time with us.

That's the only time we've seen him as well. He got an injury time cameo the last game of last season against Livingston, but never featured at all this season until the final game where he got his debut start.

Spence tweeted Cardle and said "see you at the same job centre on Monday?"

Cardle replied " Maybe the same team pal?"

Are they both coming back here or are they both going to the pars? :lol:

Cardle won't drop down that far and I genuinely wouldn't want Spence back.

Albeit I only saw him in the final game of the season, Matthews looked significantly better than anything Petrie produced in all of his time with us.

That's what makes it such a "meh" signing - we already have a 19 year old holding midfielder.

At the minute, our matchday squad will look something like:

Mcgurn

Thomson

Barr

------

Mckeown

------

Callachan

Petrie

------

Vaughan

Stewart

We still need at least:

2 CB's unless hill and Watson re-sign

3 Wingers, 2 if Anderson resigns

1 experienced CM

2 Strikers

And Somebody who can cover fullback positions

So we still a need a minimum of 9 more players IMO but saying that I expect Bates, Robertson and Matthews to try and push through this season as well after hearing that Mckinnon takes a keen interest in the youths.

That's the only time we've seen him as well. He got an injury time cameo the last game of last season against Livingston, but never featured at all this season until the final game where he got his debut start.

Matthews and Bates had a decent outing against Edinburgh City, it's a pity he had to wait anothe 46 games to get a start.

I've spoken to guy I know very well at Dundee Utd who works with youth. Petrie was very highly thought of and many are surprised he's been released. Been told that so long as he stays fit there's player in there and he'll do a good job.

He certainly can't be any worse than Fox and Scott and will be cheaper than both. Also McKinnon clearly thinks there's talent there but we'll have to wait and see.