The New Raith Rovers Thread

Highlight of the year so far.

Surprised the DFC website omitted to mention the one goal he managed in his 21 appearances.

A more overrated player I've yet to see. Not even convinced he will make a career out of full time football.

Highlight of the year so far.

Surprised the DFC website omitted to mention the one goal he managed in his 21 appearances.

A more overrated player I've yet to see. Not even convinced he will make a career out of full time football.

I know what you and many others are saying but look at Barrie McKay....many a similar thing said about him and look at him now.

I know what you and many others are saying but look at Barrie McKay....many a similar thing said about him and look at him now.

A fair point, and there is the possibility that Wighton may still thrive in more familiar surroundings.

The biggest difference between the two is that McKay had a massive attitude problem. I'm not sure that is true of Wighton.

Was happy to give Wighton a chance until yesterday, perhaps he knew he was leaving as he pretty clearly couldn't be arsed. Or perhaps it was the final straw for McKinnon. Either way, the money will definitely be better spent elsewhere, and for Wighton himself perhaps its better to get back to what he knows at Dundee.

A huge disappointment all round but no ill feeling. Not comparable to McKay was was clearly a talented player but a complete ned.

A fair point, and there is the possibility that Wighton may still thrive in more familiar surroundings.

The biggest difference between the two is that McKay had a massive attitude problem. I'm not sure that is true of Wighton.

I think the problem with wighton has been his confidence... He looks like a lost little boy. Don't think it helped when he was taken down and he got stretchered off during pre season against Aberdeen. If he has went on a Wee goal scoring run then it could have been a different story. Your right about McKay as he did show flashes of real talent.... But so did wighton when he played against us... When the loan deal was announced it did create a bit of excitement amongst the fans.

I think the problem with wighton has been his confidence... He looks like a lost little boy. Don't think it helped when he was taken down and he got stretchered off during pre season against Aberdeen. If he has went on a Wee goal scoring run then it could have been a different story. Your right about McKay as he did show flashes of real talent.... But so did wighton when he played against us... When the loan deal was announced it did create a bit of excitement amongst the fans.

I thought he would be a real coup for us. Perhaps the expectation weighed too heavily on him. I thought maybe when he got that first goal against Alloa he would kick on but it never happened. Maybe a bit of self doubt crept in but barring a couple of cameos from the bench he was completely ineffective.

Either way I'm glad we've moved on. I was worried we would end up keeping him due to Daly leaving but it's hard to see how that would have been of benefit to either party.

Wighton, as far as I can see, isn't suited to being played up top and through the middle, he's got fantastic close control (even against hibs he turned two players on the centre circle before releasing a pass out onto the left which was unfortunately beyond our guy) but doesn't have the physique or the pace to go with it, so he get's bullied off the ball when his back is to goal, and can't outrun a defender when playing off the last man. There is surely a confidence thing as well, as he does actively seem to want to hide from the ball - compared to Vaughan or Stewart who would always demand the ball.

He's still got a decent career ahead of him, but surely a wee bit further back on the pitch - if he bulks up a bit he can be a pretty effective attacking midfielder, as a link up player he'll eventually be pretty decent, but he was way out of his depth playing up top in the championship.

Barrie McKay was much more effective than Wighton. McKay would do fine at a club where he wasn't having to carry out any defensive duties. He scored a few goals for us and they were decent efforts. From memory, Stirling away in the Cup and Hibs at home.

What did Wighton offer? Unless he improves he'll do the well trodden journey of being released, moving to some lower league senior club (e.g. Montrose) and then if he fails there, straight off to some junior mob or possibly out the game altogether. Maybe he just didn't like slumming it at Rovers.

Constructive criticism for Wighton would be: get yourself to the gym, you're too lightweight; get back some hunger for the game, you don't appear interested.

Edited by Scary Bear

I'm really gutted that Wighton didn't work out.

I remember when he came on for Dundee against us, he looked swift and direct. Unfortunately we never saw any of that. As someone above mentions the early injury may not have helped along with our switch to a more aerial approach.

However, wish him all the best. No doubt he'll go an tear up the premier league and score a hat trick at Celtic Park before relegating Dundee United.