The New Raith Rovers Thread

If I was running the club and we couldn't sell out the South Stand, I'd have no problem in selling them to the opposition. Obviously there would need to be segregation etc. The club need to maximise revenue.

Segregation = extra stewards + policing costs = revenue not going to the club. Better then to skip segregation and give all the ground to Rangers, just tell rovers fans not to bother turning up on the day in order to maximise revenue, no? A Rangers pound is as good as a Rovers pound after all.

Edited by renton

If we get 1000 more tickets sold then that's 20k revenue. For it to not be worth our while we would need around 80 season ticket holders to take that big a huff that they never come back.

Milk them for all we can before they finally move on

If we get 1000 more tickets sold then that's 20k revenue. For it to not be worth our while we would need around 80 season ticket holders to take that big a huff that they never come back.

Milk them for all we can before they finally move on

The point being, if part of the home end is deemed available to punt folk out of, why not all of it? I don't doubt the necessity of trying to make as much money as possible but the club still needs to have some values beyond where the next buck is coming from. One of those should be a modicum of respect for it's own support, and indeed for itself.

Edited by renton

Segregation = extra stewards + policing costs = revenue not going to the club. Better then to skip segregation and give all the ground to Rangers, just tell rovers fans not to bother turning up on the day in order to maximise revenue, no? A Rangers pound is as good as a Rovers pound after all.

That's just being plain ridiculous.

I usually sit in the main stand and it tends to be quite mixed as it is. Players families etc from the opposition sit there so it's not like it's a 'home' stand anyway.

Well, it kinda is. Rovers fans buy season tickets for that stand so it is a "Home stand"

Given the ridiculous amount of Police presence at the last game, I reckon any extra income will go on funding them. If a half empty South Stand needed 10 PC's, surely we will need at least that again plus stewarding for the Main Stand?

That's just being plain ridiculous.

I usually sit in the main stand and it tends to be quite mixed as it is. Players families etc from the opposition sit there so it's not like it's a 'home' stand anyway.

No it isn't - if your end point is the maximisation of revenue, then that's the logical outcome, minimises policing/stewards and fills the ground. That's where the whole argument points towards, even if you want to give part of the south stand away, how much - a third, a half? ration the home fans to one section?

Fife Free Press this morning reporting that in addition to McDermid & Key-Tech Stand, Rangers fans will be accommodated in the Turnbull Hutton (Main) Stand on 2nd April & season ticket holders in there will be relocated to the South Stand (the only home support stand on the day), the reason given that demand may be higher than usual as they could be close to winning the league.

Not sure about this myself, we all know the kind of behaviour they're infamous for so I hope that there's plenty police around at the ramp outside the South/Main stands, it's a different kettle of fish putting 100 or so Alloa fans in the corner of that stand than it is giving the whole stand to Rangers fans.

If this turns out to be true the board should hang their heads in shame. If I was a season ticket holder in that stand and was asked to move, just so the club could make a quick buck, then I'd have to give serious consideration to whether or not I went back. There will be guys in that stand who have had season tickets there for years and years and it's out of order for them to be asked to move.

I'm a main stand season ticket holder, but luckily I don't go to Rangers games anyway so that saves me having to decide how I might have felt about being shifted.

I think I'd probably have understood, in any case. If there is indeed going to be a higher than usual demand from Rangers fans then we have to face the reality that home end tickets (south and main stands) will end up going to Rangers fans in any case, however you try to police it, with all the safety issues that creates. To concentrate the much smaller number of home fans in a single stand is probably the best way to handle it. (It's possible this may even be on police advice, or at least in consultation with them.)

I'm a main stand season ticket holder, but luckily I don't go to Rangers games anyway so that saves me having to decide how I might have felt about being shifted.

I think I'd probably have understood, in any case. If there is indeed going to be a higher than usual demand from Rangers fans then we have to face the reality that home end tickets (south and main stands) will end up going to Rangers fans in any case, however you try to police it, with all the safety issues that creates. To concentrate the much smaller number of home fans in a single stand is probably the best way to handle it. (It's possible this may even be on police advice, or at least in consultation with them.)

It did say in the article "following consultation with Police Scotland"

Take it the club aren't expecting the team to be challenging for a top 4 slot at the start of April? Could be a higher than normal demand for tickets from Rovers fans if we are. Bit early to be making this call.

The sooner the tribute act are out of this league the better.

Was just about to make this same point. We would effectively be losing out on a home match just to make a quick buck or two. As others have said why don't we just cut the South Stand in half and give them that as well if we want to "maximise income"!

We rejected the notion of playing the Ramsdens Cup final at Ibrox and said it wasn't about the money. Clearly things must have changed since then...

Was just about to make this same point. We would effectively be losing out on a home match just to make a quick buck or two. As others have said why don't we just cut the South Stand in half and give them that as well if we want to "maximise income"!

We rejected the notion of playing the Ramsdens Cup final at Ibrox and said it wasn't about the money. Clearly things must have changed since then...

Exactly, going to be entry from pretty much same area anyway, give them the half nearest the railway therefore ensuring that the 200 Club is still available for members.

No it isn't - if your end point is the maximisation of revenue, then that's the logical outcome, minimises policing/stewards and fills the ground. That's where the whole argument points towards, even if you want to give part of the south stand away, how much - a third, a half? ration the home fans to one section?

No it isn't. Banning home fans from a game is ridiculous. If you want your point of view to be taken seriously then at least try to use a bit of sense.

The home fans should be allowed as many tickets as they are going to sell. If we could sell 6 thousand tickets then great, Rangers could have whatever was left. That would be great!

Realistically we can only sell 2 thousand if we are lucky. If Rangers can sell the rest then it makes perfect business sense! Morals are great if you can afford them. We can't! We are a business after all and need to behave like one.

No it isn't. Banning home fans from a game is ridiculous. If you want your point of view to be taken seriously then at least try to use a bit of sense.

The home fans should be allowed as many tickets as they are going to sell. If we could sell 6 thousand tickets then great, Rangers could have whatever was left. That would be great!

Realistically we can only sell 2 thousand if we are lucky. If Rangers can sell the rest then it makes perfect business sense! Morals are great if you can afford them. We can't! We are a business after all and need to behave like one.

It's simply the end point of an argument that starts when we begin pandering to the away team. If you aren't going to set out clearly what the home end is, and stick by that - if your going to shunt season ticket holders out of their spots to make way for the Rangers Kirkcaldy supporters club, then what's the fucking point? If the only thing that matters is making more and more money, why bother with home fans if there is a greater certainty of filling the space with away fans? That's what happens if you want to treat it as a business only. If you give them the main stand, then start giving away parts of the south stand, how much? and at what point do you start making assumptions about tickets sold etc.

Morals aren't just an optional extra here - football clubs need a sense of culture and values beyond simple business, it's about giving Rangers a fair allocation but having enough about ourselves to try and sell it to Rovers fans as something they should turn up for, not just turn over the majority of the stadium to them for a title party.

Edited by renton

It made "perfect business sense" for Liverpool to increase the price of tickets to £77 for rich tourists would have paid it. What they didn't consider was the average fan who goes to the match every week.

How about we just move the match to ibrox instead and split the gate? The would solve any segregation issues and we'd make even more dosh!

As I mentioned as well it made "perfect business sense" to have the Ramsdens Cup Final at Ibrox.

You're talking about business but clearly don't have a clue how to run one. Yes we could maybe make slightly more money that day by giving them the main stand but what would the effect in the long run be? A club once again distancing itself from the community and bending over to take one just for a quickie.

Yes the club is a business and yes there are things that should be done differently but this idea would just be insane.

Edited by Ding Dang Doo