The New Raith Rovers Thread

I fail to see how today will give us a clear indication as to where we are, haven't we all agree teams are treating this cup competition (at this point anyway) as pre season games [emoji6]

Agreed. We won't get an indication of how we'll do until the league season starts.

We humped Ross County 4-1 in Dingwall a few seasons ago in this cup. Funnily enough we didn't do much in the league that season, but Brian Graham scored a barrow load of goals.

I think realistically the only real unkowns are costrain, yaw and maybe skacel though the latter has to show only his age is still not against him. Both the other lads have shown great potential and its up to the manager and coaches to bring out that potential.

On your comparisons mchattie mvoto mcmanus yaw roberts. costrain barr johnston and skacel are certainly no worse than those they replaced. and are superior to those they replaced

but its how they gel as a team that matters and only time can answer that question. So i suggest we are a stronger team overall.

Edited by Varna Rover

6 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

What's happening with BeckenBarr and is there an indication when he'll be available?

Is this another season where he'll put in an appearance about February?

I think realistically the only real unkowns are costrain, yaw and maybe skacel though the latter has to show only his age is still not against him. Both the other lads have shown great potential and its up to the manager and coaches to bring out that potential.

On your comparisons mchattie mvoto mcmanus yaw roberts. costrain barr johnston and skacel are certainly no worse than those they replaced. and are probably superior to those they replaced

but its how they gel as a team that matters and only time can answer that question. So i suggest we are a stronger team overal.

as for barr the gaffer said he would be ok within 2 weeks.

Edited by Varna Rover

I really admire your positivity so fair play to you for that but I can't agree. 

M'Voto has got a decent pedigree but you can't possibly say he is better than Toshney at the moment. We've barely seen him so far.

Also Roberts has played 30 minutes there's no way we can say he is better than Craigen just now. They are both unknowns. 

Johnston is probably the signing I was most excited about and he definitely has the potential to replace Connolly but he's just back from a long term injury so it's still relatively unknown how well he'll do.

Dont want to try and a dampen you enthusiasm, Stark's would be a better place on a Saturday if everyone was as positive as you but I think it's far too soon to be getting carried away. All the signings, while promising, still have a lot to prove.

Edited by R.R.FC

3 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I really admire your positivity so fair play to you for that but I can't agree. 

M'Voto has got a decent pedigree but you can't possibly say he is better than Toshney at the moment. We've barely seen him so far.

Also Roberts has played 30 minutes there's no way we can say he is better than Craigen just now. They are both unknowns. 

Johnston is probably the signing I was most excited about and he definitely has the potential to replace Connolly but he's just back from a long term injury so it's still relatively unknown how well he'll do.

Dont want to try and a dampen you enthusiasm, Stark's would be a better place on a Saturday if everyone was as positive as you but I think it's far too soon to be getting carried away. All the signings, while promising, still have a lot to prove.

Its all about opinions my friend, but thanks for your reply. As i said, its how they gel as a team that matters now for me. Time will tell.

Biggest difference I see is Cuthbert not punting the ball up the park it's always played from the fullbacks onwards, obviously credit must be paid to Locke on the change of tactics. Montrose was my first game and already see a difference in the quality of crosses in from wide positions involving Johnston /Barr . looking at other teams in the championship I feel Locke has recruited fairly well and notice some of our rivals look a bit light weight at the moment , Queens, Morton, and to a lesser extent Falkirk who I believe have lost 2 of their best players in Vaulks and Alston. I think it's wide open this year with a number of teams capable of the play offs will it be Rovers who knows but certainly it's going to be a cracking season ahead.

We have far too many unknown quantities to even attempt to compare the squads. Six of our first team either missed virtually all of last season or have never played first-team football (Vaughan, Johnston, Skacel, Osei, Coultrain, Roberts). Others missed a fair chunk of it (C. Barr, M'Voto, Robertson, McHattie) be it through injury or poor form.

Nobody really knows how we'll do. I'm happy enough with the squad but I was generally pleased with Grant Murray's summer signings too, and we were constantly awful.
I still think McKinnon will be our biggest loss.

We've played friendlies which mean absolutely nothing and have had two tight wins over teams well below us, played in virtual friendly circumstance. Let's see how it goes and not get carried away too much either way.

Whats coming accross here is most of you are cautiously optimistic which is not a bad thing at all. But GL is now our manager and we have to be positive especially with those new signings. Its no good going to matches with anything other than total optimism which will get through to the players on the park. A good atmosphere at starks is worth a 1 or 2 goal start in any game.

A friend of mine spoke to Matthews who said Skacel is many weeks away yet from being match fit.

As should be expected. He's initially going to have an excellent level of fitness, but he'll need edged in.

Incidentally, I think we'll miss Craigen hugely this season. He's the first goal scoring midfielder we've had in years and did really well getting forward.

As should be expected. He's initially going to have an excellent level of fitness, but he'll need edged in.

Incidentally, I think we'll miss Craigen hugely this season. He's the first goal scoring midfielder we've had in years and did really well getting forward.

On the plus side Matthews also said Skacels ability with his left foot has been unreal in training.

Maybe thats why young mathews says hes not match fit when the gaffer has said he is very fit. Two midfielders in competition for a starting place. :rolleyes:

Matthews and Scacel won't be fighting for the same place.. At the minute, Scacel would be fighting Callachan and Matthews would be fighting Davo for the places..

Looks like we're going for a 4-2-3-1 today? 

Callahan Vaughan Barr 

in behind McManus? I'm pretty happy with that team must be pretty close to our best 11 except for probably Johnson in ahead of Ross.