The New Raith Rovers Thread

Considering McKinnon beat Cowden and Albion Rovers at this point, and Locke has beaten Cove and Montrose, I don't think we've seen anything yet to really compare the two. I'm merely happy we didn't go down the route of signing players who he'd taken to Killie and failed with before. The only concerns have been the lack of creativity in midfield (which you'd expect Rudi to help with to some degree, and regardless, Ross Callachan hasn't been nearly as bad as made out, and has had a degree of influence in both games), and that we lacked options up top (which has been addressed by McManus signing). 

Ray did poorly up until the back of February, both having a winless streak and an even stronger winning streak. His legacy of getting us to the playoffs was built on his signings in January, and having a strong defence at his disposal. Time will tell how Locke will do. I was hugely critical of the appointment. I'm not going to go back on anything I've said. But what I will say is that I've been surprised by some of the signings we've made. Osei in particular, reminds me of a slightly less physically built Gregory Tade when he first signed. He has probably unparalleled pace at this level, but looks very rough in terms of finishing. I'm looking forward to seeing Coustrain and M'Voto in the future too. It'll be interesting how we do when we're up against teams at our own level, in particular those against Hibs, Dundee United, Falkirk and St Mirren.

I'd probably say a mid table finish is on the cards this season, more down to the average quality in the league increasing (Pars in place of Alloa, Ayr replacing Livi, with only United being weaker than Rangers and St Mirren being more settled under Rae). 

I'm never a fan of new managers signing a shed load of former players.

There are plenty good young players and seasoned pro's out there.

I think the game up here often lacks imagination and an element of risk taking.

You lot should sign Josh Falkingham, I wish we'd never let him go.

Edited by Shooboax

11 minutes ago, rw89 said:

Considering McKinnon beat Cowden and Albion Rovers at this point, and Locke has beaten Cove and Montrose, I don't think we've seen anything yet to really compare the two. I'm merely happy we didn't go down the route of signing players who he'd taken to Killie and failed with before. The only concerns have been the lack of creativity in midfield (which you'd expect Rudi to help with to some degree, and regardless, Ross Callachan hasn't been nearly as bad as made out, and has had a degree of influence in both games), and that we lacked options up top (which has been addressed by McManus signing). 

Ray did poorly up until the back of February, both having a winless streak and an even stronger winning streak. His legacy of getting us to the playoffs was built on his signings in January, and having a strong defence at his disposal. Time will tell how Locke will do. I was hugely critical of the appointment. I'm not going to go back on anything I've said. But what I will say is that I've been surprised by some of the signings we've made. Osei in particular, reminds me of a slightly less physically built Gregory Tade when he first signed. He has probably unparalleled pace at this level, but looks very rough in terms of finishing. I'm looking forward to seeing Coustrain and M'Voto in the future too. It'll be interesting how we do when we're up against teams at our own level, in particular those against Hibs, Dundee United, Falkirk and St Mirren.

I'd probably say a mid table finish is on the cards this season, more down to the average quality in the league increasing (Pars in place of Alloa, Ayr replacing Livi, with only United being weaker than Rangers and St Mirren being more settled under Rae). 

Its not that we beat two lower teams than ourselves that has impressed me with lock. He has made what appears to be some outstanding signings And his clear non excuses at our shortcomings. Theirs no bull or media patter with him, just upfront honesty. We should soon see just how well he can motivate this squad and how he lines up against other teams. Yes he still on trial but thinga look far more positive at this stage than last year.

Its not that we beat two lower teams than ourselves that has impressed me with lock. He has made what appears to be some outstanding signings And his clear non excuses at our shortcomings. Theirs no bull or media patter with him, just upfront honesty. We should soon see just how well he can motivate this squad and how he lines up against other teams. Yes he still on trial but thinga look far more positive at this stage than last year.

Outstanding? Really?

To be fair, out of those four only Petrie was really uninspiring at the time.

Fair point.

I do however think that Osei and McManus will be a massive step up on Daly and Wighton, Coustrain and Johnstone will be a massive step up on Petrie and Megginson and I'm hoping Skacel has even half the ability he had 6 years ago and if he does he'll be a massive upgrade on McCord..

It's all Ifs and Maybes though but I am 100% more confident this year at this stage than I was at this point last year..

It's all about opinions though mate..

I think a lot of people do forget how many question marks were raised over how we'd do under Ray. He'd only finished in the playoffs with Brechin, and had experience at the SFA coaching, but was untested at this level. It worked out well for us in the end where we got to. Certainly in terms of his signings, Locke has surpassed my expectations. We've signed an ex-international who isn't so much in the twilight of his career, but a minute to midnight in his career, an ex-Irish u19 internationalist, an ex-SPL winger who has a point to prove after a severe injury and an ex-Reading academy player among others. I genuinely expected Hamill, Carrick and Robinson. 

I'm never a fan of new managers signing a shed load of former players.

There are plenty good young players and seasoned pro's out there.

I think the game up here often lacks imagination and an element of risk taking.

You lot should sign Josh Falkingham, I wish we'd never let him go.

Lod Locke singed 9 players 2/9 are over 25

Your gonna get yo season tickets worth yo. I'm I wrong in thinking we have a starting 11 and a strong bench? When was the last time we had faith with the bench?

We have a far stronger squad than last year, all we need now is for our manager to bring out the best in them. Their is absolutely no reason why we cant be a top 4 championship side again this year.

Stronger than the start of last season but not as good as the squad we finished last season with.

9 minutes ago, Martin Nelson said:

Stronger than the start of last season but not as good as the squad we finished last season with.

Well MN/AU thats a matter for debate. Todays game will or should give us a good idea of this squads potential. Remember we should not need any more signings for this season, barring major injury problems. I suggest this squad is the strongest we have had in many years including the squad that  finished the last half of last season.

Even treated as a feindly its all about gelling and competivness, but i suggest RC will field a very strong team today because they will want to defend their trophy from last year. This will be more of a cup tie than a pre season friendly.

Lennox - McGurn/Law/Laidlaw

McHattie - McKeown

M'Voto - Toshney

Barr - Longridge

Johnston - Connolly

McManus - Hardie

Coustrain - Anderson

Skacel - Panayiotou

Osei - Thomas

Roberts - Craigen

I've probably missed a few obvious ones out (not including the likes of Petrie/McCord who had little to no game time at the end of the season). But that's a quick comparison between the players we finished the season with and the players who replaced them. Lot more outgoings than I realised. You could argue having Vaughan back is like a new addition to the squad this year.

Obviously, some of the match ups aren't direct replacements. However, looking at that you have to say the jury is out on whether we currently have a stronger squad. I don't think we do, there's a few too many unknowns to be getting carried away about after the games we have played so far. 

There is certainly the potential in the current squad and I'm feeling a lot more confident about this season that I was when Locke was appointed. But it's far too soon to say this is our best squad in years. I personally think we will still finish around 5th/6th this year.

Edited by R.R.FC