The New Raith Rovers Thread

19 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Are we all more confident about the coming season now?

When is Rudi Rudi going to make his debut?

Well a top 6 premiership team and we outplayed them basically, i would say we should all feel a lot more confident.

Well a top 6 premiership team and we outplayed them basically, i would say we should all feel a lot more confident.

Early days. I'll wait and see where we are come the end of August. Looking at the fixtures it's a tough league again this year.

Still, great result today.

Was really impressed with Rovers today. Looked really solid at the back, and shielded brilliantly by Callachan and Davidson.

Looked really sharp on the break, and McManus and Vaughan really linked up well together.

Barr was another stand-out again, and when you look at the substitutes we brought on, with Johnston, Stewart and Roberts, the depth looks impressive, especially considering Craig Barr, Robertson and Skacel are all out at the moment.

Early days, but that performance was really encouraging.

17 minutes ago, Martin Nelson said:

There were a number of wins from Championship sides against Premiership sides today.

All we've learned so far this pre-season is that the new league cup format is a joke that few sides seem to be taking seriously.

Well MN thats your view and i respect it, but what it has really shown is that the gulf between the spl and championship is very small and that most clubs in our division would not look out of place up their. I would disagree that many clubs are treating this as pre season games. Its just excuses in advance before the big ones topple.

Really what today has shown is the league format is utter rubbish and really has to be cut from 4 divisions down to two divisions.

That'll be Callachan being called out again as the best player on the park by opposition fans. Just the latest in a long line of young Rovers players who've come through the youth set up only to be targeted by the fans.

Callachan is a funny one. He's still young, but at the same time has a lot of first team appearances and experience under his belt. So it can be frustrating when he is so lax in possession...or gives the ball away very needlessly.

Having analysed quite a few games last season, I saw it time and again...particularly his short passing. Also he could do with really practising his shooting. 

His attitude to the game is spot on though. 

I see he missed his penalty as well...

Great result though. Slight blip against Forfar in our first game back for pre season, but even the size of the squad between then and now is quite significant. 

That'll be Callachan being called out again as the best player on the park by opposition fans. Just the latest in a long line of young Rovers players who've come through the youth set up only to be targeted by the fans.

Why should it matter that he came through the youth set up? He's getting paid to do a job the same as every other player on the pitch.

I wasn't there today so can't comment on him today but if he was the best player on the park, as stated by county fans, then good one him, I hope he keeps it up. If he was to resort back to the striking a ball from 30 yards( that every single time, goes nowhere near the target) every time he picks it up out there, then he will be rightfully slated for it just like if McHattie or Johnstone done it all the time..

He's not considered a young rovers player anymore either. At 22 year old, with that much experience under his belt now, with the potential everyone knows he has, he should be doing a lot better than he is. He should be strolling every game in this league now.

I hope he does keep up this good form though and we can enjoy watching his performances again.. :)

Probably because most of them have been not very good?

I can't think of a single one who has been unfairly treated.

Well MN thats your view and i respect it, but what it has really shown is that the gulf between the spl and championship is very small and that most clubs in our division would not look out of place up their. I would disagree that many clubs are treating this as pre season games. Its just excuses in advance before the big ones topple.

Really what today has shown is the league format is utter rubbish and really has to be cut from 4 divisions down to two divisions.

The results of the play offs suggest otherwise. When the chips are down and a result is needed the top league team invariably comes through easily.

5 minutes ago, Growl3th said:

Strictly speaking he didn't miss.  It was saved.

Well yeah, but he still missed because he never converted. If you miss a sitter, and the keeper saves it, it's the same principle, you still missed it.