The New Raith Rovers Thread

I well remember heading down South for our double header with Southport and Chester under McGlynn about 10 years ago.

Both games were postponed due to waterlogged pitches and I'm sure we ended up playing Southport on an all weather pitch at the last minute which made it impossible to get to at short notice. A decent weekend all the same, but not from a football perspective, and one that must've cost the club a fair bit.

Yeah I went down to this and stayed in Chester. Luckily the re-arranged game ended up being about 15 minutes away in a taxi.
Was a bit of a farce though, was played at a pitch similar to one at the michael woods centre, with the handful of supporters just standing on the touchline. Southport turned up with 9 players, we had to give them 2 and ended up losing 3-0. Seem to recall Jamie Mackie scoring a roaster.

1 hour ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

It's a game against our rivals. What's friendly about it? emoji23.png

Its a game that means absolutely f**k all. Anyone treating this as any sort of derby needs their head tested.

Friendlies decrease in importance in direct correlation to age in my case. Can remember getting excited about playing Hartlepool in the 70s, then a wee spell when the likes of Swansea and second division Chelsea came to Starks. Otherwise 99% of theses games are torture to watch. The likes of Stranraer v Twente are the rare exception - it would maybe attract interest if we were to try for an Ingolstadt game (local business our council putting a trophy up?) or get Arsenal u23 up to mark the connection historically between the club's. 

8 minutes ago, fcrover said:

Friendlies decrease in importance in direct correlation to age in my case. Can remember getting excited about playing Hartlepool in the 70s, then a wee spell when the likes of Swansea and second division Chelsea came to Starks. Otherwise 99% of theses games are torture to watch. The likes of Stranraer v Twente are the rare exception - it would maybe attract interest if we were to try for an Ingolstadt game (local business our council putting a trophy up?) or get Arsenal u23 up to mark the connection historically between the club's. 

I remember Southend was about the same time, however, player/manager Bobby Charlton's Preston North End tearing us a new one has to be one of the best friendlies I've seen.

Newcatle against us I think as part of the Paul Sweeney transfer deal and the Newcastle centre forward banging in four goals I seem to recall.  For the life of me I can't remember his name age is a funny thing.  Beating Chealsea when they had Micky Droy at centre half who according to the press was going to be the next England centre half he was crap 3-2 for the Rovers I think.

Friendlies were always shite, and have decreased in the minds of spectators even more since the format change of the League Cup, which itself is now pretty much pre-season. 

I remember us playing Fulham at Starks Park in a friendly, which is probably the last time we had interesting opposition. Ian Cameron scored an early goal for us which I missed as I was in a queue at the turnstile, and then we got spanked 4-1. Some random English bloke in front of me spent much of the game shouting abuse at Kit Symons. 

What the f**k do I remember pointless stuff like this? :lol:

Edited by Michael W

I remember Southend was about the same time, however, player/manager Bobby Charlton's Preston North End tearing us a new one has to be one of the best friendlies I've seen.

The PNE game was 1974 I think? Charlton hit either a 30 yard shot or free kick, never seen a ball hit so hard.

Newcatle against us I think as part of the Paul Sweeney transfer deal and the Newcastle centre forward banging in four goals I seem to recall.  For the life of me I can't remember his name age is a funny thing.  Beating Chealsea when they had Micky Droy at centre half who according to the press was going to be the next England centre half he was crap 3-2 for the Rovers I think.

Newcastle striker was Mickey Quinn.

You if anyone should remember the name of the Newcastle centre forward who scored a hat-trick's autobiography was called 'Who Ate All the Pies'.

Mick Quinn