The New Raith Rovers Thread

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Just me who took the "that cover is in place" line as code for we're signing someone of that ilk today?

I just remembered that line from Sim where he mused that bringing in a loan player might be stunting the development of our own youths. I kinda figure he'll expect Smith to make up the slack from the U20s

9 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

I feel Matthews is a very good passer of the ball playing in front of the back four. A completely different type of a player. I hope they don't to put him in the place of Callachan and expect the same from him.

I dunno, I think he has it in him to play as a box to box midfielder, and leave Robertson to do the sitting role. He played in a more advanced position at the end of last season and looked decent enough. Fact is, he'll have to.

I just remembered that line from Sim where he mused that bringing in a loan player might be stunting the development of our own youths. I kinda figure he'll expect Smith to make up the slack from the U20s

To be fair, we do need to bring through more youth players. How else will get more 'undisclosed fee' transfers?

Does anyone else remember us getting £100k from Hearts for Ian Ferguson back around 1991? What's that in today's money?

The fact that the club won't disclose the fee says it all - sold for buttons, which is what we all feared would happen when we were relegated. 

Or it was part of the agreement between the clubs. We don't know if Hearts wanted it to be undisclosed.

Hearts might not want their fans to see how much they've paid for a League One player. Quick browse on Jambos Kickback will show how "uninspiring" they see this signing to be.

Just me who took the "that cover is in place" line as code for we're signing someone of that ilk today?

Hope you are correct as we are thread bare for cover and while Berry or even Davo might be able to cover a suspension for a game I would be worried if we got an injury with themas the cover. Herron would be a decent signing for our level, can't think of anyone better and available.

Also raging at the can't stand in his way/fulfilling a dream/club he supports pish in that statement. The PR awareness of the club is absolutely pathetic given how badly the same shit went down with fans over the Bates transfer last season. 

If Sim is reading this then put getting someone who can write a press release without pissing off fans at the top of your to do list mate. 

On the plus side, the moaning c***s in our support who hate Callachan and berated his every move will be happy.

The "undisclosed" factor will probably be at Hearts behest, they are struggling to pay for the new stand and have the begging bowls out to the support.

Take that into consideration and imagine how pissed off those fans would be to hear Craig Levein has spunked £1M for Cal to his 1st love in football. :lol:

Herron being lined up to replace him. 

As for the "can't stand in way" quote seems it seems that's from our esteemed chairman Mr Young. Honestly the sooner that guy leaves the club the better.

Edited by Ding Dang Doo

20 minutes ago, JinglinGeordie said:

Or it was part of the agreement between the clubs. We don't know if Hearts wanted it to be undisclosed.

Hearts might not want their fans to see how much they've paid for a League One player. Quick browse on Jambos Kickback will show how "uninspiring" they see this signing to be.

The last time this happened we only found out Bates had been given away because our idiot manager told the press whilst trying to justify the transfer. 

45 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Does anyone else remember us getting £100k from Hearts for Ian Ferguson back around 1991? What's that in today's money?

Not sure about today's money in real terms but in Rovers terms I'm pretty sure it would equate to "undisclosed" in today's money.

Also raging at the can't stand in his way/fulfilling a dream/club he supports pish in that statement. The PR awareness of the club is absolutely pathetic given how badly the same shit went down with fans over the Bates transfer last season. 
If Sim is reading this then put getting someone who can write a press release without pissing off fans at the top of your to do list mate. 
On the plus side, the moaning c***s in our support who hate Callachan and berated his every move will be happy.

Davo will just have to take up the strain, as the fans only remaining scapegoat. Maybe Spence could fill in?

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

The fact that the club won't disclose the fee says it all - sold for buttons, which is what we all feared would happen when we were relegated. 

Very few clubs disclose fees. If indeed it was the rumoured £35k then it's not a bad fee for a player at your level leaving for nothing in the summer. There are some unrealistic valuations floating about this thread (I take the point though that his "worth" may be more staying in the team if he is the difference between promotion and not getting it - that's an impossible case to prove though).

Why couldn't Young have worded his statement like

'We understand the lure for Ross to play in the top league. His importance to us as club captain and to our own aims of promotion ensured we obtained the best possible deal for Raith Rovers'

Let's cut out this can't stand in his way bullshit once and for all

Our board really need to learn to stand in people's way.

Even still, it's done now. We've earned a bit of money which must be invested in the team. Matthews can add to the team, but doesn't really have the same offensive presence as Callachan. Hopefully we pick up Herron or another more attacking minded midfielder.