The New Raith Rovers Thread

I think £35-£50k is probably a fair price but at the moment he is worth more than that to us. We have a miniscule squad as it is, we are now losing our captain (who seems to have managed to foster a togetherness that wasn't there last season) and at this late stage won't be able to get a decent standard of replacement in.

The plus side is that there will be no more need to duck every time Callachan is ready to wind up a 30 yarder.

Callachan has been absolutely fantastic this season, and this certainly harms our chances of going straight back up.

However, out of Benedictus, Callachan and Vaughan if we had to choose one to leave it would be Callachan for me. We have some form of reasonable cover in midfield.

All good and well pointing out we still have Matthews, but CM was about the only area of the team you could point to when asked if we had a quality player on the bench. 

We need a replacement and have next to no time to get one, let alone a decent one. The loan market lottery it is, then. 

All good and well pointing out we still have Matthews, but CM was about the only area of the team you could point to when asked if we had a quality player on the bench. 
We need a replacement and have next to no time to get one, let alone a decent one. The loan market lottery it is, then. 

Let's just wait and see first before jumping to conclusions. Apparently this deal has been going on for a week, I'm sure the board and B. Smith will have a plan up their sleeves in terms of replacing Callachan/adding another player or two to the squad.

Agree with those saying if we had to lose one out of Vaughan, Bene or Callachan then it would be Callachan. He will be a big loss as he's been excellent this season but Matthews is a good player and should step up well.

However, Matthews starting leaves us with no cover for central midfield but also takes away our first choice cover for wide midfield. 

If we could use the money to bring in a good quality central midfielder (Herron) and wide player (Willis Furtado still not got a club? Sure he was highly rated in this league last year) then it's not a total disaster.

The guy wasn't sacked, for that or anything else. I know, because I am the guy.

The programme was brilliant that season. Instead of doing a Q&A with the players it was done with their wives / burds / mums. The Geordie Munro column was superb as well, although he was slightly more censored than during his stint at Starks Bark. Woof!

The programme was brilliant that season. Instead of doing a Q&A with the players it was done with their wives / burds / mums. The Geordie Munro column was superb as well, although he was slightly more censored than during his stint at Starks Bark. Woof!

Cheers fella

Fully expect Ross Matthews to step into the shoes of Callachan right away. More than capable of fulfilling that potential and is a few years younger, too. Would expect captaincy to go to Benedictus.

All the best to Callachan, I wish him every success in his career. The term gets thrown around a lot but a he's been a fantastic servant. Joined aged 13, played right through the youth system and went on to captain the side (albeit short lived). A true product of Raith Rovers.

Matthews is a great player and it's been slightly odd to have probably our best player from last season not playing in the league below. However Callachan is a real box-to-box player which Matthews at this stage isn't. Outside of him/Robertson we only really have Davidson to play CM (aside from Berry and any other u20's?) which is a million miles from ideal.

Presumably we have a replacement at the ready. Good luck to Callachan who's got a great move. I'm not convinced he'll play much for Hearts but he definitely deserves the chance.

Hopefully we hear the fee. Shite news though. 

1 minute ago, Paco said:

Matthews is a great player and it's been slightly odd to have probably our best player from last season not playing in the league below. However Callachan is a real box-to-box player which Matthews at this stage isn't. Outside of him/Robertson we only really have Davidson to play CM (aside from Berry and any other u20's?) which is a million miles from ideal.

Presumably we have a replacement at the ready. Good luck to Callachan who's got a great move. I'm not convinced he'll play much for Hearts but he definitely deserves the chance.

Hopefully we hear the fee. Shite news though. 

There is every chance we don't, and Smith will get told to get on with it with only Robertson, Matthews and Berry. On the other hand, I think Matthews will adapt quite quickly to playing more as a box to box type player than just as a sitting type of player, he's been mostly forced into the latter because others have been first in line for the former duty. When he's played higher up the pitch he's looked handy enough.

Edited by renton

Danny Handling hasn't featured much for Dumbarton, wonder if they would return the favour and loan us Danny for the season?

After all we not only gifted them the means to stay up by loaning Vaughan, we also relieved them on Ryan Stevenson.

Who do we think will be captian now? If we are giving it to a defender, i would say benedictous, seems like he would make a good leader. Callachan is a loss as he was really starting to perform well, he was really good on saturday and the team seemed to be happy together, which partially comes from the captian.