The New Raith Rovers Thread

Socca_G & Enigma both said as much no more than 1 page back. You have been reading the thread, right?

I thought it was aimed at me but good play with words.Keep it up

You're quite correct that there is more to his game but you can't deny the fact that our 2 summer signings (6'2" striker + Joe Hammil's crosses) = headed opportunities in the box. You won't have missed, either, the change in our corner set pieces with Hammil joining Walker in taking them. Not worked so far but you can see the reasoning in a side with few tall players; create some room and try to pick out Ellis & Graham.

So its no longer "Graham has been brought in to convert crosses with his napper. This is why Hammil has been signed, to provide excellent delivery."?

Not too much of a leap of faith to come to that conclusion, no?

Not if you have simplistic view on football.

Edited by Rovers_Lad

I think the problem is that Tade was such a different type of player to Graham in the sense that when Tade picked the ball up outside the box he could beat a player or 2 with his pace and his "skill", then could find Baird waiting in the box for a shot or a rebound. Graham isn't as fast and struggles to beat a player with skill or speed which leaves Baird to do the hard work outside the box and deliver to Graham. The only problem there is so far is that he hasn't taken his chances and just doesn't look too sharp in front of the goal.

However i have full confidence in Mcglyns signings and i am sure he will develop into a good striker for us. It just might take a bit longer.

He got to his peak quicker than I expected! He'll get you a dozen goals. Personally I liked the big guy, but you have described him perfectly. Next step is fans frustration..

Being an Ayr fan, i have to be honest and say Raith passed us to death at times, and were definitely the better team. The 3-0 scoreline flattered you and i thought you deserved at least a draw. Baird, disappointed me last night. Was never anywhere near the box and looked tired! If hes the best striker in the league then the quality of 1st div. football is not as high as i thought- maybe he just had an off-night! Reynolds hasnt improved since leaving Ayr and the young boy from Hearts looked so uncomfortable! However Hamill looked like a player, as did Graham.....

So overall, we took our chances and Raith didnt. Great to see my school-pal Roddy Paterson scoring aswell!!! :D

It's amazing how many goals he actually does get considering he spends so little time in the box.

I thought it was aimed at me but good play with words.Keep it up

So its no longer "Graham has been brought in to convert crosses with his napper. This is why Hammil has been signed, to provide excellent delivery."?

Not if you have simplistic view on football.

Wow, you're hard work!

I still see nothing wrong with the line "Graham has been brought in to convert crosses with his napper. This is why Hammil has been signed, to provide excellent delivery." Maybe it's my fault for not stating "IMO" or quantifying my original post but I assumed my fellow fans would know that posting on a forum represents my own opinion and would've got the jist of my point anyway.

Of course Graham's going to do more than just convert with his napper, but McGlynn would have targeted Hammil & Graham to give us better options with crosses and headers. McBride & Tade didn't really manage that too effectively last season so it was an area to improve upon.

If it's too simplistic a view then it's only a by-product of watching our team under the management of JM (not a criticism by the way). With the best of intentions we cannot say our play has been anything elaborate over the last 5 or so years.

A wee change of tack here,

I was just wondering if ( bear in mind I've been away at work for over a week) anyone had heard on the QT if there was any news about our other loan signing?

I know that we are at the mercy of the loanee's own club as to when they let him come but what with only having a wee squad I thought now that Davo has officially been placed on the sick list there'd maybe be an annoucent this week.

Then again perhaps depending on what position the loanee plays (eapecially if a Striker or winger?) McGlynns waiting to see whether or or not he needs to re-prioritise and bring in a defender or midfielder.

A wee change of tack here,

I was just wondering if ( bear in mind I've been away at work for over a week) anyone had heard on the QT if there was any news about our other loan signing?

I know that we are at the mercy of the loanee's own club as to when they let him come but what with only having a wee squad I thought now that Davo has officially been placed on the sick list there'd maybe be an annoucent this week.

Then again perhaps depending on what position the loanee plays (eapecially if a Striker or winger?) McGlynns waiting to see whether or or not he needs to re-prioritise and bring in a defender or midfielder.

According to my new source which I'm regularly using (Matthew Elder's twitter), the SPL team are holding onto the player for now and McGlynn's interest is waning.

Interesting link from the OS

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/process/CreateJournalEntryComment?moduleId=10138489&entryId=12494010&finalize=true

My fave quote;

"How he envisioned playing one touch football by investing in players who needed 3 touches just to control the ball is still a mystery." :D

Interesting link from the OS

http://inbedwithmara...0&finalize=true

My fave quote;

"How he envisioned playing one touch football by investing in players who needed 3 touches just to control the ball is still a mystery." :D

brilliant article! heard the story about AC St. Louis' first game before but it's still a belter. imagine that was us though...huh.gif

edit to add: i'm stealing that quote for my sig, cracker! biggrin.gif

Edited by moonhound

Well, that's big Dave the Chairman away now, he's now that all encompassing of terms, "ambassador".

I'd rather not see a lot of criticism aimed at the guy, there's damn few who know just how much (or, in fairness, how little, although I find it unlikely) he's been doing for the club.

Anyway, commence the slavering for a new Chairman "like that Ramon Abramovich fella". Sustainability is the name of the game.

Dave Somerville deserves nothing but praise for what he has done for the Rovers.

Agreed, I had a feeling at the start of the season something will happen behind the scenes this year. It can't be easy being a chairman at any of the first division clubs but i think he's done a lot for the club and for little reward. There's only so long someone has the patience to do what he was doing and i hope he enjoys his new role but this is now a time to test the boards strength. Lets hope the right choice is made quickly and with as little fuss as possible.

Quite disappointed he's away. He was a good chairman and a genuinely nice guy, always used to stop for a wee chat when he seen us standing outside the ground at away games.

He usually just asked if we enjoyed the game etc. but I remember after the 0-0 game up at Dens Park last season (the one where John Baird missed a penalty) he stopped and said to us "If any of you boys can take penalties you're signed!" biggrin.gif

All the best in you're new role, Dave.

Didn't he claim he'd be back in the role shortly? Seems like a pointless lie.

Otherwise, not being privvy to the Official Secrets down Stark's Park way, I've no idea how successful he and the board have been (and I expect there's a good reason they keep it that way) but there's no doubt he seems to have done a power of work for the club. Cheers, all the best etc.

Bit of a bitchy article towards the powers that be. Can't say I blame them either, a play-off spot at the bare minimum is desperately, desperately needed to breathe some kind of life into both this league and the SPL.

So who does the real work at Starks Park then?

Who pays the management and players?

Who files team sheets and bookings and arranges transport and meals for matches?

Who manages the ground staff and office people and turnstile operators and security and ball boys and mascots and press releases?

Is it all part-timers who do the work for free?

How much work to the real owners actually do themselves?

Genuinely interested.

Davie was a genuinely good guy and hard worker and on that basis will be missed although I see hes taken on a role as an ‘Ambassador’ for the club with the objective of securing new, long-term and sustainable investment for RRFC.I think this is an important role and something we have been lacking in for years.I am slightly concerned that the club will be running without a chairman and basically rudderless and not wanting to be too critical of them but we are now left with two directors with any clout holding the fort.Admittedly they have invested time and money(loaned)repayable when and if the club received exceptional income only for a year or so ago to request shares in the club in exchange.They were also on the board when the Smith and McGowan combination were invited to take over our club which resulted in almost putting the club out of business,ultimately leading to where we are at the today.Hopefully my slight concerns are unfounded.

I might be in the minority here but I am not too fussed about the Chairman leaving. His overall financial management of the club has been woeful.

2 things do concern me though.

1) the statement that we are not appointing a new Chairman. Really!? Can a company operate without a Chairman and still comply with the companies act?

2) What is going on behind the scenes? Who holds the influence and who is making the decisions? Is the Board split?