The New Raith Rovers Thread

Good post, mental green dot given. ;) Sums up the game, though I'd have to say Reynolds didn't have much time to make an impact and generally hasn't had much to do so far.

Maybe so, but in those 20 minute cameo appearances he's been given (I've seen 4 of them), he has literally contributed nothing. With that in mind, it's no surprise that he's not been given any more than he has.

I've said it before - I don't want to get on someone's back early on, but he really has to start contributing when he gets on the pitch or else I'll have to write this one off as a poor loan signing.

Edited by Michael W

McGlynn has been led a merry dance with the promise of a striker from an SPL side and it's now looking doubtful we'll be getting him at all, so it's not really his fault we're a little short up front. We'll bring in someone from another club before the window is out I imagine. Having said that Graham and Baird scored 26 goals at this level between them last season. I'd be surprised if there's a partnership around that can better that? Not really much more McGlynn can do.

The fact of the matter is, people like you and three quarters of Fantalk spend most of your time shouting that we need a "poacher" or "an out and out goalscorer" when John Baird is as good as they come in this league. We've got that mythical "15 goals a season" striker so why not be happy about it? Danny Thomson could even pass as the ever elusive "creative midfielder"...

Graham and Baird have scored 26 goals between them at this level but not as a partnership. I personally think that their style of play does not suit the partnership. Baird works his arse off, makes good runs and challenges for balls he has no right to get, he plays great passes and gets into good areas to get his goals. Problem is Graham isn't the finisher of Bairds hard work. How many times already have we missed chances in a game but dominated and passed the other team off the park? On sat we had a 15 min spell where we could have killed off Falkirk but missed chances. Luckily it did not come back to haunt us but later on in the season we might not be so lucky...

The fact of the matter is, people like you and three quarters of Fantalk spend most of your time shouting that we need a "poacher" or "an out and out goalscorer" when John Baird is as good as they come in this league. We've got that mythical "15 goals a season" striker so why not be happy about it? Danny Thomson could even pass as the ever elusive "creative midfielder"...

I think the point that is trying to be made is that Graham and Baird are both quite similar and another type of player could create a more dangerous looking partnership. Nobody is asking for anything ridiculous. I just believe we would benifit from a different option to provide a more balanced strikeforce.

Brian Graham did score about 10 last season but I think you can count on one hand the amount of goals he had scored prior to last season. He wasn't exactly a favourite at Morton. His overall contribution is more than adequate, and that's fine, but we could do with a partner better suited to playing of Graham or Baird.

This all stems from the consensus that while in general we have played well and created chances we have not taken them and, to use a cliche, we have lacked a 'cutting edge'. I don't think anybody is "shouting" or demanding that we need a "poacher" who is going to score 25 a season simply that a different style of player would compliment Baird or Graham better than each other. I also understand we have been trying to bring in a further loan plaer. I don't think anybody is being unrealistic, as you seem to be suggesting.

Baird works his arse off, makes good runs and challenges for balls he has no right to get, he plays great passes and gets into good areas to get his goals.

Much the same as Tade who was Bairds partner last season in a team that. finished up runners up in the league

On sat we had a 15 min spell where we could have killed off Falkirk but missed chances. Luckily it did not come back to haunt us but later on in the season we might not be so lucky...

Easy to blame the strikers but credit had to be given to Falkirks keeper

Baird and Graham aren't the same type of player though!

Graham has been brought in to convert crosses with his napper. This is why Hammil has been signed, to provide excellent delivery. Unfortunately Graham hasn't looked like he's a great header(er) when presented with those chances.

SO FAR...

edited for grammar

Edited by pantene proV

Graham isn't very good at heading a ball, if that's the tactic then I'm not sure how McGlynn came up with it.

Punting up to a big man .....not us were knocking it about like Barcelona this year...great to watch....means we will probably get relegated.

Graham and Baird have scored 26 goals between them at this level but not as a partnership. I personally think that their style of play does not suit the partnership. Baird works his arse off, makes good runs and challenges for balls he has no right to get, he plays great passes and gets into good areas to get his goals. Problem is Graham isn't the finisher of Bairds hard work. How many times already have we missed chances in a game but dominated and passed the other team off the park? On sat we had a 15 min spell where we could have killed off Falkirk but missed chances. Luckily it did not come back to haunt us but later on in the season we might not be so lucky...

Fair enough, I see what you're saying - picked you up wrong previously. Thing is I don't think, with the way we're playing, we can afford to have a player who's sole job is to get into the box and stick away chances. Baird doesn't make the chances and space himself, as good as he is, he relies on the movement of Graham and previously Tade to drag players out of position and take up a couple of men - both were/are good at doing so. Graham perhaps isn't a deadly finisher (having said that I can only think of his two chances against Falkirk since he came in?) but as I said in my previous post John Baird is pretty much as good as it gets in this league, and we know he misses a good few chances himself, so what can really be done? We do need another option up there, partly because we're low on numbers and partly because, as has been mentioned, Reynolds has contributed literally nothing so far, so hopefully if one does arrive it'll be someone who can bring something different to the team.

I think the point that is trying to be made is that Graham and Baird are both quite similar and another type of player could create a more dangerous looking partnership. Nobody is asking for anything ridiculous. I just believe we would benifit from a different option to provide a more balanced strikeforce.

Brian Graham did score about 10 last season but I think you can count on one hand the amount of goals he had scored prior to last season. He wasn't exactly a favourite at Morton. His overall contribution is more than adequate, and that's fine, but we could do with a partner better suited to playing of Graham or Baird.

This all stems from the consensus that while in general we have played well and created chances we have not taken them and, to use a cliche, we have lacked a 'cutting edge'. I don't think anybody is "shouting" or demanding that we need a "poacher" who is going to score 25 a season simply that a different style of player would compliment Baird or Graham better than each other. I also understand we have been trying to bring in a further loan plaer. I don't think anybody is being unrealistic, as you seem to be suggesting.

I don't think they're similar at all. I think if you told Baird to get into the six yard box and ignore the rest of play he'd do it. I think it's just the way McGlynn likes his sides to play, and even with such a dramatic change in playing style it seems he still wants the strikers to drop off into space and create chances - fair enough. I actually don't think it'll be as much of an issue with no Davidson though as all four current midfielders are more than capable of creating/scoring. I'd be more worried if the chances weren't coming, or like our first season up here there was never anyone in the box to get on the end of them.

I agree something different up top (preferably a bit of pace) would be excellent but it's been out of McGlynn's hands so far - he's working on it. Not much more he can do.

Fair enough, I see what you're saying - picked you up wrong previously. Thing is I don't think, with the way we're playing, we can afford to have a player who's sole job is to get into the box and stick away chances. Baird doesn't make the chances and space himself, as good as he is, he relies on the movement of Graham and previously Tade to drag players out of position and take up a couple of men - both were/are good at doing so. Graham perhaps isn't a deadly finisher (having said that I can only think of his two chances against Falkirk since he came in?) but as I said in my previous post John Baird is pretty much as good as it gets in this league, and we know he misses a good few chances himself, so what can really be done? We do need another option up there, partly because we're low on numbers and partly because, as has been mentioned, Reynolds has contributed literally nothing so far, so hopefully if one does arrive it'll be someone who can bring something different to the team.

I don't think they're similar at all. I think if you told Baird to get into the six yard box and ignore the rest of play he'd do it. I think it's just the way McGlynn likes his sides to play, and even with such a dramatic change in playing style it seems he still wants the strikers to drop off into space and create chances - fair enough. I actually don't think it'll be as much of an issue with no Davidson though as all four current midfielders are more than capable of creating/scoring. I'd be more worried if the chances weren't coming, or like our first season up here there was never anyone in the box to get on the end of them.

I agree something different up top (preferably a bit of pace) would be excellent but it's been out of McGlynn's hands so far - he's working on it. Not much more he can do.

I think the problem is that Tade was such a different type of player to Graham in the sense that when Tade picked the ball up outside the box he could beat a player or 2 with his pace and his "skill", then could find Baird waiting in the box for a shot or a rebound. Graham isn't as fast and struggles to beat a player with skill or speed which leaves Baird to do the hard work outside the box and deliver to Graham. The only problem there is so far is that he hasn't taken his chances and just doesn't look too sharp in front of the goal.

However i have full confidence in Mcglyns signings and i am sure he will develop into a good striker for us. It just might take a bit longer.

I personally have been quite impressed with Graham so far, some decent touches, a good lay off on Saturday and quite unlucky not to have scored himself. Got to be realistic, no team in the first division is likely to get a Brewster, in fact can't see any team outwith the old firm holding onto a player of that quality ever again.

The comparison of the strike force of the nineties is a bit unfair, the whole team and league was a lot stronger in those days.

Tade wasn't exactly prolific in front of goal either. Graham has scored one more goal than Tade so far (none v minus one).

I agree Tade was a handful for the opposition and often beat a man or two but by no means a great player, he scored some good goals, but missed more that he should have scored. I've got to trust McGlynn's judgement as he knows the game and players a lot better than me, I'll even try and trust his decision to put Reynolds on the pitch.

so far imo..

Good news Donaldson has got a longer contract looks a prospect and hopefully we see more of the same from the youth system that we have.

Graham looks like a good player. Not the player i thought we were getting , worked his socks off on saturday getting into good positions which he was unlucky to not score from and also which i was most surprised about after seing him agains morecambe was his tracking back put in several good challanges helping break up play and starting attacks.

Hamill looks good not got great pace to beat a man but does have the odd ball control needed to compensate i think, will put in a good cross and could be good for a few this season.

Reynolds unfortunately seems exactly the player weve heard from ayr fans we were getting not been impressed with him although hes basically only been given a cameo apearence in the games he has featured in so still reserving a bit of judgement.

Thomson looks like a really good nippy wee player who could create chances and take them. only downside i can see is both him and Walker in cm are both similar types of players more attacking than defensive minded.

quite pleased with the start weve made though not too disheartened by the ayr result as at the end of the day we arent going to be world beaters this season, but should be strong enough to sustain 1st division football relatively comfortably (fingers crossed n all that).

Who said they were?

Has he?Did McGlynn tell you this?I see much more to his game than that.

Socca_G & Enigma both said as much no more than 1 page back. You have been reading the thread, right?

You're quite correct that there is more to his game but you can't deny the fact that our 2 summer signings (6'2" striker + Joe Hammil's crosses) = headed opportunities in the box. You won't have missed, either, the change in our corner set pieces with Hammil joining Walker in taking them. Not worked so far but you can see the reasoning in a side with few tall players; create some room and try to pick out Ellis & Graham.

Not too much of a leap of faith to come to that conclusion, no?

Edited by pantene proV