The New Raith Rovers Thread

The safe standing section wouldn’t be in front of the main stand, it would be at the North stand side, the are looking at putting a shelter over the currently open section with standing in front of it. The idea is to go back to having all 4 sides of the ground in use on match days again.

The safe standing section wouldn’t be in front of the main stand, it would be at the North stand side, the are looking at putting a shelter over the currently open section with standing in front of it. The idea is to go back to having all 4 sides of the ground in use on match days again.

Could see that being popular with the young team and the auld duffers that think they’re still in their teens (FF) giving a bit of aggro back and forward with the away fans ;)

Could see that being popular with the young team and the auld duffers that think they’re still in their teens (FF) giving a bit of aggro back and forward with the away fans [emoji6]

It's something we've really missed out on at Starks for so many years. There's generations of Raith fans who've never experienced a real atmosphere between home and away fans. Nothing beats being close to the oppositions fans and giving it tight to them. A bit of 'banter' always makes for a better atmosphere.

I remember being at Brockville for a game we lost 2-1. That little section beside the away fans with the cage between us was amazing. The atmosphere that day was fantastic.

Its not even a case of having “the banter” between away fans. Makes for a better atmosphere having fans in more parts of the ground. Use to love standing behind the dugouts to watch the game. Think sim is quite rightly looking, not only at the core support, but the extra 1500-2000 that were at the alloa game and finding ways to get them back. Not only that but the making it a more attractive proposition for away fans to come if we have safe standing. These things are worth a try and will understandably take time.

14 hours ago, SuperHans said:

£9k sounds about right. There was also meant to be a bit of a 'relationship' between Michael Woods and Raith when we started using it. I think it benefited both parties. 

I imagine our training times are very much "low demand" for a lot of the facilities as well. And you'd expect some sort of a bulk discount too. 

Doubt there'll be many savings involved there as we'll still need to use the gyms etc. even if we're not hiring out pitches. 

I imagine our training times are very much "low demand" for a lot of the facilities as well. And you'd expect some sort of a bulk discount too. 
Doubt there'll be many savings involved there as we'll still need to use the gyms etc. even if we're not hiring out pitches. 

Yeah Sim did say that we'll still need their indoor facility and the Fife Leisure facilities if we use KDY pool and gym.

I remember hearing that during the McKinnon days, he was only ever at the stadium on home games. Any day to day business that needed done at Starks was done by Laurie Ellis. It's a strange thought when you realise that our players and coaches spend very little time actually at the stadium. I've heard that teams like Peterhead and Stranrear do their training in the central belt. It's an easier way to attract players I suppose.

I think it’ll be pretty much the same these days. All the interviews etc are done at Micheal Woods and I can’t imagine any reason why the players or management would need to use the stadium other than for matches.

Sim said that we only use the stadium for 3 hours, around 20 days of the year... out of 365! Not a great way of attracting sponsorship etc. The pitch was the first part of getting more use of our own facilities and to be able to attract more investment as a result.

Yeah Sim did say that we'll still need their indoor facility and the Fife Leisure facilities if we use KDY pool and gym.

I remember hearing that during the McKinnon days, he was only ever at the stadium on home games. Any day to day business that needed done at Starks was done by Laurie Ellis. It's a strange thought when you realise that our players and coaches spend very little time actually at the stadium. I've heard that teams like Peterhead and Stranrear do their training in the central belt. It's an easier way to attract players I suppose.

Weirder than that, I know some part time players for the likes of Peterhead and Elgin who train with other teams closer to home through the week and only meet up on Saturdays with their own team.

In terms of atmospheres being better when we were next to each other, I remember a game at East End Park the season we won the League and League Cup, that was basically a must win for us.

I was right next to the cage, and loads of folk rushed it when we went a goal up, before the stewards shoved everyone away, then we ended up under a massive flag, which was the done thing in those days.

Before we’d even stopped celebrating, Pars fans were going radge back at us because they’d been awarded a penalty, which barely anyone had seen because of the flag.

By the time we’d moved the flag to one side, we had just enough time to see Hamish French’s run up and Scott Thomson saving his penalty.

Cue another massive rush to storm the cage and the stewards going mental. I remember a Pars fan actually turned round and head-butted the back of the stand.

This all occurred in the space of around two and a half minutes. Sensational. I’m sure there was around 11000 there that night.

14 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

In terms of atmospheres being better when we were next to each other, I remember a game at East End Park the season we won the League and League Cup, that was basically a must win for us.

I was right next to the cage, and loads of folk rushed it when we went a goal up, before the stewards shoved everyone away, then we ended up under a massive flag, which was the done thing in those days.

Before we’d even stopped celebrating, Pars fans were going radge back at us because they’d been awarded a penalty, which barely anyone had seen because of the flag.

By the time we’d moved the flag to one side, we had just enough time to see Hamish French’s run up and Scott Thomson saving his penalty.

Cue another massive rush to storm the cage and the stewards going mental. I remember a Pars fan actually turned round and head-butted the back of the stand.

This all occurred in the space of around two and a half minutes. Sensational. I’m sure there was around 11000 there that night.

midweek game and we won 1-0, ally graham header?

7 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

midweek game and we won 1-0, ally graham header?

Yeah it was the first team we'd played them since we won the Coca Cola cup and qualified for Europe. I recall us reminding them of the fact one or twice during the evening :whistle

Fantastic night that was. 

That would have been a great game to have been at. I'd been following the Rovers for a few years before that game but wasn't at that one for some reason. Have many memories of games away to Falkirk and their cage area between both sets of fans. Always crazy and at times went beyond just 'banter'. Seen us lose more times than I care to remember at Brockville, the 2-1 defeat probably being the biggest game we'd had there during my time following the club. The away end was like a tin of sardines that day. The small cage separation up in Aberdeen for the Scottish Cup game we won 1-0 was a riot at full time with Aberdeen fans signalling for us to meet them outside. They were a bunch of slavering messes at the final whistle. 

19 minutes ago, Raithie said:

That would have been a great game to have been at. I'd been following the Rovers for a few years before that game but wasn't at that one for some reason. Have many memories of games away to Falkirk and their cage area between both sets of fans. Always crazy and at times went beyond just 'banter'. Seen us lose more times than I care to remember at Brockville, the 2-1 defeat probably being the biggest game we'd had there during my time following the club. The away end was like a tin of sardines that day. The small cage separation up in Aberdeen for the Scottish Cup game we won 1-0 was a riot at full time with Aberdeen fans signalling for us to meet them outside. They were a bunch of slavering messes at the final whistle. 

I missed the glory days like above.

Aberdeen away was superb though. I'll never tire of talking about that game. Some girl in her early 20s was ripping into our fans when Darren Smith skelped the post. She was going utter ballistic with rage when Tade scored. By full time, she kicked the seat in front of her in half. I don't think I've ever been on the end of more insults than walking down by that cage. I'm so glad I got along to that game. Probably the most I've seen us being up against it in terms of injuries and squad issues, only for us to breeze a game. Aberdeen only had one shot on target.

34 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Aberdeen away was superb though. I'll never tire of talking about that game. Some girl in her early 20s was ripping into our fans when Darren Smith skelped the post. She was going utter ballistic with rage when Tade scored. By full time, she kicked the seat in front of her in half. I don't think I've ever been on the end of more insults than walking down by that cage. I'm so glad I got along to that game. Probably the most I've seen us being up against it in terms of injuries and squad issues, only for us to breeze a game. Aberdeen only had one shot on target.

Thing about those McGlynn teams was that, for the most part, there was an implicit trust that they'd give it their all, and wouldn't embarrass the club.

51 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Aye it was a hoot. I have no idea why I decided to head up for that game in all honesty as it's a game I'd normally have swerved. I was really down in the dumps at us conceding the late equaliser in the first game and a Tuesday night away to Aberdeen (with really bad weather on route) wasn't overly appealing and it was a last minute decision to jump on the supporters bus. So glad I did, some atmosphere that night. The way that stand is built meant if you weren't careful when coming out onto the stairs you could fall flat on your coupon. We scored and cue my mate jumping out his seat into the stair well with one foot on the stairs and the other going down into the row in front of him. Think he managed to tumble a good 3/4 of the way down still celebrating going down each step. 

No harm in posting this again, just because ;)

Think McGlynn's 09/10 team was my favourite of the bunch, edging out the 08/09 and 10/11 teams. I know the 08/09 team actually won the league and had that brilliant forward line, but the 09/10 was in my eyes far more blood and snotters heroic. 

Would rank his teams (mostly from my enjoyment of watching them, rather than what they won or their technical ability):

1. 09/10

2.08/09

3. 10/11

4. 11/12 (Mostly based on Graham's post hernia performances)

5. 06/07 (Only half a season, obviously)

6. 07/08

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah it was the first team we'd played them since we won the Coca Cola cup and qualified for Europe. I recall us reminding them of the fact one or twice during the evening :whistle

Fantastic night that was. 

aye so do I , beating the pars is always good but that night was sweet and watching the stunned silence after they missed, priceless

On 7/26/2018 at 11:34, Beachbum said:

At present they train in Glenrothes and from what I've been told it costs Rovers £90000 a year. That, I think, is one of the reasons for the new surface and training in Kirkcaldy.

There was an interview on the "tell him he's Pele" podcast with an ex sports scientist and he was extremely upbeat about training in glenrothes, said it was a massive plus point for the club in selling itself to players.