The New Raith Rovers Thread

34 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Every time I hear Sim's radical plans for the ground I keep thinking he's went round the bend. It just sounds so 'not us' when it comes to what we can physically afford or do. But hey ho it'll be exciting if Sim's vision pans out the way he hopes and benefits the club in the long term. Quite limited space at the railways side to struggling to wrap my head around how everything would look with a function suite/hospitality/media centre AND safe standing. 

I wondered that myself when I was watching - I wondered if the railway stand might just be that - hospitality, function suite, media, changing facilities, control room - without actually any seats in that part, or perhaps just limited seating for the hospitality.

Nice to hear an actual plan going forward rather than just keeping the club afloat. 
Also really like how he wants the club to be based in Kirkcaldy with regards to all aspects of training. 
Where do you currently train?

I'd have thought training somewhere like Edinburgh would be more beneficial than training in Kircaldy.

45 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Nice to hear an actual plan going forward rather than just keeping the club afloat. 

Also really like how he wants the club to be based in Kirkcaldy with regards to all aspects of training. 

I think its very important to have the team based in Kirkcaldy,players have lost touch with the town as only here once a fortnight potentially, guys like jock mcstay recount tales of nights out in Jackie O's and knowing fans on a personal level.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Where do you currently train?

I'd have thought training somewhere like Edinburgh would be more beneficial than training in Kircaldy.

At present they train in Glenrothes and from what I've been told it costs Rovers £90000 a year. That, I think, is one of the reasons for the new surface and training in Kirkcaldy.

I think its very important to have the team based in Kirkcaldy,players have lost touch with the town as only here once a fortnight potentially, guys like jock mcstay recount tales of nights out in Jackie O's and knowing fans on a personal level.
Not sure that remotely makes a difference tbh.
At present they train in Glenrothes and from what I've been told it costs Rovers £90000 a year. That, I think, is one of the reasons for the new surface and training in Kirkcaldy.
This, however, makes a huge difference, a 90k a year saving isn't to be sniffed at. Forgot you guys had installed a plastic pitch at Starks.

Two plus weeks to our 1st proper home game & we need 300 more season ticket sales to show the strength of our support. Please make sure Rovers have your email details if you still need

persuading to buy one.

As much as I applaud Sims ambition( probably no different to any supporters)on many things,most are way,way in the future if at all.If I was  cynical  I,d say It could be seen as an attempt  to pacify supporters

Much rather hear things like, if we have received the money from David Bates move and if so how much?

As much as I applaud Sims ambition( probably no different to any supporters)on many things,most are way,way in the future if at all.If I was  cynical  I,d say It could be seen as an attempt  to pacify supporters
Much rather hear things like, if we have received the money from David Bates move and if so how much?

The guys just forked out almost a million pounds on a new surface. Not exactly a cheap way to pacify supporters.

35 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Couldn't care less now about the Bates' money. I did once but not now. 

Looking at the bigger picture, John Sim is trying to identify loss makers and get rid of them eg renting out Michael Woods and renovating the grass pitch every close season. He's also looked at every part of Stark's Park with professional people to see what can be done long term to generate income. Generating income from redundant buildings is an absolute first for a board at Raith Rovers and deserves to be commended not criticised.

I like John Sim and the board he's put together and I like the way he's going about things. He's very open and honest which is refreshing. Compare that to the mafia of 15 years ago.

I think you’ve added an extra 0 to that figure

Have to agree with a lot of the comments, I quite like the direction John Sim is taking us at the moment. I'm not sure on the plastic pitch yet, though can appreciate the guys spent a fair whack on it.  

If the figures are correct that we are saving 90k on Michael Woods, then fair play that's a great saving. 

The figure  of £90k a year for the Michael Woods facility would be around £2k per week taking out the weeks not part of the football season. Surely that's nowhere near correct? 

An absolute rinsing of the club if so. 

Edited by Michael W

The figure  of £90k a year for the Michael Woods facility would be around £2k per week taking out the weeks not part of the football season. Surely that's nowhere near correct?  An absolute rinsing of the club if so. 

If you were to rent half an 11 aside pitch for an hour it would be over £50, same as a 5 a side hall. Full pitch over £100. That x 20 hours. Maybe 4 hours a day 5 days a week?

£9k sounds about right. There was also meant to be a bit of a 'relationship' between Michael Woods and Raith when we started using it. I think it benefited both parties with profile for the Michael Woods facilities and Raith getting new equipment etc.

Sim seems very switched on when it comes to his vision. You can't argue with putting his money where his mouth is and getting things sorted. He wanted a plastic pitch 2 seasons ago and we've got one now. He's obviously smart when it comes to money and protecting investments so I trust him with that side of thing.

Interesting about safe standing being more likely in front of the main stand than the railway stand too. I'd actually prefer that to the railway stand to be honest. I heard that there's talk of widening the pitch in the future by knocking the wall down and levelling the ground to the bottom of the front of the main stand so that might be where the standing comes in.