The New Raith Rovers Thread

5 minutes ago, batross07 said:

Are you for real?! After all the guff that was served up last season, today was excellent in parts! Some of the link up play and one touch football was great to finally see! Flanagan had a great game! My motm! Nisbet done well too. Won a lot of balls and held/linked play well! Took the penalty really well as well as his second goal. Apart from Stenny hitting the woodwork, what else did they do? Had a lot of the ball but severely lacked a killer instinct. So I can’t really see how we were so fortuitous.

Don’t get why so many rovers fans only look for the negatives. Especially when there were plenty of positives there to see today

Yup, I'm for real.

When we, on  one or two occasions, got the ball on the deck, we did indeed look good but that wa what 3% maybe 5% the rest was hoofball and that is down to the players not sticking to the game plan or lacking the ability to do so. Nissy took the pen excellently and I was glad to see he refuse to hand the ball over. As for looking for negatives, that is all you hae done with my post.

Were you happy with the abject performances from Buchanan, Matthews and Wedderburn, Wright nearly getting caught out again by being Billy big boots. Did you even see the instructions being passed by BS to his team which were largely being ignored (cue arms in the air in frustration).

Murray was my MotM, probably the most consistent player we have and, for what its worth, last years 'guff' was far superior to what I witnessed at Stranraer and today.

10 minutes ago, lgb61 said:

Yup, I'm for real.

When we, on  one or two occasions, got the ball on the deck, we did indeed look good but that wa what 3% maybe 5% the rest was hoofball and that is down to the players not sticking to the game plan or lacking the ability to do so. Nissy took the pen excellently and I was glad to see he refuse to hand the ball over. As for looking for negatives, that is all you hae done with my post.

Were you happy with the abject performances from Buchanan, Matthews and Wedderburn, Wright nearly getting caught out again by being Billy big boots. Did you even see the instructions being passed by BS to his team which were largely being ignored (cue arms in the air in frustration).

Murray was my MotM, probably the most consistent player we have and, for what its worth, last years 'guff' was far superior to what I witnessed at Stranraer and today.

What instructions were ignored? 

47 minutes ago, lgb61 said:

Result flattered us... 

No it didn't. 

Stenhousemuir hit the post and that's pretty much as close as they got. 

For their wee spell in the 2nd half we defended resolutely. A good performance isn't all about what we do in an attacking sense. 

12 minutes ago, lgb61 said:

Yup, I'm for real.

Don't upset the P&B hierarchy they don't like it!

Just now, Frank conner said:

Every time Smith wants it played on the deck they ignore him. 

We played some great stuff on the deck at times today and the only time we launched the ball was if the defenders didn't have a safe option on the ground. 

Understandable really. 

2 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

We played some great stuff on the deck at times today and the only time we launched the ball was if the defenders didn't have a safe option on the ground. 

Understandable really. 

We did but only a few times it's been going on for a while that players have been ignoring Smiths instructions. We won but it was far from being a great performance. 

Yup, I'm for real.

I would say it was a lot more than 3-5% of the time. I felt we played a lot of good football today. More so than last season. I am honestly baffled that you think last years performances were better than what was on show today.

Buchanan was frustrating to watch in the first half by repeatedly being called offside. But he did improve in the second half. I thought ross Matthews had a decent game also. Especially since he is continually being played out of position. I can only recall Wright being caught out for one cross in the second half, other than that he done fine with what he had to do IMO. So not really sure how he was being billy big boots as you put it? Does he have that tag because he comes from rangers?

What instructions were ignored?

You say I only focused on the negatives from your post, but that is because it was mostly negative comments

We did but only a few times it's been going on for a while that players have been ignoring Smiths instructions. We won but it was far from being a great performance. 

Dont think anyone is saying it’s a great performance. Like most games there are positives to be taken, but there is still stuff we need to work on. Mainly crossing and defending.

1 minute ago, buchan30 said:

Dont think anyone is saying it’s a great performance. Like most games there are positives to be taken, but there is still stuff we need to work on. Mainly crossing and defending.

Some of our defending was poor today I'm sure once we get davo back it will be a bit more solid.

With the injuries we have at the moment I’ll settle for 3 points with a below par performance. I’m easy pleased, a win trumps the performance every time for me. It was interesting to see, when we scored the penalty, that there were large parts of the stand where people couldn’t be bothered their arse to stand up and applaud.

1 minute ago, Raithie said:

With the injuries we have at the moment I’ll settle for 3 points with a below par performance. I’m easy pleased, a win trumps the performance every time for me. It was interesting to see, when we scored the penalty, that there were large parts of the stand where people couldn’t be bothered their arse to stand up and applaud.

I'm blaming that on the App.

7 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

Agreed that it wasn't a great overall performance but there was some promising signs that we're capable of taking teams apart. 

I know that Smith was frustrated up at Cove with regards to his instructions largely being ignored but I didn't see any evidence of this happening today. Part and parcel of the game that the gaffer will be frustrated with some passages of play that he would like done differently. Doesn't mean that the players are intentionally defying his orders. 

We are quietly efficient at home. That sort of play is unlikely to get fans animated and out of their seats. Personally, I find us a bit dull to watch. There were large swathes of the game with little goalmouth action. We are good at winning though.